+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Breakdown

Aaronspec

Nov 26, 2014
Ok, I got a major thing going on in my life. I'm going through a divorce/custody battle with my wife. She sponsored me into Canada through the Spousal Sponsorship. Once I got my Perment Resident paperwork, she wants a divorce and does not want to grant me any legal custody to my child, as well as; wants me to pay spousal support. She won't give me a place to live in Canada and does not want to take on her responsibilities as my sponsor. I don't have a job and left with little money that I do have. I'm at a lost and wondering about my rights and what I should be doing.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Aaronspec said:
Ok, I got a major thing going on in my life. I'm going through a divorce/custody battle with my wife. She sponsored me into Canada through the Spousal Sponsorship. Once I got my Perment Resident paperwork, she wants a divorce and does not want to grant me any legal custody to my child, as well as; wants me to pay spousal support. She won't give me a place to live in Canada and does not want to take on her responsibilities as my sponsor. I don't have a job and left with little money that I do have. I'm at a lost and wondering about my rights and what I should be doing.
Do you have conditional PR (condition 51 printed on your COPR document)?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aaronspec said:
I'm sorry to hear about this difficult chapter in your life.

Do you have a conditional PR, meaning that there is `Condition 51' actually listed on your CoPR document? If so, then you would have little choice but to leave Canada. If you do NOT...and you want to fight to keep your life in Canada, you should do so! She is financially responsible for you for 3 years from the day that you became a PR...whether she now likes it, or not.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She would only be awarded spousal support if you made a lot more money than she did. Now child support - yes, you would have to pay that, but it is based on your income.
She is financially responsible for you for three years after you landed. If you have condition 51, as mentioned, though, and it has been less than two years since you landed, you would lose your PR.