+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring UK Common Law Partner while in UK

Sep 4, 2008
Hi everyone

My partner and I are trying to move to Canada. Our situation is this:

We have been dating since 2004 when we met while he was in Canada. We had spoken previously through emails etc and got to meet in November 2004, when we decided that we would be a couple. We travelled back and forth to visit each other (he is from Northern Ireland) and in 2006, I was accepted to do my masters in Northern Ireland. I moved over and completed my masters in December 2007. In August 2007 we rented a house together with another roommate, and I moved in in September 2007 (I had gone home for the summer, and my partner and his parents came to visit). We lived in this house until the end of July 2008 (it was a rental) and then moved in with his parents, as we did not want to rent another home for just a few months if we were wanting to move to Canada.

We decided the best thing to do would be for me to sponsor him, as it would not take as long as a skilled worker visa would. We have read through all the information numerous times, and according to everything there, we qualify as a common-law couple. We have started filling in the forms, but are sort of confused about some of the questions. I was hoping someone here, who has done this before, might be able to clarify:

1) In some of the forms, both for the sponsor and the person being sponsored, there is a section asking about current marital status. We both chose common-law, and then there is a box asking for the date in which the relationship was entered into. Would we fill this in as the date we began our relationship, which would be back in 2004, or the date on which we actually qualified as common-law partners (which would be the 15 September 2008, on which we will have been living together for a year)?

2) On the Permanent Resident application form, there is a section to fill in details of additional family members, whether they are being sponsored or not. Would my partner fill myself in as his common-law partner, even though I am the sponsor?

3) I am currently in Northern Ireland on an International Graduate Visa. When filling out the forms, would I say that I am a Canadian Resident living exclusively outside of Canada? I have been living in Northern Ireland for two years, one as a student and one as a graduate, but have always intended to return to Canada.

We are crossing our fingers that we will be approved - we can't see why we wouldn't be, but you never know with this sort of thing. I have had two visas in the last few years, and have never had a problem obtaining one, so hopefully that will put me in a good light. Both of our names are not on the lease for our rented house, my boyfriend is the sole leaser, but my name is on the lease as an occupant of the house. We both have mail in our names for both addresses (the rental and at his parents' house- and we will get a statement from his parents that we are both occupants) and we will be opening a joint bank account. We have more than enough evidence of our continuing relationship,like stamps in our visa showing visits to each other, photos, emails, MSN conversations, trips taken together, meetings with friends, etc. All that is left really is to fill out the forms correctly, so if anyone at all could give us a little clarification,that would be great and we would really appreciate it!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
1) Not sure which specific question or form you're referring to but, basically, there are questions throughout the application asking about the date you first met (2004), and the development of your relationship; and whether or not you have lived together and the dates of your cohabitation. Pretty much everything you've already detailed here can just fit into the appropriate places in the application forms. The dates you cohabitated are what qualify you as common-law partners, as long as you can provide evidence and documentation to back that up.

2) Form IMM5406 (Additional Family Members) asks for the information about the spouse/common-law partner and, yes, he would include you in that form even though you are his sponsor. But your name is not included anywhere on Form IMM0008 (Application for Permanent Residence).

3) Yes, and be sure you include documentation and evidence of your plans to return to Canada.

kelvin 0321

Aug 28, 2016
OleanderAvenue said:
Hi everyone

My partner and I are trying to move to Canada. Our situation is this:

We have been dating since 2004 when we met while he was in Canada. We had spoken previously through emails etc and got to meet in November 2004, when we decided that we would be a couple. We travelled back and forth to visit each other (he is from Northern Ireland) and in 2006, I was accepted to do my masters in Northern Ireland. I moved over and completed my masters in December 2007. In August 2007 we rented a house together with another roommate, and I moved in in September 2007 (I had gone home for the summer, and my partner and his parents came to visit). We lived in this house until the end of July 2008 (it was a rental) and then moved in with his parents, as we did not want to rent another home for just a few months if we were wanting to move to Canada.

We decided the best thing to do would be for me to sponsor him, as it would not take as long as a skilled worker visa would. We have read through all the information numerous times, and according to everything there, we qualify as a common-law couple. We have started filling in the forms, but are sort of confused about some of the questions. I was hoping someone here, who has done this before, might be able to clarify:

1) In some of the forms, both for the sponsor and the person being sponsored, there is a section asking about current marital status. We both chose common-law, and then there is a box asking for the date in which the relationship was entered into. Would we fill this in as the date we began our relationship, which would be back in 2004, or the date on which we actually qualified as common-law partners (which would be the 15 September 2008, on which we will have been living together for a year)?

2) On the Permanent Resident application form, there is a section to fill in details of additional family members, whether they are being sponsored or not. Would my partner fill myself in as his common-law partner, even though I am the sponsor?

3) I am currently in Northern Ireland on an International Graduate Visa. When filling out the forms, would I say that I am a Canadian Resident living exclusively outside of Canada? I have been living in Northern Ireland for two years, one as a student and one as a graduate, but have always intended to return to Canada.

We are crossing our fingers that we will be approved - we can't see why we wouldn't be, but you never know with this sort of thing. I have had two visas in the last few years, and have never had a problem obtaining one, so hopefully that will put me in a good light. Both of our names are not on the lease for our rented house, my boyfriend is the sole leaser, but my name is on the lease as an occupant of the house. We both have mail in our names for both addresses (the rental and at his parents' house- and we will get a statement from his parents that we are both occupants) and we will be opening a joint bank account. We have more than enough evidence of our continuing relationship,like stamps in our visa showing visits to each other, photos, emails, MSN conversations, trips taken together, meetings with friends, etc. All that is left really is to fill out the forms correctly, so if anyone at all could give us a little clarification,that would be great and we would really appreciate it!
:)