+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship questions (from Texas to Saskatchewan)

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
My fiancee and I want to start living together. She lives in Texas and I live in Saskatchewan. I've got a few questions about sponsorship stuff, though.

What is the medical exam? What kind of tests are they going to do? Is there a list of what this entails? I know we need a panel physician, as described here cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp , but they don't give many details about what exactly the medical exam is.

The medical exam is only valid for 12 months. What happens if we submit the application while it's valid, but the exam expires before they process it? Does it just need to clear step 1 on this page? cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

How far in advance should we schedule the medical exam? Roughly, how much might it cost if we get the exam done in Saskatchewan?

It's my understanding that we need to get her police certificate from here: fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks
The processing time says 35 days... Does anyone know if we can have the results sent directly to Canada? I mean, if we do the test in the US, she comes with me to Canada on a 6 month visit, then we start the sponsorship paperwork while she's in Canada, I'd like the results sent to us in Canada.

CIC says the processing time for police certificates is 16-18 weeks. cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp Are they talking about the FBI saying it takes 35 days or is this 16-18 weeks something else?

We want to stay together while the application is processing, but she'll technically just be with me on a 6 month visit until she becomes a permanent resident. Who exactly should I contact to let her visit be extended? We'll be married and have our application submitted by the time the first 6 months is over if that changes anything.

Should I start filling things out to make myself the sponsor or should I wait until she has a police certificate and medical exam?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
First off, before you apply for her you need to be officially married (with marriage certificate in hand) or common-law (having lived together 12 continuous months with no breaks, and have proof of this).

Medical exam is only valid for 12 months and must stay valid right up to PR approval. So it's best to get them done as close as possible to submitting the application. If they expire during processing, you need to re-do them OR CIC could simply extend their validity. This choice is entirely up to the visa office.

The exam is pretty simplistic, a quick doctors check kind of like a physical, answer some questions on health, can't remember if both urine/blood test done, and finally some chest x-rays. You'll have to call up the local CIC panel docs in your area to check prices, as they vary greatly from city to city. http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

Not sure about getting FBI checks, others will need to advise there.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nekustetnaz said:
My fiancee and I want to start living together. She lives in Texas and I live in Saskatchewan. I've got a few questions about sponsorship stuff, though.

What is the medical exam? What kind of tests are they going to do? Is there a list of what this entails? I know we need a panel physician, as described here cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp , but they don't give many details about what exactly the medical exam is.

The medical exam is only valid for 12 months. What happens if we submit the application while it's valid, but the exam expires before they process it? Does it just need to clear step 1 on this page? cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

How far in advance should we schedule the medical exam? Roughly, how much might it cost if we get the exam done in Saskatchewan?

It's my understanding that we need to get her police certificate from here: fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks
The processing time says 35 days... Does anyone know if we can have the results sent directly to Canada? I mean, if we do the test in the US, she comes with me to Canada on a 6 month visit, then we start the sponsorship paperwork while she's in Canada, I'd like the results sent to us in Canada.

CIC says the processing time for police certificates is 16-18 weeks. cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp Are they talking about the FBI saying it takes 35 days or is this 16-18 weeks something else?

We want to stay together while the application is processing, but she'll technically just be with me on a 6 month visit until she becomes a permanent resident. Who exactly should I contact to let her visit be extended? We'll be married and have our application submitted by the time the first 6 months is over if that changes anything.

Should I start filling things out to make myself the sponsor or should I wait until she has a police certificate and medical exam?
Yikes! That's a lot of questions right out of the gate! ;)

1. The medical exam is pretty simple (blood work, chest x-ray, etc.). The spousal sponsorship class has a much lower threshold for inadmissibility issues. Something like active TB could be a problem though.

2. That depends on when, and how, you plan to file your application(s). Do you plan to apply Inland or Outland? Even with an Outland application, she could be with you in Canada for the entire process, provided that she is able to maintain her visitor status. She is not permitted to `live' with you, but she can `visit' ;) you and just apply to extend that `visit' as needed.

3. She will need to have her fingerprints taken (which can be done in Canada) and then the fingerprint card is mailed to the FBI in West Virginia. They will run the check and mail the letter to her in Canada, or wherever she wants it to be mailed. You need to include that original letter with your application (if applying Outland), or when requested by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) for an Inland application. The letter is ONLY VALID for 3 months, so it's imperative that CIC receives it ASAP, otherwise it would be deemed expired and she'd have to repeat the process.

The current FBI processing times seem to be 6-8 weeks, but they fluctuate.

You should most definitely start gathering your documents (of which there will be many) along with items that will prove your genuine relationship...while you decide which route (Inland vs. Outland) to take.

Good Luck!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Blood tests include syphillis and HIV at minumum. Depending on medical history, the physician could request more tests. e.g. if you have piercings in places other than your ears or tattoos, the doctor could also request Hepatitis tests.

The physical exam includes: eye exam, blood pressure, HEENT(head, eye, ears, nose, throat), reflexes(on knees), etc. Could be more if you have certain conditions.

