+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship and TRV almost concurrently

Mr_Mercenary

Apr 13, 2014
I am natural born Canadian of Chinese descent living in British Columbia. I met my wife 2 years ago and we got married in the Philippines in November of 2013. We are legally married with NSO documents.

I am just about to submit the complete spousal sponsorship under Family Class here in Canada. I have all the supporting documents. From my understanding, even if I submit the perfect case file, it takes 8 or more months before the Permanent Resident Visa is approved. I would like her to join me here in Canada for the next 6 months. One option is to apply for the Temporary Resident Visa and then if approved, apply for a inland application of spousal sponsorship once she is here so we don't have to wait a long time to be together. Can I apply for her to come here on a TRV immediately after I submit a spousal sponsorship to Mississauga CIC office? Can I apply for both at the same time? Does what I am posting make sense? And if so what is your advice?

Thank you.

JANAIDIAN MRS

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2013
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do & request for more years info on History: March 26, 2014 (they received March 31, 2013)
File Transfer...
May 22, 2013
Med's Done....
April 3, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
MAY 5, 2014
LANDED..........
MAY 28, 2014
From my understanding you have to apply as inland if she is here in Canada or Outland if she is not. You cannot switch during processing. I read it somewhere in my browsing yesterday. If I find it again i will post the exact words I read. Give me a few minutes.

Mr_Mercenary

Apr 13, 2014
Thank you, I have browsed but haven't been able to find a definitive answer... the result wanted is that we are together here in Canada.

JANAIDIAN MRS

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2013
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do & request for more years info on History: March 26, 2014 (they received March 31, 2013)
File Transfer...
May 22, 2013
Med's Done....
April 3, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
MAY 5, 2014
LANDED..........
MAY 28, 2014
Mr_Mercenary said:
Thank you, I have browsed but haven't been able to find a definitive answer... the result wanted is that we are together here in Canada.
I'm sorry I looked through the manuals I was reading last night and couldn't find it. If I come across i again though i will try and find this thread to let you know. Good Luck!

JANAIDIAN MRS

Star Member
Apr 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 26, 2013
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
May 22, 2013
Med's Done....
April 3, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 22, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
MAY 5, 2014
LANDED..........
MAY 28, 2014
Mr_Mercenary said:
FOUND IT. It was in another thread.

Outland or inland?

Now you need to decide if to apply outland or inland. If your spouse is not in Canada and can not get a visa to go to Canada, you must apply outland. That means that you will send your application to Mississauga and they will approve you as a sponsor. The time that takes is usually 1-2 months to but current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship After that, the application is forwarded to your local visa office. If your spouse is residing in a country other than the country of their nationality, you can pick which of the two visa offices you want. Otherwise it will be processed in their country of nationality. You can see the processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

If your spouse is staying in Canada as a visitor or on some other visa, you can pick whether you want to apply outland or inland. Outland is generally faster and has appeal rights but a downside to outland is that if an interview is required, your spouse will have to travel to the visa office in the country where it's being processed. Inland has the downside that it's generally not advised that your spouse travels while you are waiting for your processing because it is a requirement of inland that they reside in Canada and if they are denied entry at the border for some reason, your application is gone. If an interview is required for inland, you may also have to wait a long time for it. The inland application would be sent to Vegreville and if all goes well, you would get a first stage approval, usually in 6 to 8 months. The current processing times can be seen here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res Then the file is forwarded to your local CIC office where you live and they will contact you for a landing appointment. Getting the PR with inland usually takes 12-18 months. If an interview is required for inland, Vegreville will not give first stage approval but instead will forward the application to the local CIC office without it and you will have to wait for them to have time for your interview. In some cases that can take a year or two. If you do get the first stage approval, your spouse will usually be eligible for health care and an open work permit. It is actually a good idea when applying inland to send an application form for a visit visa extension as well as the open work permit to be given at first stage approval all in one package so it's tied together.

Which method to pick depends on your situation. If your spouses country of nationality has a long processing time or your spouse does not want to have to travel there for a possible interview, then inland is the way to go. For faster processing and freedom of travel during the processing time, outland would be better. You can find the application forms for inland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp and the application forms for outland at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Kysorb

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
APR 2, 2014
AOR Received.
MAY 22, 2014
File Transfer...
MAY 26, 2014 <br>AOR2 Received: SEP 9, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SEP 24, 2014 <br>Decision Made: OCT 13, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 18, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
I hope this doesn't happen to you but you should know about it anyway.

Many TRV applications from spouses are denied because the VO does not believe the applicant will return to their home country at the expiration of the visa.

In your case you are thinking about bringing her and then applying inland and while they will accept that application they will not let you come to Canada on a TRV in order to do it.. Inland is designed to be an avenue for people on work or study visas, not really tourist videos.

Either way, good luck, but its not going to be easy for you.

Mr_Mercenary

Apr 13, 2014
I am going ahead with submitting a complete spousal sponsorship application for my Filipina wife as originally planned (outland). Then she is going to submit a TRV application. I was planning to go to Philippines anyway this November 2014 anyway.

If they approve her TRV, she would come here and we would both return to the Philippines as she would have to tie up loose ends with her living quarters, possessions, assets, job, etc anyway. Then I would return back to Canada alone as we wait the final stretch for the final decision.

Any thoughts or words of advice?

Thank you very much