+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship and work permit

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
Do I have to have a current job or job offer to apply for a work permit? (Currently on EI due to winter layoff). The work permit will be sent with my inland spousal sponsorship application. Asking because I am technically unemployed and don’t have a job offer.

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
I guess you are the PA, as the sponsor need to have a job. And no you dont need one thats why its an open work permit and you can work anywhere you want.

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
How can I answer the name of my employer when I do not have one?

“My occupation in Canada will be” < should I answer with what I’d like to be doing as I don’t have a job offer?

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
Under EMPLOYMENT I have to give details from the last 10 years. The first box says *current activity/occupation but I am currently laid off work and don’t have an official return date so should I say that I am unemployed

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I guess you are the PA, as the sponsor need to have a job. And no you dont need one thats why its an open work permit and you can work anywhere you want.
A sponsor is not required to have a job; they must simply undertake to pay for the expenses of their spouse and be able to demonstrate an ability to do so.

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
I am the applicant. My Canadian wife is employed. I am unemployed but the questions are asking about me the applicant. Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

“My occupation in Canada will be” < should I answer with what I’d like to be doing as I don’t have a job offer?
Not applicable for an OWP.

Under EMPLOYMENT I have to give details from the last 10 years. The first box says *current activity/occupation but I am currently laid off work and don’t have an official return date so should I say that I am unemployed
Put unemployed.

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
A sponsor is not required to have a job; they must simply undertake to pay for the expenses of their spouse and be able to demonstrate an ability to do so.
True.But not realistic for most of us (unless you have very nice savings)

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018

I wrote "undecided" haha. It worked.

CB1995

Star Member
Jun 26, 2016
Is there a guide which will tell me what to fill out and what to leave for an open work permit? This way I can make sure I’ve completed everything I need and haven’t given information they won’t need.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018

Put N/A in all fields asking questions about future employment, employer, duration of employment, etc.