Chest x-ray - straight forward. However, some panel physicians can refuse to do x-rays on pregnant women even if they consent to it. This would be something to keep in mind if you guys are trying or something to ask when looking for a panel physician.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
Rob_TO said:
First off, before you apply for her you need to be officially married (with marriage certificate in hand) or common-law (having lived together 12 continuous months with no breaks, and have proof of this).
So we'll get married and then I'll need to apply to become her sponsor and send in all her paperwork at the same time, right? I was just hoping I could get things more prepared, but I suppose all I can do for now is print off all the forms we'll need.

Ponga said:
2. That depends on when, and how, you plan to file your application(s). Do you plan to apply Inland or Outland? Even with an Outland application, she could be with you in Canada for the entire process, provided that she is able to maintain her visitor status. She is not permitted to `live' with you, but she can `visit' ;) you and just apply to extend that `visit' as needed.
I was thinking the "outland" application since I've read people say that one's the better and faster choice. What organization should we contact to extend the 'visit'?

Ponga said:
3. She will need to have her fingerprints taken ... The letter is ONLY VALID for 3 months, so it's imperative that CIC receives it ASAP, otherwise it would be deemed expired and she'd have to repeat the process.
Yikes, it expires? I thought it would stay on file and they could just look it up when they need to.

Ponga said:
You should most definitely start gathering your documents (of which there will be many) along with items that will prove your genuine relationship...while you decide which route (Inland vs. Outland) to take.
Any idea how strict they are about that? I have drawings of her, paintings of her, old flight tickets, we wrote letters to each other, we have some photos together, I have emails, and I have chatlogs. Do you think that would be enough for them? A lot of these things are dated back to 2011 (we've known each other since 2005, but I suppose I have no proof of that).

SenoritaBella said:
Blood tests include syphillis and HIV at minumum. Depending on medical history, the physician could request more tests. e.g. if you have piercings in places other than your ears or tattoos, the doctor could also request Hepatitis tests.

The physical exam includes: eye exam, blood pressure, HEENT(head, eye, ears, nose, throat), reflexes(on knees), etc. Could be more if you have certain conditions.

Chest x-ray - straight forward. However, some panel physicians can refuse to do x-rays on pregnant women even if they consent to it. This would be something to keep in mind if you guys are trying or something to ask when looking for a panel physician.
I think she's overall healthy. She has no piercings, no tattoos, has never had other partners, and she's not pregnant. I'm mainly just wondering about it hoping that they won't do anything invasive and unpleasant.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
nekustetnaz said:
So we'll get married and then I'll need to apply to become her sponsor and send in all her paperwork at the same time, right? I was just hoping I could get things more prepared, but I suppose all I can do for now is print off all the forms we'll need.

I was thinking the "outland" application since I've read people say that one's the better and faster choice. What organization should we contact to extend the 'visit'?

Yikes, it expires? I thought it would stay on file and they could just look it up when they need to.

Any idea how strict they are about that? I have drawings of her, paintings of her, old flight tickets, we wrote letters to each other, we have some photos together, I have emails, and I have chatlogs. Do you think that would be enough for them? A lot of these things are dated back to 2011 (we've known each other since 2005, but I suppose I have no proof of that).

I think she's overall healthy. She has no piercings, no tattoos, has never had other partners, and she's not pregnant. I'm mainly just wondering about it hoping that they won't do anything invasive and unpleasant.
Wait until you are actually ready to apply before you fill out forms, as CIC does change the forms without notice; if you send in an the old version, they may send your app back or delay it while they request the new form. The entire application, your part and hers, is sent together.

Outland is better. Visitor Extension: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

CIC must receive a police certificate within 3 months of it being issued.

They are very strict about requiring evidence; proving a genuine relationship is the whole basis for granting PR. Obviously, you'll need evidence of the wedding: the marriage certificate, the photos, a honeymoon if you take one. I know that others have included copies of things like the guest book/an invitation/congrats letters. I'm assuming you guys are in a long-distance relationship, so you should show lots of proof of ongoing communication throughout the entire relationship, so your emails, letters, chatlogs, Facebook msgs, cell phone records, Skype logs etc. Photos of you guys together, at home, on trips, with family and friends. Proof of visits and any trips you took together, like flight tickets, matching passport stamps, travel itineraries. Ask your friends and family to write letters about your relationship, saying how they know you and your partner and that your relationship is genuine. Communication between one partner and the other partner's family is good, such as Facebook chats between you and her siblings or phone records showing she talks regularly to your mother.

