+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring USA-born Child

Ex-Soviet

Feb 16, 2014
Dear Leon, Scylla and anyone who can shed light, please advise what sponsorship package I should use to sponsor my son born in USA. I am currently living in USA with yet 2,5 years on my Canadian PR card to meet my minimum 2 year obligation. So I plan to move to Canada in June with 2+ years in my PR card left and start sponsoring my child, who will be outside of Canada at that time, but will be in Canada by September/October this year with a USA passport. So I have few questions:

1. As I see PR can only sponsor family members from inside Canada, not outside, right? And in this case, they should remain in Canada for the whole duration of processing. Is this true? And if it is true, can my short one week trip to USA cause cancellation of my sponsorship application, or only serious breach of residence will cause cancellation of sponsorship application?

2. Considering my son will be outside of Canada in June, but will be in Canada by September/October, what makes more sense, to apply for sponsorship through "Family Member Living Outside of Canada" (I guess it is more cumbersome process), or wait for my son to come with USA passport and apply when he is inside through “Family Member Living with me Inside of Canada" application? Are both options available for me or only one is available considering my situation?

3. When I read instruction for sponsoring "Family member living with me Inside Canada" it says they do not require to have legal status in Canada in order to be sponsored. My understanding is that if my son enters with USA passport, he falls under this category, and I can still sponsor him? Is that correct?

4. When I review package and forms for Family Class Sponsorship Living in Canada, the forms and instructions on CIC site talk about spouse and partner, but not about Child. Does it mean child cannot be sponsored through Living Inside Canada process?

5. Last question, it says sponsored person (that is my son) need to provide medical screening results for himself and any family member accompanying or not. How it applies to me, my wife and my elder son, since we are PR of Canada with valid PR cards, but we lived outside Canada for last 2,5 years. So legally we are his family, but practically we are also PRs in Canada and his sponsors, and have undergone those screening prior to becoming PRs. So do we need to submit our results as well?

Thanks a lot for your time and responses in advance!

Sincerely,

Ex-Soviet

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ex-Soviet said:
Dear Leon, Scylla and anyone who can shed light, please advise what sponsorship package I should use to sponsor my son born in USA. I am currently living in USA with yet 2,5 years on my Canadian PR card to meet my minimum 2 year obligation. So I plan to move to Canada in June with 2+ years in my PR card left and start sponsoring my child, who will be outside of Canada at that time, but will be in Canada by September/October this year with a USA passport. So I have few questions:

1. As I see PR can only sponsor family members from inside Canada, not outside, right? And in this case, they should remain in Canada for the whole duration of processing. Is this true? And if it is true, can my short one week trip to USA cause cancellation of my sponsorship application, or only serious breach of residence will cause cancellation of sponsorship application?

2. Considering my son will be outside of Canada in June, but will be in Canada by September/October, what makes more sense, to apply for sponsorship through "Family Member Living Outside of Canada" (I guess it is more cumbersome process), or wait for my son to come with USA passport and apply when he is inside through “Family Member Living with me Inside of Canada" application? Are both options available for me or only one is available considering my situation?

3. When I read instruction for sponsoring "Family member living with me Inside Canada" it says they do not require to have legal status in Canada in order to be sponsored. My understanding is that if my son enters with USA passport, he falls under this category, and I can still sponsor him? Is that correct?

4. When I review package and forms for Family Class Sponsorship Living in Canada, the forms and instructions on CIC site talk about spouse and partner, but not about Child. Does it mean child cannot be sponsored through Living Inside Canada process?

5. Last question, it says sponsored person (that is my son) need to provide medical screening results for himself and any family member accompanying or not. How it applies to me, my wife and my elder son, since we are PR of Canada with valid PR cards, but we lived outside Canada for last 2,5 years. So legally we are his family, but practically we are also PRs in Canada and his sponsors, and have undergone those screening prior to becoming PRs. So do we need to submit our results as well?

Thanks a lot for your time and responses in advance!

Sincerely,

Ex-Soviet
1. Yes, a one week trip won't cancel the application.
2. There is no "in-Canada" sponsoring, other than for spouse's with dependent children. You will have to sponsor your son as out of Canada, although he can be residing in Canada during the application.
3. You keep reading the section about spouses, which is not applicable to your situation.
4. See #2
5. Only the son requires a medical exam by the designated Physician.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The child can enter Canada with just a US birth certificate. So keep that in mind also in case you have to enter Canada and the child does not have US passport yet. This only applies if you cross the border by land only. US passport is required if crossing by plane.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
... just another tidbit ...

If your wife and older son are also PR's be sure they don't breach their RO while you are awaiting getting your youngest son into Canada.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Alurra71 said:
... just another tidbit ...

If your wife and older son are also PR's be sure they don't breach their RO while you are awaiting getting your youngest son into Canada.
If there are also PR's, I would not worry about their residency obligation while waiting for their youngest son. Getting a US birth certificate doesn't take long, perhaps 8 weeks at most. If they need to be in Canada urgently, they can then enter Canada with just their son's US birth certificate. If they are living too far from Canada/US border, they can fly domestically close to the Canadian border and then drive into Canada with birth certificate. They will not be able to fly directly into Canada as passports are required to enter via international plane route.

Ex-Soviet

Feb 16, 2014
Hi and thanks a lot to all for responses! Highly appreciated. My son have got passport, so port of entry will not be problem either way. Now I am clear about application packs and will start prepare documents. If further question arise, will check with you guys, as always you all are very helpful and I am glad that I came across this site quite recently!

Ex-Soviet

Feb 16, 2014
Hi All,

Wanted to ask one more question, what co-signer means? Should my wife also sign the sponsorship application for our child or it is sufficient if I do alone?

Also, if I do alone, should I have her official permission to sponsor our child or this is not required? I just want to avoid excessive documentation, etc involving my wife into application process if this is not required.

Also, what kind of changes are expected to Canada Citizenship Law in 2015, I have heard some rumours, but no certain info?

Thanks a lot.

Ex-Soviet

Feb 16, 2014
One more request, considering my son is just five months old, which forms I as a spopnsor and he as applicant should complete? It is very complex to understand from the CIC site. Can I complete his forms as well, as his parent and sign on his behalf, or it needs to be other parent (my wife) who fills his documents? I mean is it OK if I fill and sign not only my sponsorship forms, but also his applicant forms?

Thanks.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
I'm five months pregnant with my son (his father is my Canadian husband), how do I get his Canadian citizenship? The forms I saw were kind of confusing. But as far as I am aware he is eligible. Also, due to my medical conditions and possible high risk, he will be born in the US where I have medical care. And what should I do as far as my application is concerned in regards to him? I was unsure, how to declare it but I will do so gladly to help the process.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

blueangel371115 said:
I'm five months pregnant with my son (his father is my Canadian husband), how do I get his Canadian citizenship? The forms I saw were kind of confusing. But as far as I am aware he is eligible. Also, due to my medical conditions and possible high risk, he will be born in the US where I have medical care. And what should I do as far as my application is concerned in regards to him? I was unsure, how to declare it but I will do so gladly to help the process.
When the child is born, you apply for Proof of citizenship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp It has no effect on your application, you just amend the IMM 5406 with a copy of the birth certificate.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
PMM said:
hi

When the child is born, you apply for Proof of citizenship. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp It has no effect on your application, you just amend the IMM 5406 with a copy of the birth certificate.
thanks that's what I thought but I wanted to check, rather be safe than sorry. Plus I don't really want to mess up my PR.