+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship question on working while application is processed

yeehaw

Mar 13, 2015
My wife and I are going through the spousal sponsorship program. I am Canadian and she is American. We have been waiting about ten months so far, and have heard that it could take up to two more years before she gets permanent residence. She is not allowed to work or go to school until she receives PR. Financially, it will be unlikely we can wait two years, so my question is....Can she go back to the states, where she could work two weeks, then off a week, until we can become more financially stable? Is there someone with Immigration that I can call to ask this question?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you submit an Inland application?

If so...did you include an Open Work Permit application along with it?

or...at the very least, has she maintained her legal visitor status in Canada all this time?

An Inland applicant, with legal status, is eligible for an OWP much quicker now, thanks to the pilot program that was launched in late December, 2014.
All she needs to do is submit the OWP and she should have it within 4 months.

Also, since it is a requirement that an Inland applicant be IN Canada for the duration of the processing, it's NOT recommended that she leave because if she is denied re-entry, her application could be in jeopardy.

If you submitted an Outland application...ignore everything I've said.