+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi. I am new here so not quite sure what i am doing yet.

My question. I am a Canadian Citizen. My boyfrined/fiancee is British. we want to get married here in BC very soon but how do I keep him in the country? One we marry i will loose Alamoney from the ex. once married we will be fine as my fiancee is ex Army and has a pension so we are covered to some degree but he wants to work. Now, does he come into the country on a work visa and we get married and then apply for the spousal. do we apply for conjugal sponsorship...... i am so confused as to which way is best. we have tonnes of proof of relationship.. albeit, emails, letters, friends, family etc. we have know each other for over 27 years. please someone help.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Kay1 said:
Hi. I am new here so not quite sure what i am doing yet.

My question. I am a Canadian Citizen. My boyfrined/fiancee is British. we want to get married here in BC very soon but how do I keep him in the country? One we marry i will loose Alamoney from the ex. once married we will be fine as my fiancee is ex Army and has a pension so we are covered to some degree but he wants to work. Now, does he come into the country on a work visa and we get married and then apply for the spousal. do we apply for conjugal sponsorship...... i am so confused as to which way is best. we have tonnes of proof of relationship.. albeit, emails, letters, friends, family etc. we have know each other for over 27 years. please someone help.
Conjugal is only if it's impossible for you to live together or get marries, so this is not an option for you.

The best solution for you seems to be to get married and then have you sponsor your then husband for outside permanent residency. He can still be in Canada as long as he has a valid visa, but the application will be processed as if he lived outside of the country. This route is usually faster than applying inland and it also makes it possible for him to travel outside of Canada. The proof you have will come in handy since you have to prove that your relationship is not a scam to get him in to the country.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thank you for replying to me :) what sort of visa would be best for him to come in on? there are so many options it makes my head spin.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i am confused. i have been looking through the Guide 3900 - sponsorship of spouse and it says... i quote

If you are married

You can sponsor the person as your spouse if your marriage is a legally valid civil marriage. If your spouse is of the:

opposite sex and your marriage took place outside Canada, the marriage must be valid both under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place and under Canadian law;

we want to marry in Canada... forgive me for being stupid but does this mean we have to marry outside of Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It doesn't matter where you get married as long as your marriage is recognized in the country you marry in.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Kay1 said:
thank you for replying to me :) what sort of visa would be best for him to come in on? there are so many options it makes my head spin.
Unless he qualifies for a work holiday visa or can get a transfer to Canada through work, a visitor's visa is your best bet - any other visas would probably have a longer processing time than the permanent residency application.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If he's British, he is visa-exempt. He doesn't need to apply to visit. The only question is whether they will allow an unrestricted visit without adding extra conditions at the POE.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ok so 1) get him here and marry him.
2) apply for spousal sponsorsip.

obviously he will need to work and therefore needs a SIN. can he apply for this when i apply for the spousal support..

it's trying to get things into some form of order for processing.

Kay1

Apr 19, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
have been told that if we marry in BC he will have to leave and apply for PR outside of Canada.

mr.peace

Apr 15, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Phils.
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 24, 2013
AOR Received.
April 17, 2013
File Transfer...
April 23, 2013
Med's Done....
March 20, 2013
Passport Req..
Sep 27, 2013 F.Beronia Recv'd PP: Oct 15, 2013 V.O. returned PP: Nov 1, 2013 Resent PP....: Dec 27, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2014 received but dated March 20.
LANDED..........
April xx, 2014
Kay1 said:
i am confused. i have been looking through the Guide 3900 - sponsorship of spouse and it says... i quote

If you are married

You can sponsor the person as your spouse if your marriage is a legally valid civil marriage. If your spouse is of the:

opposite sex and your marriage took place outside Canada, the marriage must be valid both under the laws of the jurisdiction where it took place and under Canadian law;

we want to marry in Canada... forgive me for being stupid but does this mean we have to marry outside of Canada?
It means if you are married outside Canada, the marriage should be valid in that country and in Canada.