+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my parents accompanied by my sister

make-it-easy

Nov 7, 2010
Hello everyone!
I am so glad I found this forum! From all the posts and replies that I see here I believe this is the best place to find answers to our immigration questions. Thank you!

I am looking forward to sponsor my parents and my sister.
I was thinking on bringing my sister first but unfortunately she is already over 22.
So I decided to try sponsoring my mother, accompanied by my sis as a dependant. And later my dad.

I have a couple of questions that I am worried about and I would appreciate your help a lot:

1) If I include my mom as a main applicant and my sister as a dependent child, does my father need to be included as well? As who? If yes, will it mean that he will be also subject to the issuing of the PR status?
2) My mom has diabetes. Will it affect the immigration process outcome?

Since my sister is over 22, we need to prove that she is finacially dependent (true) as well as her being a full time student since before she turned 22 (true).

3) What would be the proof of her financial dependency? She depends on both parents. My dad's income is bigger than my mom's. Since my mom is the main applicant, do we have to prove that my sis depends on my mom only? What if she depends on my dad more?

My sister has graduated this last summer and she enrolled in a second higher education full-time program on Sep 1 2010. She turned 22 a month later, on Oct 5 2010.

4) Is she still eligible?

She has a higher education diploma from the first program.

5) What documents does she need to provide, to prove that she has started the second higher education program? e.g. student ID, the confirmation letter from the university, etc?

If the immigration office calls the universities directly, we might want to warn them about the call as I highly doubt that the secretary speaks english and would be able to understand the inquiry... =( I am truly concerned about it and I don't want such a little thing to mess the things up for us...

Thank you very very much!

Sincerely,
Max

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
make-it-easy said:
Hello everyone!
I am so glad I found this forum! From all the posts and replies that I see here I believe this is the best place to find answers to our immigration questions. Thank you!

I am looking forward to sponsor my parents and my sister.
I was thinking on bringing my sister first but unfortunately she is already over 22.
So I decided to try sponsoring my mother, accompanied by my sis as a dependant. And later my dad.

I have a couple of questions that I am worried about and I would appreciate your help a lot:

1) If I include my mom as a main applicant and my sister as a dependent child, does my father need to be included as well? As who? If yes, will it mean that he will be also subject to the issuing of the PR status?
2) My mom has diabetes. Will it affect the immigration process outcome?

Since my sister is over 22, we need to prove that she is finacially dependent (true) as well as her being a full time student since before she turned 22 (true).

3) What would be the proof of her financial dependency? She depends on both parents. My dad's income is bigger than my mom's. Since my mom is the main applicant, do we have to prove that my sis depends on my mom only? What if she depends on my dad more?

My sister has graduated this last summer and she enrolled in a second higher education full-time program on Sep 1 2010. She turned 22 a month later, on Oct 5 2010.

4) Is she still eligible?

She has a higher education diploma from the first program.

5) What documents does she need to provide, to prove that she has started the second higher education program? e.g. student ID, the confirmation letter from the university, etc?

If the immigration office calls the universities directly, we might want to warn them about the call as I highly doubt that the secretary speaks english and would be able to understand the inquiry... =( I am truly concerned about it and I don't want such a little thing to mess the things up for us...

Sincerely,
Max
In parental sponsorships, it's an all or nothing type of thing. All eligible family members must be included, no matter if all of them want to come to Canada. So you would include your mother, father and sister. From what you describe, your sister would still be eligible as a dependent at this time. However, read through the guide very carefully and the OP manual. Your sister (seeing as she is over 22 as of the date of the application) must REMAIN a dependent for the duration of the application. See OP Manual 2, Section 5.23: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

Dependent children over
22 years of age and fulltime
students
Since before the age of 22 or, if married or a common-law partner
before the age of 22, since becoming a spouse of common- law
partner they have been:
• substantially dependent for financial support on their parents; and
• continuously enrolled and actively pursuing a course of study at an
accredited post secondary institution when the application is
received by CPC-M and when the visa is issued.

Regarding your mom's diabetes, it depends on how severe it is at the time of the medical assessment. Generally, no, being a diabetic won't make you medically inadmissible but there are some stages of Type 1 diabetes in particular that could potentially make a person inadmissible. I'm talking about when the disease is already playing havoc on other body systems like the heart, blindness, circulation, etc. Again, for many with diabetes, this won't be a factor at all but for some, it could if the diabetes is the root cause of the deterioration of other organs/systems.

This same OP manual specifically describes how CIC will assess financial dependency of the child over 22 as well as whether or not they are a full time student and what proof to provide. Read carefully.

You say "later my dad." This is not possible as your dad must be included on the application. However, he does not have to accompany your mom to Canada if he doesn't want to. If the application is successful and your dad doesn't want to land, he could be sponsored by your mom at a later date. But you must meet the financial eligibilty requirements for the whole family, not just those who would be coming to Canada first.

make-it-easy

Nov 7, 2010
rjessome,

Thank you very much for your reply! I will read carefully through the manual you provided before asking any questions that might be answered in it. And if I still have any, I will post them here.

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Sincerely,
Max

make-it-easy

Nov 7, 2010
rjessome said:
In parental sponsorships, it's an all or nothing type of thing. All eligible family members must be included, no matter if all of them want to come to Canada. So you would include your mother, father and sister. From what you describe, your sister would still be eligible as a dependent at this time. However, read through the guide very carefully and the OP manual. Your sister (seeing as she is over 22 as of the date of the application) must REMAIN a dependent for the duration of the application. See OP Manual 2, Section 5.23

Dependent children over
22 years of age and fulltime
students
Since before the age of 22 or, if married or a common-law partner
before the age of 22, since becoming a spouse of common- law
partner they have been:
• substantially dependent for financial support on their parents; and
• continuously enrolled and actively pursuing a course of study at an
accredited post secondary institution when the application is
received by CPC-M and when the visa is issued.

