+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship Application - Oversea vs Inland

LOFU

Dec 20, 2010
Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum, and I have a few questions regarding my spousal sponsorship application. I Hope you guys could kindly answer me a few questions. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I was born in Macau and lived in Toronto for 22 years, so I am a Canadian citizen and just got married in August in Toronto. My wife was also born in Macau, so she has a Portuguese passport, but she also has a New Zealand passport because her family immigrated to New Zealand long time ago and she lived there for 8 years. She is currently working as an architect in Macau right now. After our civic ceremony, my wife had to return to Macau to wrap up her job there before she could come back to Toronto in 2011. Our plan is to have our Catholic wedding ceremony and traditional Chinese wedding banquet in Macau in March 2011, and after the wedding she will be moving to Toronto to live with me. I have consulted a few lawyers regarding the spousal sponsorship application. They all recommended me to do the oversea application, and they all said we can still do the oversea application even though when she is in Toronto. Is that true? But she will be in Toronto in March, isn't it more like an inland application?

If we apply as oversea, what address should we use, our Toronto address since she will be here in March?

What kind of documents would she need to bring to Toronto for the spousal sponsorship application?

Obviously, she will enter the country as a visitor. Once our sponsorship application is in progress. Would she be able to extend her visitor visa when it is expired?

Should I start my application now, or wait until she is here in March? If I start it now, does she have to wait until everything is approved before she can come to Toronto. Would she be denied entry to the country when she comes here in March because the spousal application is still in progress and hasn't been approved.

I am not quite sure how I should approach my spousal sponsorship application, based on my case, what do you guys think I should do? Inland or oversea? Should I start now or wait until March when she is here.

Any help appreciated!! Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read the first post in the Family Class Sponsorship thread titled at the top (sticky) "Spousal sponsorship" that's a great place to start.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
LOFU

-Outland is faster and provides the right to appeal so many prefer it even if they are in Canada. Downside is she might have to travel to whatever visa office handles Macau or New Zealand for an interview if requested.
-She can give a Canadian mailing address and just say that as she's moving around that is the most reliable address to reach her at.
-If you are legally married you do not need to wait for the wedding banquet
- She can apply for a visa extention BUT there is no guarantee she will receive it. She can leave the country and come back BUT there is no guarantee she will be allowed in. She may be asked to prove that she will leave when her visitor visa expires (work, lease, etc overseas). She CANNOT bring all her stuff over with her before her PR is approved.
- documents needed - all proof of your relationship (photos, emails, etc), probably best if she completes all her forms in advance (need old addresses, employment info, etc that might be hard to trace once she moves)

looks like you still have some research to do. spend some time reading through the sponsor and applicant guides on the CIC website. There is a document checklist that will tell you what documents you will need.

good luck

kiwikris

Oct 23, 2010
Ottawa, On
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville and Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
25-10-10
Med's Done....
18-09-2009
LANDED..........
08 Sep 2011
New Zealand applications are processed though Sydney Australia and for a lot of people it is only taking 4 months! So definitely the way to go but then if you need an interview you will be going to Australia! :) Good time for a holiday maybe?