+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship from in Canada

Mel H

May 5, 2010
Hey,

I sent in my spousal application from in Canada, so that I can remain here with my Canadian girlfriend, and it was received at Vegreville on November 23rd, 2009 so is currently sitting in a pile waiting to be looked at. I would love to swap info with other people going through the same process.

I'm doing it without lawyers, so it is a little scary, but I went over the details with a fine tooth comb!

If you are watching the processing times as closely as I am, you'll have noticed that they've been stuck on October 3rd, 2009 for nearly 3 weeks now! I called through today and he said that it wasn't an issue with updating the site, and that they were focusing their resources elsewhere, and there is no way of knowing when they will get back to Spousal sponsorship applications.

Killer - just thought I'd save someone the holding time!

Let me know how yours are going!

srcc

Star Member
Sep 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm watching the processing times... and they only added 3 days in 3 weeks...!!!

When you called, they didn't say what they are working on?

sogwap

Feb 18, 2010
Indiana
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mel H said:
Hey,

I sent in my spousal application from in Canada, so that I can remain here with my Canadian girlfriend, and it was received at Vegreville on November 23rd, 2009 ...
How/why can you apply spousal application for your girlfriend?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
sogwap said:
How/why can you apply spousal application for your girlfriend?
A girlfriend that you've lived with for >= 1 year is the same as a common-law spouse.

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
A girlfriend who you've lived with for one year is just that...a girlfriend who you've lived with for one year. A person with who you have cohabited with in a conjungal relationship for a period of one year is a common-law spouse.

The OP said the reason he applied for PR is so that he can remain in Canada with his girlfriend, so sogwap's question is valid. I recommend the OP start getting used to referring to his "common-law spouse" not his girlfriend. If you are called for an interview using the word "girlfriend" would not be helpful.

Mel H

May 5, 2010
Sorry guys. I should have been more clear. She is my common law spouse as we have lived together in a conjugal relationship for over a year now. And she is sponsoring me (also a girl) to get permanent residence.

It looks like the processing times are finally moving along now - sitting at October 19th. On the phone, he said that he couldn't mention what the focus of their resources was at the time. At least we're back on track.

I applied for the work permit in the same envelope as the permanent resident application as it suggested. Does anyone know if you get the work permit instantly on approval of the first stage or if there is going to be a few weeks waiting for that to come through?

And does anyone know if I would be free to leave Canada for a holiday after first stage approval or do I have to wait until all stages are complete?

Mel H

May 5, 2010
Please don't worry about answering this question...

"And does anyone know if I would be free to leave Canada for a holiday after first stage approval or do I have to wait until all stages are complete?"

I just read a thread about it and don't think that leaving for a holiday is worth the risk of rendering my application null and void.

I

iarblue

If you are sponsoring from inland you are requird to stay until you get your PR but that said i have seen here a few people have left and comeback the only thing you need to worry about is if you do leave when you get to customs to get back in you may not,unless you are still in status in canada,its up to you but if it were me i would not leave chancing the app is refused.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
You are required to be in country to collect your visa and attend your interview, however you CAN leave if you have a valid visa. So often people make the mistake that they can leave and return on implied status or on a visa extension. However, a visa extension is not the same thing as a valid visa. That's why it often spcifies, not valid for reentry. You only have a valid entry document if you apply for a new visa. This is an issue even with Acceptance in Principle and a work permit. The work permit is NOT a valid reentry document. You need a new Temporary resident visa which is pretty easy to get if you have a valid work permit.

The one exception to this reentry issue is travel to the USA and a country whose name I can't remember at the momement. Obviously, this reentry issue is not an issue for visa exempt countries

There is NEVER a guarentee that you will be allowed back into the country; this is the other great risk with travelling during inland application.

Mel H

May 5, 2010
That's great, thanks!

Does anyone have info on this...

Mel H said:
I applied for the work permit in the same envelope as the permanent resident application as it suggested. Does anyone know if you get the work permit instantly on approval of the first stage or if there is going to be a few weeks waiting for that to come through?

konstantinos

Feb 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2010
LANDED..........
12 MAY 2011
dear friends,
my application for sponshorship in canada was received on 3rd May 2010. when I called the immigration call centre, the agent told me he cannot tell me the status of my application because now they are processing the applications received untill the 19th of october 2009. now, srcc tell me please, how do you know that on march 15th 2010 they begun to process your case? Is there sth I don't understand about how the process works or about how do I check my status?
There has been said a lot of interesting things here, about the case sb may have to leave canada while in process. I understand not to be able to leave until the first stage, but I was hopping after that, you could. I m a greek citizen and to enter canada I use my passport, i dont have to issue a special visitor visa. Annabruce, do you think, that I could leave -if I had to- even before the first stage? and if yes, does that mean that when they stop me at the costumes, to lie and say "i'm coming for turism" for example?could that work?
And another question, for those who live in the province of quebec, does anybody know, what are exactly the steps and the times of the processing stages?

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
konstantinos said:
dear friends,
my application for sponshorship in canada was received on 3rd May 2010. when I called the immigration call centre, the agent told me he cannot tell me the status of my application because now they are processing the applications received untill the 19th of october 2009. now, srcc tell me please, how do you know that on march 15th 2010 they begun to process your case? Is there sth I don't understand about how the process works or about how do I check my status?
There has been said a lot of interesting things here, about the case sb may have to leave canada while in process. I understand not to be able to leave until the first stage, but I was hopping after that, you could. I m a greek citizen and to enter canada I use my passport, i dont have to issue a special visitor visa. Annabruce, do you think, that I could leave -if I had to- even before the first stage? and if yes, does that mean that when they stop me at the costumes, to lie and say "i'm coming for turism" for example?could that work?
And another question, for those who live in the province of quebec, does anybody know, what are exactly the steps and the times of the processing stages?
There are many threads on this forum concerning leaving Canada whilst awaiting an Inland approval.

Personally, I would not take the risk of losing my status inland and having the application refused because for whatever reason you could not return to Canada if you leave.

Others have done it and with no problem......the choice is yours.

My time line if it helps...applied inland under Family Sponsor class 29th September 2009.....landed 20th May 2010.....less than 8 months in total.

Not that long to wait out in a Country you have decided to call home.....really.

Mel H

May 5, 2010
konstantinos said:
I don't understand about how the process works or about how do I check my status?
Go onto the Citizen and Immigration Canada (cic.gc) home page (Sorry they don't let me post links) and on the right under "you need to" the first option is "check application status", this allows you to check the status of your individual application. They do take a few months to pick it out the pile - mine was...

Received November 23, 2009. In Process Feb 10, 2010. And I am hoping to hear about approval of the first stage in the next month.

angelbrat said:
My time line if it helps...applied inland under Family Sponsor class 29th September 2009.....landed 20th May 2010.....less than 8 months in total.
That makes me very hopeful, I was expecting up to 2 years - thanks for posting that!

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
konstantinos said:
dear friends,
they start applications (open them) 2.5 months +/- after receiving so doing the math..ur app should be opened around end of july..