Regarding your mom's diabetes, it depends on how severe it is at the time of the medical assessment. Generally, no, being a diabetic won't make you medically inadmissible but there are some stages of Type 1 diabetes in particular that could potentially make a person inadmissible. I'm talking about when the disease is already playing havoc on other body systems like the heart, blindness, circulation, etc. Again, for many with diabetes, this won't be a factor at all but for some, it could if the diabetes is the root cause of the deterioration of other organs/systems.

This same OP manual specifically describes how CIC will assess financial dependency of the child over 22 as well as whether or not they are a full time student and what proof to provide. Read carefully.

You say "later my dad." This is not possible as your dad must be included on the application. However, he does not have to accompany your mom to Canada if he doesn't want to. If the application is successful and your dad doesn't want to land, he could be sponsored by your mom at a later date. But you must meet the financial eligibilty requirements for the whole family, not just those who would be coming to Canada first.
Hi rjessome
I wanted to clear up some things about my sister as from what I see, in my first post, I wasn't clear about her "second higher education full-time program".

When I said that my sister had taken the second "higher" education program, I actually meant "the next one that goes after the high education" which is a Masters Degree.

I guess I should have referred to it as "being enrolled in a two year program of the Master Degree to supplement her high education bachelor's degree (Business and Administration).

I am sorry for my english.

I was wondering if the Masters Degree is also considered an eligible educational program and my sister is still considered a full-time student?

I could not find this information in the document you gave me.

Thank you!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
make-it-easy said:
Hi rjessome
I wanted to clear up some things about my sister as from what I see, in my first post, I wasn't clear about her "second higher education full-time program".

When I said that my sister had taken the second "higher" education program, I actually meant "the next one that goes after the high education" which is a Masters Degree.

I guess I should have referred to it as "being enrolled in a two year program of the Master Degree to supplement her high education bachelor's degree (Business and Administration).

I am sorry for my english.

I was wondering if the Masters Degree is also considered an eligible educational program and my sister is still considered a full-time student?

I could not find this information in the document you gave me.

Thank you!
Yes, studying to complete a Master's Degree is fine as long as she is enrolled in a full-time program. The definition of full-time should be in the guide and if I remember correctly, I think it's 15 hours per week. Double check that point.

make-it-easy

Nov 7, 2010
rjessome said:
Yes, studying to complete a Master's Degree is fine as long as she is enrolled in a full-time program. The definition of full-time should be in the guide and if I remember correctly, I think it's 15 hours per week. Double check that point.
rjessome,
I think I have a problem... I checked the processing time for the sponsorship application as well as the application submitted by my family.

Sponorship eligibility review - 38 months.
All the rest - 21 months.
Total - 5 years.

They say my sis needs to be a full time student also at the time when the PR status is issued.. Her Master's degree won't last longer than 2 years...

That is a problem, right?

Thanks again for all your help!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
make-it-easy said:
rjessome,
I think I have a problem... I checked the processing time for the sponsorship application as well as the application submitted by my family.

Sponorship eligibility review - 38 months.
All the rest - 21 months.
Total - 5 years.

They say my sis needs to be a full time student also at the time when the PR status is issued.. Her Master's degree won't last longer than 2 years...

That is a problem, right?

Thanks again for all your help!
Yes, to be considered a dependent she needs to remain a full time student for the duration of the application if and until a PR visa is issued. She could always enroll in another program after finishing her masters. Ph.D. maybe? Or something else.

make-it-easy

Nov 7, 2010
rjessome said:
Yes, to be considered a dependent she needs to remain a full time student for the duration of the application if and until a PR visa is issued. She could always enroll in another program after finishing her masters. Ph.D. maybe? Or something else.
Hi rjessome,

Thank you again for all your help. I see your replies everywhere on this forum. I can't imagine how much time it takes you to read, analyze, find the answer to each individual case and then spend time posting it! Thanks for your dedication. I am sure everyone here appreciates this. You rock!

Speaking of my own situation, I am afraid that my sister will not be enrolling in any other academic programs during the next 5 years.
Just because it wouldn't be a true pursuit of an academic degree anymore. It will rather become a way just to qualify as a dependent child. I can't do that. Maybe we should try other options, like the skilled worker program, etc for her?

However, right now I am preparing all the documentation to apply for the sponsorship of my parents.
Can I NOT add my sister as a dependent child? If I add her as a dependent, she will cease to qualify in 1-1.5 years anyway.
I consider that there is no point in gathering all the proof from the university, her financial evaluations etc, just to prove that although she is over 22, she is still dependent. And then after a year to loose this qualification anyway... :(

So what if I say that she is not dependent right from the beginning? Do I make any sense?

I was wondering about the declaration of the non-acompanying members - if my sister is NOT DEPENDENT and she will not be accompanying my parents, do I have to add her in the "non-accompanying family members" section?
In the sponsor's financial evaluation form I have to put the number of all the people from section C of the IMM1344A, including C-4: non-accompanying family members. If I add her to C-4, my minimum necessary income will jump up because it's not only 2 people anymore, but three. Why would it go up if the person is not coming to Canada? :-/

Do I have to add my mother's non-dependent child in that C-4 section?