+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spousal sponsorship... financial requirements for husband

northern ice

Jan 21, 2015
I am preparing to submit our application for spousal sponsorship. My wife is Dominican and we have been married for 4 years. I reside in Canada and she lives in the D.R. I am a Canadian pensioner with substantial savings but my only income is OAS and CPP. I will be sponsoring her. Am I correct in assuming that the financial obligations are waived because we are married and my sponsorship will be approved. Is all that is necessary is that I can show that I can support her for 3 yrs or will I automatically be turned down because of low income? I have all the necessary documents and proper proof of relationship etc.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
northern ice said:
I am preparing to submit our application for spousal sponsorship. My wife is Dominican and we have been married for 4 years. I reside in Canada and she lives in the D.R. I am a Canadian pensioner with substantial savings but my only income is OAS and CPP. I will be sponsoring her. Am I correct in assuming that the financial obligations are waived because we are married and my sponsorship will be approved. Is all that is necessary is that I can show that I can support her for 3 yrs or will I automatically be turned down because of low income? I have all the necessary documents and proper proof of relationship etc.
You are correct; there is no minimum financial requirement. You simply need to show how you will support her when she becomes a permanent resident, and must not currently be receiving social assistance (welfare). If she plans to eventually work (even part-time), that information can be included in a note explaining this to CIC.

Good luck!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
northern ice said:
Am I correct in assuming that the financial obligations are waived because we are married and my sponsorship will be approved. Is all that is necessary is that I can show that I can support her for 3 yrs or will I automatically be turned down because of low income? I have all the necessary documents and proper proof of relationship etc.
Though there is no minimum income requirement, you must show that you can support yourselves without welfare. If CIC thinks that you will not be able to live without claiming welfare, they can and will refuse the app based on financial grounds.

Show proof of your savings, her savings, any investments, your OAS/CPP, any income she has. If you own your house, show that. If your wife is intending to work in her field in Canada, explain that as well.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
How do I know if there's any income requirement for my case?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
cillyx5 said:
How do I know if there's any income requirement for my case?
As already stated, there is no minimum income requirement. You must show you can support yourselves without welfare.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
My apologies. When I read the document checklist, it sounded like there may or may not be an income requirement.

I am living in the US, and will move home to Canada soon… If I show that I have a job waiting for me in Canada, have $$ in my bank account in Canada, and own properties in Canada, that'll be good??

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
cillyx5 said:
My apologies. When I read the document checklist, it sounded like there may or may not be an income requirement.

I am living in the US, and will move home to Canada soon... If I show that I have a job waiting for me in Canada, have $$ in my bank account in Canada, and own properties in Canada, that'll be good??
yes, those are all great proofs to provide. all cic cares about is how you plan to support you and your spouse when you move back. that can be from a job, savings, help from family. the sponsor doesn't actually have to have a job, they just have to be able to support themselves without going on welfare.