+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship & EE parallel question?

Curious_Man

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
Hi everyone,

I have an FSW-O in progress with an AOR of December 2020. My girlfriend and I got married back in March in Ontario, then I had to leave Canada for urgent family affairs back in Europe. However on my return the border agent said due to my lot of in and outs of Canada over the last few years (for business and personal visits) it's likely I'll get pulled over at the border every time I come into Canada. He also saw that I have my Federal Skilled Workers in progress and he suggested we apply for a spousal sponsorship AND open work permit at the same time parallel to my FSW application as the open work permit can be granted before the spousal sponsorship itself.

My questions are the following:
  • Is this true? Can I have all those applications running in parallel?
  • My wife is from Quebec and we are planning on settling in Ontario, but could her being from Quebec affect my FSW application?
  • Would we need to spousal sponsorship through Quebec or is there some sort of federal way of doing it?

Many thanks in advance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is this true? Can I have all those applications running in parallel?
  • My wife is from Quebec and we are planning on settling in Ontario, but could her being from Quebec affect my FSW application?
  • Would we need to spousal sponsorship through Quebec or is there some sort of federal way of doing it?

Yes, you can have both in parallel. I believe as long as your sponsor is residing in quebec you must go through the quebec procedures.