+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship from Dominican to Canada

amrelph

Dec 9, 2013
What a wealth of information this place is.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I'm currently residing with my boyfriend in the Dominican. He is Dominican, I was born in Canada. We have common-in-law papers for here, we've lived together for 2 years.

I would like to sponsor him and we both move back to Canada.

My plan is to submit the application package before I move back, return to Canada, start work, get an apartment, etc. I'm concerned about the income requirement. I've worked in Dominican for the past 3 years, and have always worked in Canada. I'm 27.

Do you think it's better to be back in Canada working, and then start the application.

Any advice or tips you can offer would be very much appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
amrelph said:
My plan is to submit the application package before I move back, return to Canada, start work, get an apartment, etc. I'm concerned about the income requirement. I've worked in Dominican for the past 3 years, and have always worked in Canada. I'm 27.

Do you think it's better to be back in Canada working, and then start the application.

There is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse, you don't even need to be working. What you need to be able to show to CIC is that you guys can support yourselves without going on welfare. This can be shown with your income, his income, earning potential, savings/investments, help from family etc.

I would advise you to submit the app as soon as you can from the Dominican.

amrelph

Dec 9, 2013
Thank you.

For address, do you think it's okay that I file from Dominican but use the address of my Mom in Canada for any correspondence. I figure I'll be in Canada by the time I have any correspondence from the CIC, and will be staying with her until I get my own apartment.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
amrelph said:
Thank you.

For address, do you think it's okay that I file from Dominican but use the address of my Mom in Canada for any correspondence. I figure I'll be in Canada by the time I have any correspondence from the CIC, and will be staying with her until I get my own apartment.
That should be fine. They usually communicate by email anyways.

MissUnique

Dec 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
KNG
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-11-2012
Interview........
N/A
LANDED..........
28-05-2014
amrelph said:
What a wealth of information this place is.

I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

I'm currently residing with my boyfriend in the Dominican. He is Dominican, I was born in Canada. We have common-in-law papers for here, we've lived together for 2 years.

I would like to sponsor him and we both move back to Canada.

Yes it is better to move back first. They want to see that you both intend to live in Canada. Move back, get a job and a place and apply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MissUnique said:
Yes it is better to move back first. They want to see that you both intend to live in Canada. Move back, get a job and a place and apply.
Bad advice. It is better to get the app in as soon as possible. Many people, myself included, sponsor our partners while living outside of Canada with no issues.

costacro

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
There is not wrong or right way of submitting your applicationfrom either place. You will have to provide more proof if app is sent from dominican on intent to establish in canada when his app is approved. If its done from here then you might not have to submitt all of that. Looks better if ur here in my opinion. Thats what i did with my husbands app. Good luck

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
costacro said:
There is not wrong or right way of submitting your applicationfrom either place. You will have to provide more proof if app is sent from dominican on intent to establish in canada when his app is approved. If its done from here then you might not have to submitt all of that. Looks better if ur here in my opinion. Thats what i did with my husbands app. Good luck
Filing an app while outside of Canada doesn't affect the processing, so your comment of "Looks better if ur here in my opinion" is off the mark. If it were true, then all those who submit their apps outside Canada and those who remain outside throughout the process would have much slower processing times. All I had was a few letters from friends and family (which I had to have anyways for a common-law app) stating I was returning and bank statements showing I had maintained my Canadian account. GCMS notes show one line out of 43 pages that says "File information satisfies me of sponsor's intent to return to Canada".

To the OP: it isn't hard to show you intend to return to Canada, especially if you've already booked your ticket by that time and can include a copy. There is a section in the forms that asks you to explain how you will re-establish yourself in Canada, so you can explain your plan there. As common-law, you will need to have 2 notarized letters from friends and family supporting your genuine relationship; have them also include their knowledge that you intend to return to Canada permanently. More letters from other friends and family are also good, for both relationship proof and intent to return to Canada proof; they don't need to be notarized. Don't stress about it because if they were to request more evidence that you intend to return, you would already be back in Canada by that point and able to easily provide such evidence.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can also submit the application while you are still living abroad. You will have to include proof you will be moving back to Canada. Then, when you do go back to Canada, once you get a job and a place to stay, submit this proof as extra evidence to be added to your file. This way the visa officer has proof you are already back in Canada, so will not have questions about your intent to return. It also means the initial proof you send with the applicatin will not have to be as detailed as you would need if you were staying abroad during the whole processing time.

TomorrowLand

Jun 24, 2015
Passport request letter:

My wife lives in the Dominican now. When she receives her Passport request letter...

Does she have to mail her passport in ?
If so what office ??
In Santa Domingo or Canada?
And what is the mailing address?

or

Can she go in person if the office is in Santa Domingo?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TomorrowLand said:
Passport request letter:

My wife lives in the Dominican now. When she receives her Passport request letter...
The request will contain all the necessary information.

TomorrowLand

Jun 24, 2015
i hope i get approved... i visited my wife over 14 times since 2010 i showed all the proof and

pictures
phone records
chat logs
pictures of us together
photocp[y of all the dominican stamps i got in the airport and flight itinerary
wedding photos
marriage certificate

never filed for bankruptcy
never been on government assistance
never had a problem with the police

i make over 60 grand a year

i have no kids
my wife has no kids

been together for 4.5 years married for 1 year

expectin

Dec 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mex
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2015
Doc's Request.
18-03-2016 RPRF
AOR Received.
AOR Dec Second
File Transfer...
Nov-18
Med's Request
Upfront - August 6
Med's Done....
August -6-2015
TomorrowLand said:
i hope i get approved... i visited my wife over 14 times since 2010 i showed all the proof and

pictures
phone records
chat logs
pictures of us together
photocp[y of all the dominican stamps i got in the airport and flight itinerary
wedding photos
marriage certificate

never filed for bankruptcy
never been on government assistance
never had a problem with the police

i make over 60 grand a year

i have no kids