+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit

miucchi

Aug 11, 2021
Hi. I just want to ask about my application. My husband and I applied from Japan. He is a Japanese, I'm a non-Japanese. He applied for an employer specific work permit, while an open work permit for me. We applied on July 14. His application got approved on August 5. Mine is still processing. May I ask for an idea how long it will take for mine to have a decision? Here's what I see in the IRCC account.

Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
  • Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Review of medical results: July 23, 2021 You passed the medical exam.
  • Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
  • Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
  • Biometrics: July 20, 2021 Completed.
  • Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
  • Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi. I just want to ask about my application. My husband and I applied from Japan. He is a Japanese, I'm a non-Japanese. He applied for an employer specific work permit, while an open work permit for me. We applied on July 14. His application got approved on August 5. Mine is still processing. May I ask for an idea how long it will take for mine to have a decision? Here's what I see in the IRCC account.

Application status: We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you.
  • Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
  • Review of medical results: July 23, 2021 You passed the medical exam.
  • Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
  • Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
  • Biometrics: July 20, 2021 Completed.
  • Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
  • Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Unfortunately it's difficult to say since COVID has created delays in processing.

You may want to spend some time reading through the SOWP discussions in the Foreign Workers section of the forum to get an idea of how long others are waiting.

miucchi

Aug 11, 2021
Unfortunately it's difficult to say since COVID has created delays in processing.

You may want to spend some time reading through the SOWP discussions in the Foreign Workers section of the forum to get an idea of how long others are waiting.
Thank you for the reply. Is it normal that open work permit does not get approved at the same time as my husband's work permit? We are both worried that we cannot go to Canada together next month. His work starts on October 1.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply. Is it normal that open work permit does not get approved at the same time as my husband's work permit? We are both worried that we cannot go to Canada together next month. His work starts on October 1.
Yes, this is quite normal. I would also say that processing times are generally longer if you are applying while living in a country where you do not have permanent residency / citizenship.

What passport do you hold? Do you need an eTA or TRV to enter Canada? If the SOWP isn't approved in time, there's the option to enter Canada as a visitor after September 7th (and assuming you are fully vaccinated). This will be easier to do if you qualify for an eTA. You are probably too short on time for a TRV to be processed.

miucchi

Aug 11, 2021
Yes, this is quite normal. I would also say that processing times are generally longer if you are applying while living in a country where you do not have permanent residency / citizenship.

What passport do you hold? Do you need an eTA or TRV to enter Canada? If the SOWP isn't approved in time, there's the option to enter Canada as a visitor after September 7th (and assuming you are fully vaccinated). This will be easier to do if you qualify for an eTA. You are probably too short on time for a TRV to be processed.
I hold a Philippine passport so I need a TRV to enter Canada. :(
But I've been living in Japan for more than 3 years. My Japanese husband and I are both medical doctors. We are both going to work as medical fellows in Toronto. However, my fellowship will start at a later date (but will end at the same time as his), that's why we applied for SOWP for me so that I can go with him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I hold a Philippine passport so I need a TRV to enter Canada. :(
But I've been living in Japan for more than 3 years. My Japanese husband and I are both medical doctors. We are both going to work as medical fellows in Toronto. However, my fellowship will start at a later date (but will end at the same time as his), that's why we applied for SOWP for me so that I can go with him.
Applying for the SOWP (vs a TRV) was definitely the right decision. Hopefully you'll hear a decision soon. Good luck.