The medical isn't invasive. A history, general check-up, blood and urine tests, chest X-ray.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nekustetnaz said:
When you get married, you should have lots of pictures of the wedding ceremony, reception, and all the friends/family that attended. Also of course the wedding certificate.
You should also show shared finances. i.e. after you get married you'll change your status with CRA to married, and you can get a supplementary credit card in her name, any other joint accounts, life insurance on each other, etc etc.

ovasquez1

Star Member
Dec 15, 2011
Visa Office......
CPP-O
App. Filed.......
March 28, 2014
AOR Received.
May 14, 2014
File Transfer...
May 15, 2014
Med's Done....
March 10, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM July 19, 2014 : COPR July 22, 2014
LANDED..........
August 19, 2014
SenoritaBella said:

I was curious about the medical exam. Does it take all day? do you have to return in a few days? is it best to do it right before or later in the process?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
No, it does not take all day. Once it's your turn to see the doctor, it doesn't take long. You don't have to return but if any of your tests come back abnormal, the doctor will let you know and go from there. If you are applying for sponsorship, you need to do the medicals upfront and submit the receipt with the application. Better to do it as close as possible to when you will mail your application.

ovasquez1 said:
I was curious about the medical exam. Does it take all day? do you have to return in a few days? is it best to do it right before or later in the process?

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
canuck_in_uk said:
They are very strict about requiring evidence; proving a genuine relationship is the whole basis for granting PR.
Well, that sucks. It's bad enough we need a passport just to cross the border now; I didn't think they'd be so strict as to interrogate and question the validity of a relationship and marriage.

Rob_TO said:
When you get married, you should have lots of pictures of the wedding ceremony, reception, and all the friends/family that attended. Also of course the wedding certificate.
You should also show shared finances. i.e. after you get married you'll change your status with CRA to married, and you can get a supplementary credit card in her name, any other joint accounts, life insurance on each other, etc etc.
We're not on amazing terms with our families and we also don't have many friends. We were planning to have a very small wedding with basically no ceremony since we barely have anyone to invite and don't want to waste a ton of money on it. I have a credit card ready for her already, but doesn't she need to be a Canadian citizen before she's allowed to have (joint) accounts in her name? I'm hoping my oher evidence would do the trick.

Has anyone heard stories of spousal sponsorship being denied due to lack of relationship evidence?

I was also wondering about the part where people act as if you should lie about your intentions to stay together. Quite a few times, I've read that you should convince the border that your spouse will be returning to their original country, they should have a home to return to, they should still be employed in their original country, etc. Is it necessary to contradict ourselves by pretending we aren't planning to stay together? Are they going to deny us if we admit that we want to live together forever from now on?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nekustetnaz said:
Has anyone heard stories of spousal sponsorship being denied due to lack of relationship evidence?

Yes, more often than you'd care to hear about! You have no choice but to convince CIC, via any means that you can, that your relationship/marriage is genuine. I can't emphasize this enough.

I was also wondering about the part where people act as if you should lie about your intentions to stay together. Quite a few times, I've read that you should convince the border that your spouse will be returning to their original country, they should have a home to return to, they should still be employed in their original country, etc. Is it necessary to contradict ourselves by pretending we aren't planning to stay together? Are they going to deny us if we admit that we want to live together forever from now on?
Yes, because your partner cannot legally live in Canada until she is a permanent resident. I agree...the `game' at the border is rather silly, but it's what people do if they want to be together.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
Well, we'd do it all legally, like applying for visit extensions or having her go back to the US briefly if necessary. Would they still give us a hard time even if we explain all that?

If we send in evidence like original letters, would they give them back afterwards?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
nekustetnaz said:
Well, we'd do it all legally, like applying for visit extensions or having her go back to the US briefly if necessary. Would they still give us a hard time even if we explain all that?

If we send in evidence like original letters, would they give them back afterwards?
Yes, it's possible that they would still give you a hard time at the border. A lot of it depends on the border officer you get and how well you present yourself and explain your situation. If she is going to extend her stay, it's safer to apply online instead of going back to the US.

Dual intent, when a person is seeking to become both a temporary resident and a permanent resident, is a very grey area. Border officers aren't really supposed to allow a person to enter as a temporary resident if they think that person isn't going to leave if the permanent application is refused. When a person is visa-exempt and being sponsored by their spouse, border officers usually allow entry because the chances of the PR app being refused is quite low, and there is less risk of the person overstaying in the case of a refusal. Have a read, section 5.4 http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

For the letters, you should send colour copies. There is never a guarantee that you will get originals back.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nekustetnaz said:
We're not on amazing terms with our families and we also don't have many friends. We were planning to have a very small wedding with basically no ceremony since we barely have anyone to invite and don't want to waste a ton of money on it. I have a credit card ready for her already, but doesn't she need to be a Canadian citizen before she's allowed to have (joint) accounts in her name? I'm hoping my oher evidence would do the trick.

[/quote

Make sure you explain in detail the reason for having the small wedding, and why no family is present.

If you already have a supplementary credit card on your account in her name, then that is fine. Just use it once, and then on the bill it will show both your names together.

nekustetnaz

Mar 19, 2011
Thanks for the help so far, everyone.

I'm just starting to gather the sponsorship documents we'll need to fill out. I wanted to make sure of this, we don't need to submit the following forms, right?
Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409), if applicable
Use of a Representative (IMM 5476), if applicable
Since we will be married, not common law partners, and we will be applying without using a representative. If we submit an application and it doesn't include these forms, they'll just assume we didn't use a representative, right?

edit: And there are no minimum financial requirements if it's just me and her, right?
cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5482Eguide.asp