+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sposoring an iraqi refugee in sweden as a husband

helda

Apr 19, 2010
hi everyone, please i need some help and advise becasue i have a very complicated sponsorship case. My fiance was an iraqi refugee living in sweden but he does not have any paper or document there as a resident card ,he was twice refused and now he is still waiting for a response to see if he will be accepted or refused and then he has to returned to iraq or syria.we decided to get married in sweden ,so i went there this march ,we arranged everything in advance and we booked an appointment at a court there, but before the date ,we recieved a letter telling my fiance he can not get married becasuse of his statuse in the country. As a result we got married at a church only. 1)Now i do not now if i can apply to sposor him as a husband with a proof from a church only not a court.2) can we take the church paper and send it to syria to be registered at a court and then we can apply or it will not be accepted becasue we got married in sweden.3)if yes we can do that, where we should send our application. in mississauga or where? what does mean process in canada or outside canada? i read manytimes in the immigration website. 4) do we have to tell that we need my husband's application to be send to the embassy in syria or london becase he lives in sweden (the emabbssy responsible for sweden is in london) 5) if form syria , can he stays in sweden and the process start from syria, or he should go back there? and if yes he can what about the interview ,and where he will depart from if he will be approved fro a visa,from syria or sweden.?My last question is ,there is a part in the application says if my husband is lawfully admitted in the country where is he residing, so i do not now how to answer this question.i have told you what is his situation there, so please i need the answeres for all these questinos. i am looking forward to see some advice from you gus ,please read my case and help me please.thank you so much . helda

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1. Your marriage needs to be legally recognised, with a marriage certificate. The marriage must be legal, both under the laws of the country where it took place, and under Canadian law. If Sweden told you you could not be legally married until his refugee status was determined, then the religious marriage that took place will not be legally recognised by Sweden, and therefore won't be recognised for Canadian immigration purposes.

2. I don't know about the specifics, but if you can get a legal marriage certificate from Syria, then that should be recognised for Canadian Immigration, as long as it's all within Syria's laws.

3. You'd send the sponsorship and PR applications together to CPC-Mississauga using this application package:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

4. To be processed in London, he would need to first have his refugee status in Sweden finalised. You can have the application processed through the visa office responsible for the country where you are living, but only if you have permanent status there, or if you have legal temporary status for one-year or more (i.e. a 1-year or longer work or study permit.) I don't know anything about swedish immigration law, but if his status in Sweden as a refugee has been refused, I would very much doubt he can have his application processed through London. It will have to be processed through Damascus, the visa office responsible for Iraq.

5. He can have the PR application processed through Damascus regardless of where he is currently living. (Everyone can always have an application processed through the office responsible for their country of citizenship.) If he is required to attend an interview, it will be in Damascus. Once approved, he would mail the passport to Damascus, and receive it back by mail with the PR visa. He would leave for Canada from wherever he is currently living at that time.

Lawfully admitted means just that. He should clarify the legality of his current status with Swedish officials. If he does not have legal status in Sweden, the answer to that question is "no".

helda

Apr 19, 2010
Thank you so much for your information about my case , i really apprecieate that. I will try to find out if we can do the idea of register our marriage at a court in syria becasue i have no other choice , iam not able to go to syria in order to meet my husband there and get married agian under syria law. i hope that works with us, and we can start our sponsorship application ,we are tired of thinking and waiting with no result.anyway thanks again .helda

mr.lonely

Aug 3, 2009
Hi Helad, I can't believe that you got married in church without a court based marriage. I have couple of advices for you:
1. Get an immigration lawyer. My immigration lawyer is great (i had a complicated case but i got visa in tow months. I'm Iraqi too).
2. Your husband must leave sweden and go back to iraq or syria.
3. Your best option is to remarry in the court in Iraq or Syria and start your application.
4. Don't waste time save all the emails, phone bills, chatting records, photos....everything.
5. Again .....get a lawyer.

helda

Apr 19, 2010
Hi thank you for your advice , I really apprecieate all what you have advised me to do. But now i have a request and iam hoping that you can help me. Who is your immigration lawyer, could you give me his name or his phone number in order to contact him as soon as possible. I tried to look for a lawyer but to be honest i could not find any lawyer who is excellent in immigration cases. So if you can help me , it will be great . I live in ottawa , where is you lawyer living ? I do not know what to do , becasuse even if my husband wants to go back to syria or iraq it takes so long ,becasue everything is depended on the swedish government ,whenever it decides. , i hope that everything will be good for us after contacting this lawyer. Anyway , thank you so much for helping me , it was a good chance to know someone from my country. Please reply to me as soon as you could.

mr.lonely

Aug 3, 2009
Hi Helda, You right it is indeed hard to find a good immigration lawyer. My lawyer is in Burlington, I think it is lil bit far for you!!(I'm not sure about the distance between cities). Anyway i can get you his address it is in my papers by tomorrow hopefully.