+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship open work permit dilemma - please help

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Hi, me (sponsor, Canadian citizen) and my common-law partner (principal applicant) are applying for an open work permit within our spousal sponsorship application (inland).

I hope my explanation is clear as I believe that my dilemma is complicated.

So we are filling the IMM 5710 (Application for work permit inside Canada - extend, change conditions or initial work permit - includes open work permits) and it is asking to select between 4 choices on question #3; I am applying for one or more of the following

1. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
2. Restore my status as a worker
3. Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
4. Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only)

Now, here is the dilemma. my girlfriend (the principal applicant) is currently on a working holiday visa, which contains an open work permit. Her working holiday visa is going to expire in February and she intends on leaving her job soon. From these 4 choices, #3 sounds like the most reasonable to us for her to obtain a new open work permit. But then again it seems that it requires her to be the first time applying for a work permit to choose that.

please let us know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, me (sponsor, Canadian citizen) and my common-law partner (principal applicant) are applying for an open work permit within our spousal sponsorship application (inland).

I hope my explanation is clear as I believe that my dilemma is complicated.

So we are filling the IMM 5710 (Application for work permit inside Canada - extend, change conditions or initial work permit - includes open work permits) and it is asking to select between 4 choices on question #3; I am applying for one or more of the following

1. Apply for a work permit with the same employer
2. Restore my status as a worker
3. Apply for a work permit for the first time or with a new employer
4. Get a new temporary resident permit (for inadmissible applicants only)

Now, here is the dilemma. my girlfriend (the principal applicant) is currently on a working holiday visa, which contains an open work permit. Her working holiday visa is going to expire in February and she intends on leaving her job soon. From these 4 choices, #3 sounds like the most reasonable to us for her to obtain a new open work permit. But then again it seems that it requires her to be the first time applying for a work permit to choose that.

please let us know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!
Not complicated at all. Just pick 3.

Freddycyr

Dec 4, 2018
Not complicated at all. Just pick 3.
Hi canuck, thank you for your answer. The reason why it brought confusion for me is that it is not our first time applying for a work permit (since a working holiday visa contains an open work permit) and we are not applying with a new employer since it is an open work permit...Maybe I am overthinking this.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Hi canuck, thank you for your answer. The reason why it brought confusion for me is that it is not our first time applying for a work permit (since a working holiday visa contains an open work permit) and we are not applying with a new employer since it is an open work permit...Maybe I am overthinking this.
Working holiday visa isn't the same as the open work permit, and additionally, working holiday visas cannot be extended like this. Applicant is going from the working holiday visa to an open work permit status wise, and is applying for the latter for the first time. Pick 3. No need to overthink.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You are overthinking it. This is a generic form that does not specifically address every single possible situation.

Working holiday visa isn't the same as the open work permit, and additionally, working holiday visas cannot be extended like this. Applicant is going from the working holiday visa to an open work permit status wise, and is applying for the latter for the first time. Pick 3. No need to overthink.
A working holiday is an open work permit.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
You are overthinking it. This is a generic form that does not specifically address every single possible situation.
A working holiday is an open work permit.
I know it's open and that there's no restrictions regarding employers or anything like that - I meant that it's not a case of extending the existing working holiday visa, as said in the next sentence. That they're not the same in that sense.