+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Jan 27, 2016
Tolexmi said:
if your have been living together for many years and u have enough proof, then just go ahead and apply as common law. getting married doesn't make it any easier or quicker.
Thank you. I keep hearing people say, "Just get married; it will make it so much easier" but without any explanation. I wondered if maybe married couples are subject to less scrutiny, but that seemed unlikely to me.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
MilesAway said:
1. Yes, both are issued. The COPR is needed for future dealings with CIC, so everyone gets it.
2. Yes, that's possible. Just give a Canadian address.
Thank you so much for the reply. Hopefully the card is allowed to be forwarded as I have tenants in my house right now. :)

C.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
reginaphalange said:
Thank you. I keep hearing people say, "Just get married; it will make it so much easier" but without any explanation. I wondered if maybe married couples are subject to less scrutiny, but that seemed unlikely to me.
Common-law partners need to provide solid proof of cohabitation.
This is not required for married couples.

sikalupi

Dec 26, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
AOR Received.
28-06-2016
File Transfer...
08-08-2016
Med's Done....
upfront
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 18-10-2016
LANDED..........
02-11-2016
Is it advised to file an outland application with the sponsor non yet living in Canada but intending to live there just after family members become PR?

I talked with a consultant that says better to settle-in before filing the app, even an outland, if the sponsor is not living in Canada...

Is it right? This would be for us to postpone the application a couple of months but we'll gladly do it if can help

ty

Jan 27, 2016
sikalupi said:
Is it advised to file an outland application with the sponsor non yet living in Canada but intending to live there just after family members become PR?

I talked with a consultant that says better to settle-in before filing the app, even an outland, if the sponsor is not living in Canada...

Is it right? This would be for us to postpone the application a couple of months but we'll gladly do it if can help

ty
I'm nowhere close to as knowledgeable as everyone else here, but from what I understand, you need to be able to demonstrate in some way that the sponsor does plan to live in Canada once everyone else has PR. This could mean having a place to live, having a job lined up, letters or emails to friends and family that discuss sponsor's plan to move back to Canada, etc. I'm actually in the exact same situation as you right now, so I'm curious to hear what all the experts say.

sheen

Aug 19, 2010
Tolexmi said:
if your have been living together for many years and u have enough proof, then just go ahead and apply as common law. getting married doesn't make it any easier or quicker.
Hi,

Looking for some Help for a Friend.

My friend just recently got his PR, now he is planning to go home(India) on Vacation. He has a girl-friend there who he wants to marry.

CAN THEY JUST DO COURT MARRIAGE THERE (IN INDIA) AND HE COMES BACK WITH THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND APPLY FOR HER SPONSORSHIP?
THEY HAVE BEEN DATING FOR A YEAR, SO THEY HAVE A YEAR WORTH OF CHATS AND CALL LOGS.

WILL THAT HELP?

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
reginaphalange said:
Actually married couple get more scrutiny depending on

1. How long they have been married and

2. time between marriage and application

But for common law, u need a solid proof of cohabitation and a good history of how the relationship developed.

Tolexmi

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2015
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
23-Oct-2015
File Transfer...
09-Nov-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
3-June-2016
LANDED..........
14th July 2016.
sheen said:
Hi,

My friend just recently got his PR, now he is planning to go home(India) on Vacation. He has a girl-friend there who he wants to marry.

CAN THEY JUST DO COURT MARRIAGE THERE (IN INDIA) AND HE COMES BACK WITH THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AND APPLY FOR HER SPONSORSHIP?
THEY HAVE BEEN DATING FOR A YEAR, SO THEY HAVE A YEAR WORTH OF CHATS AND CALL LOGS.

WILL THAT HELP?
Like i said in my last post- CiC scrutinizes married couple seriously especially if the time between marriage and application is pretty short, because it looks like marriage was done just for application purpose.

I usually don't advice people to get married first before they apply.

Bottom line is - if you are in a genuine relationship that has lasted for at least one year, then apply as conjugal/ common law (which ever applies) and present all your proofs. You may also include in your application that you're planning to get married at a certain time and place. That makes it more genuine.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sheen said:
Hi,

WILL THAT HELP?
My understanding is that it's typical in India to have a very big and elaborate wedding with lots of friends and family present. If he does just a court marriage, it may look very suspicious to CIC like he is just doing the marriage so they can apply for PR. It's possible to do, but you have to be very careful when doing things that go against the cultural norm for that country.

I would post this question to the New Delhi forum to get better advice.

mordred36

Feb 24, 2015
Re: Spousal sponsorship (with Canadian Children)

Hello,

I am getting desperate for some help! I am a Canadian citizen living in Quebec.

My spousal sponsorship is now in its 7th month (out of the 17 months). I have already received the Quebec Certificate Certificate. My spouse and children are in Uganda.

We have 2 children (both Canadian citizens ). They are 4 & 2 years old. The separation & single parenthood has already taken too much toll on them especially the 4 year old. She will now no longer talk to me on the phone!

