+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal death

JeanneN007

Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am the primary applicant in our EE profile and we are now at the AOR stage awaiting PPR. I was wondering what would happen if myself or my spouse dies before we are granted PR? And if we are granted PR and one of us dies, will the other still be able to make the move? Or will everything be revoked?

Reactions: Nigel Buck

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well given this is only speculation on my part but my guess would be if the PAs spouse dies before landing then the PA would be obliged to notify CIC of their change in status before they land. This would much the same as the single/married scenario having to notify CIC.

If the PA dies before landing then, again speculation on my part but the spouse could not complete a PR landing without the PA having landed either first or together with spouse so the whole application could become void.

The third scenario is even less clear, PA completes landing then dies before spouse lands, no ideas on that.

As said all speculation on my part so hopefully someone with more knowledge will comment.

Reactions: PaulLostAndConfused

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if PA dies before landing, then whole application will be cancelled (dependants cannot land).
If PA lands and dies after that, dependants should be able to land.
If Dependant will die before PA will land, it is the same scenario as with marriage before landing (but a bit reversed). PA would have to return his COPR and submit new documents (death certificate). He would get new COPR that would state his new status. and he could land.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
if PA dies before landing, then whole application will be cancelled (dependants cannot land).
If PA lands and dies after that, dependants should be able to land.
If Dependant will die before PA will land, it is the same scenario as with marriage before landing (but a bit reversed). PA would have to return his COPR and submit new documents (death certificate). He would get new COPR that would state his new status. and he could land.
In previous cases where the PA has died while the app was in process, IRCC has continued processing the app for the dependents.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In previous cases where the PA has died while the app was in process, IRCC has continued processing the app for the dependents.
I see. Thank you for your clarification.

Fodewunmi

Sep 21, 2022
Hi everyone, this is actually my current position. My wife (The primary applicant on our EE application) passed on a year ago andthe consultant we worked with claimed to updated the application with her death certificate. I haven’t heard from him since.

Any specific advice on what to do now? The application was completed in March 2021

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, this is actually my current position. My wife (The primary applicant on our EE application) passed on a year ago andthe consultant we worked with claimed to updated the application with her death certificate. I haven’t heard from him since.

Any specific advice on what to do now? The application was completed in March 2021
I'm very sorry for your loss.

You can't switch primary applicants. If the primary applicant has passed away, this effectively cancels the application. You will need to qualify and be selected on your own (basically restart the process from scratch).

I don't think you are dealing with a very good consultant if they told you that the primary applicant can be changed. I'm not aware of this being possible. I would assume your application has been canceled.