+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship questions

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
My wife and I are currently filling out our application and have a number of things we are not sure about. If anyone could give us any pointers on any of the following I would very much appreciate that. Thanks I’m advance!

Schedule A

Application number - what do I put here? It only asks for application number and we don’t know if we’re supposed to have one already or if it’s to be left blank.

Field of study - I have to state what my field of study was during 5 years of secondary school. What do they expect here because there were numerous subjects.

Certificate and diploma issued - is this asking for a date or for what certificate and diploma was issued? Again there are many answers as there were many subjects at school.

Generic application form for Canada

National identity document - what is it? The first question asks if we have one. We don’t have one but wondered if we need one so we can get it and send it in.

Category and program - we are applying for the spousal sponsorship and are unsure of the correct names for category under which we are applying and program under which we are applying.

Application to sponsor

Co-signer - what determines whether or not we need a co-signer, or does everybody need a co-signer?

Work permit

I will be sending in an open work permit application with my sponsorship visa. I am currently in Canada on a 2 year cic working visa. Can I apply for an extension on my current working visa or do I have to start a new application and send it with my sponsorship visa?

I understand some of my questions may be ridiculous or stupid but thanks for taking the time to read and help!

Imjennah

Star Member
Feb 17, 2019
okay here we go!

application number - you dont have one yet, leave it blank

field of study - i put N/A in this category for secondary school, not sure though, you can call IRCC to ask them what it should say

diploma- for secondary I just put high school diploma

national identity document - any document like your state drivers liscense or ID. any government issued document that has your picture on it and an identification #

program should be family, category should be spouse

co-signer- someone who also agrees to take responsibility for providing for the sponsored person(besides the main person who is sponsoring). For example, if you were sponsoring your parent and you were married, your spouse could sign as co-signer. Since you are sponsoring your spouse i dont believe you have a co-signer, in this situation

the work permit question i dont have an answer to but considering you already have a work permit it seems redundant to sent a work permit application in at all, it seems like you just need to keep reapplying for extensions if necessary

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
National identity document - what is it? The first question asks if we have one. We don’t have one but wondered if we need one so we can get it and send it in.
If you don't know what a national identity document is, your country doesn't issue one. Leave it blank.

Co-signer - what determines whether or not we need a co-signer, or does everybody need a co-signer?
Spousal apps can't have a co-signer.

I will be sending in an open work permit application with my sponsorship visa. I am currently in Canada on a 2 year cic working visa. Can I apply for an extension on my current working visa or do I have to start a new application and send it with my sponsorship visa?
IMM5710, sent with the PR app, as explained in the guide.