Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-11
File Transfer...
15-03-11
Greetings..
I'm wondering if anyone has experience sponsoring someone from the US? I am a Canadian citizen who recently (2 weeks ago) married a US lady. We had been living together here in Canada off and on for nearly 2 years for as long as she could stay here - which was not more than 3 weeks at a time. Other times I would travel to the US to stay with her and to travel to visit her family.She works in the US. She has been denied entry to Canada once. Immigration claimed she was spending too much time in Canada without proper status and was asked to provide proof of US residency and Full Time US employment. She is now flagged everytime she enters Canada...
My question is about form IMM 5406 - Additional family Information. Does she have to fill this one out even if her grown children are married, Non-dependent and live in the US? And does she (and I ) have to include Parents and brothers ans sisters??
I'm also nervous about the 'living together' question on the Questionnaire form as I can't say she's been living with me as that is against the rules.... I CAN prove that we have spent all of the last 18 months together though.
Any information would be helpful..
Thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gibph said:
Greetings..
I'm wondering if anyone has experience sponsoring someone from the US? I am a Canadian citizen who recently (2 weeks ago) married a US lady. We had been living together here in Canada off and on for nearly 2 years for as long as she could stay here - which was not more than 3 weeks at a time. Other times I would travel to the US to stay with her and to travel to visit her family.She works in the US. She has been denied entry to Canada once. Immigration claimed she was spending too much time in Canada without proper status and was asked to provide proof of US residency and Full Time US employment. She is now flagged everytime she enters Canada...
My question is about form IMM 5406 - Additional family Information. Does she have to fill this one out even if her grown children are married, Non-dependent and live in the US? And does she (and I ) have to include Parents and brothers ans sisters??
I'm also nervous about the 'living together' question on the Questionnaire form as I can't say she's been living with me as that is against the rules.... I CAN prove that we have spent all of the last 18 months together though.
Thanks
1. Yes, she must fill out the Additional Family Information form even if the children are grown and no longer dependent. Yes, she must include parent, brothers and sisters on this form. This is just information about her family, not who is coming with her to Canada. You, as the sponsor do not need to include your parents, brothers and sisters unless they are living with you. You know that you do not need to fill out this form as the sponsor. Read the Guides carefully.
2. It's not against the rules for this type of application for you to say you have been living together. You just have to be able to prove it. She must also answer YES to the question about being denied entry into Canada. Read OP Manual 2 for how the application will be assessed. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
gibph said:
Greetings..
Thanks
If she never stayed more than three weeks at a time was she really LIVING with you? Does she have a residence in the US during this whole process?

gibph

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-11
File Transfer...
15-03-11
Yes she has always been a US resident - which is something we had to prove to Immigration to allow her back into the country. I lived (stay) with her whenever we leave Canada and visit her family in the US...

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
heatherusa said:
If she never stayed more than three weeks at a time was she really LIVING with you? Does she have a residence in the US during this whole process?
True. Those would be visits.

gibph

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-11
File Transfer...
15-03-11
rjessome said:
True. Those would be visits.
So is it better to say She lived with me for 20 months, but had to return to work and or visit family?
I'm just unsure of the best way to proceed.....