In addition, there is now a pending election in the country where they live & I have received a warning from foreign affairs about the possibility of violence! I asked what i can do & they said I should repatriate the kids to Canada!

The problem is - the kids are too young to come without their mother (especially the 2 year old) & so they are caught in limbo.

The older child is no longer going to school (her former school closed unexpectedly mid-term).

Is there any way I can apply for an expedited process citing the welfare of the children?

Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

mordred36 said:
Hello,

I am getting desperate for some help!

My spousal sponsorship is now in its 7th month (out of the 17). I have already received the Quebec Certificate Certificate.

We have 2 children (both Canadian citizens because of my citizenship). They are 4 & 2 years old. The separation & single parenthood has already taken too much toll on them especially the 4 year old. She will now no longer talk to me on the phone!

In addition, there is now a pending election in the country where they leave & I have received a warning from foreign affairs about the possibility of violence! I asked what i can do & they said I should repatriate the kids to Canada!

The problem is - the kids are too young to come without their mother & so they are caught in limbo.

The older child is no longer going to school (her former school closed unexpectedly mid-term).

Is there any way I can apply for an expedited process citing the welfare of the children?

Thanks.
In general no, there is no such thing as applying for an expedited family class PR app.

If you are that concerned, you can always come to Canada with your Canadian children. Your partner also being able to come, depends on if they need a TRV and if that's approved or not.

willyblue

Star Member
Sep 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/04/2016
AOR Received.
14-04-16
File Transfer...
30/06/2016
Med's Done....
Upfront

Pls help:

I'm currently in the Uk..I was separated for 2yrs before meeting my new girlfriend..My ex is seeing someone new but has been running away from me just to avoid signing the divorce...I'm waiting for my divorce which i started since March 2014 and my ex has refused to sign the divorce and i don't know her where about..

I met my new Canadian girlfriend in August 2014..We dated for 6 months and in March 2015 we decided to move in together. We opened a joined bank account in August 2015. We have lived together now for 10months and She's going back finally in june this year..By june,We would have lived together for 1yr and 4months.

I will be moving back to Nigeria finally by june as well...

We both have our bank statements coming to thesame address since march 2015,phone bills and all other letters coming to our address.
We have alot of pictures since we started dating from August 2014 till date.
We have skype photos with our families,
I have photos of her sisters visiting us in UK..

my question here is this:

1)Since my divorce is taking so long and i can't get married again.. Can i apply for common law partner even though i haven't gotten divorved officially although it is still ongoing..

2)With the above relationship history, do u think it is enough?

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Tolexmi said:
Like i said in my last post- CiC scrutinizes married couple seriously especially if the time between marriage and application is pretty short, because it looks like marriage was done just for application purpose.

I usually don't advice people to get married first before they apply.

Bottom line is - if you are in a genuine relationship that has lasted for at least one year, then apply as conjugal/ common law (which ever applies) and present all your proofs. You may also include in your application that you're planning to get married at a certain time and place. That makes it more genuine.
You can't advise or not advise people generally on this issue. It's totally dependant on each case. There is a HUGE difference between those who come from visa-exempt countries and those who do not. And marriage is often almost a requirement for a lot of countries as the culture demands it.

The fastest apps seem to be those from visa-exempt countries, who are married and have had no prior marriages.

And when people say "it's easer just to get married" generally they are referring to the 1 year living together requirement for common-law. No matter what country you are from, this is tricky as one spouse usually can't work in the other's country while they satisfy this requirement.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
willyblue said:
1)Since my divorce is taking so long and i can't get married again.. Can i apply for common law partner even though i haven't gotten divorved officially although it is still ongoing..
Divorce with an ex is not required to be common-law with a new partner. You can still be married on paper as long as you are separated from them, and common-law to someone else. It won't be an issue.

See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf
5.38. What happens if the common-law partner (principal applicant) is married to another
person?
Persons who are married to third parties may be considered common-law partners provided their
marriage has broken down and they have lived separate and apart from the spouse for long
enough to establish a common-law relationship – at least one year. In this case they must have
cohabited in a conjugal relationship with the common-law partner for at least one year.
Cohabitation with a common-law partner cannot be considered to have started until a physical
separation from the spouse has occurred. A common-law relationship cannot be legally
established if one or both parties continue their marital relationships.

2)With the above relationship history, do u think it is enough?
Collect as many proofs as possible showing shared address. Shared lease/rental agreement is the best, but not essential if you have lots of other supporting proofs of your cohabitation.

mordred36

Feb 24, 2015

Rob_TO said:
In general no, there is no such thing as applying for an expedited family class PR app.

If you are that concerned, you can always come to Canada with your Canadian children. Your partner also being able to come, depends on if they need a TRV and if that's approved or not.
I apologize, perhaps I was not clear in my post.
I am living in Canada & my spouse and children are living in Africa.

I would bring the kids but they are too young to live away from their mother (especially the 2 yr old one). I cannot go live with them because I do not have a work permit for the country they live in.
My wife applied for a TRV but was refused ion the grounds that since she has a spouse in Canada, she was not likely to return to her originating country.