+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship of my daughter

acesarp

Apr 10, 2009
HI,

I am a Canadian citizen, my husband a Permanent Resident and our son is also a Canadian citizen but my daughter has no Canadian status and she lives in Brazil. She is 26 years old college student (not full time right now) but she is financially dependent on us. From what I read on the net, there's no way we could sponsor her. Does it mean she'll be isolated from us forever? Is there any way to appeal or something?

Maria

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Wait for PMM/Leon replies as well, however, if you go through the application, you can be.

Dependent children
Your child or a child of the person you are sponsoring will be considered a dependent child if that child

B. is 22 years of age or older and, since before the age of 22, has
• been continuously enrolled and in attendance as a full-time student in a post secondary
institution accredited by the relevant government authority and
• depended substantially on the financial support of a parent

Visit CIC link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

Regards
Yasir Majid
Link2Canada.ca

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yasirmajid is right about the dependent child. If she has been a full time student since before age 22, she still qualifies as a dependent child and can be sponsored under the federal program.

If that is not the case, your only option to sponsor her would be to live in AB, SK or MB and sponsor her under a PNP family stream program. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp for links to the PNP programs.

Another way would be for her to immigrate by herself. Once she finishes college and has a one year work experience, try to get her a job offer (AEO) and let her immigrate via FSW or PNP.

acesarp

Apr 10, 2009
She getting a degree in History, but I didn't see this occupation on the NOC list or any similar. she is not considered a dependent child because she wasn't a full time student since 22. I might be wrong but from what I read she doesn't qualify for PNP family stream program due her lack of training.
I think I am running out of options.

Thanks for the replies though.

Maria

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you do live in AB, SK or MB, you can find a way to make her qualify. She needs one year work experience, she can get that. It needs to be in a skilled job, she can find a skilled job. Even a shift manager at McDonalds is considered a skilled job. I am just saying if you work at making her qualify, there is a way.