+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Wife

anvi

Jan 19, 2011
I have immigrated to Canada in April 2009 on conjugal relationship but unfortunately have parted ways with my sponsor due to certain unavoidable circumstances. I am quite well settled now in Toronto and plan to get married in September of 2011 and want to sponsor my wife to Canada.

Does my previous failed relationship would have an adverse effect in sponsoring my wife?? I have gone through the sponsor person requirement information and duly qualify to sponsor my wife but still have doubts about my previous failed relationship. Please guide/suggest.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would have to provide formal documentation that you are seperated from your previous partner and have been living by yourself for over a year.

Canadian_girl

Jan 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your partner sponsored you to come to Canada in 2009, he/she is still financially responsible for you for 3 years. Until those 3 years are over, you cannot sponsor someone else to come to Canada.

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
newtone said:
You would have to provide formal documentation that you are seperated from your previous partner and have been living by yourself for over a year.
The divorce certificate would provide this. But, I am curious, I have never heard this "been living by yourself for over a year"...where is that from? Just curious...

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Living by yourself meaning you are not living with your former partner.

anvi

Jan 19, 2011
I came here on conjugnal reltaionship so there was no formal documentation unlike marriage.

leroadrunner

Apr 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011 In Process: 25-01-2012
File Transfer...
21-11-2011
Med's Done....
30-08-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-01-2012
newtone said:
Living by yourself meaning you are not living with your former partner.
yes, I understand what that means...But where is that requirement in the immigration? For example...if a spouse files for divorce for adultery, they can have a divorce finalized quickly...and then suddenly decides to marry their former love or whatever and need to sponsor...there is a chance they may not be living by themselves for less than a year...where would that say that they would be denied?

This is really hypothetical...I just never heard of this. But really wanted to know where that was found...this "living by yourself for more than a year".

patiently_waiting

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 22, 2010
AOR Received.
November 26, 2010
File Transfer...
November 1, 2010
Med's Done....
July 13, 2010
Passport Req..
February 14, 2011
anvi said:
I have immigrated to Canada in April 2009 on conjugal relationship but unfortunately have parted ways with my sponsor due to certain unavoidable circumstances. I am quite well settled now in Toronto and plan to get married in September of 2011 and want to sponsor my wife to Canada.

Does my previous failed relationship would have an adverse effect in sponsoring my wife?? I have gone through the sponsor person requirement information and duly qualify to sponsor my wife but still have doubts about my previous failed relationship. Please guide/suggest.
I don't know if this would be grounds for you to be denied however I would be prepared with a LOT of evidence and be ready for an interview. The IO may have a number of questions that will not be answered through paperwork. I believe Canadian_girl is right, you would have to wait until the last sponsorship has been completed due to the financial responsibility of your sponsor.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian_girl said:
If your partner sponsored you to come to Canada in 2009, he/she is still financially responsible for you for 3 years. Until those 3 years are over, you cannot sponsor someone else to come to Canada.
No, this is not correct. As he was the applicant in that case, he is not bound by the undertaking. He can apply to sponsor his new wife. This rule would only apply if the sponsor was trying to sponsor someone new.

newtone said:
No he doesn't. Not if they were never married or living in a common-law relationship. He certainly has to explain the separation in his application (either by adding more information to the Sponsor Questionnaire or in a cover letter) only because his former conjugal partner was also his sponsor. But since "conjugal relationships" are only recognized for the purposes of the Immigration Act, there are no Family/Divorce laws in Canada that legally define the rights of that kind of relationship, therefore not requiring any formal documentation of separation.