+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my husband from Philippines to come to Canada

Jan 13, 2013
Hello

I was wondering if someone will be able to help me with this. Is the Canadian Embassy going to look for my husbands CENOMAR as one of the requirement? We got married in the Caribbean, St. Thomas, US Virgin Island to be exact, therefore there will be no record of our marriage in the Philippines.

Can I just register our wedding here in Canada and will that be enough for the Canadian Immigration as proof that we are husband and wife. I am eager to get my husband to come to Canada so we can start our family together and I just want to know if me registering our marriage in Canada is enough for the Canadian Embassy.

I look forward to everyone's opinion.

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
FilipinoCanadian said:
Hello

I was wondering if someone will be able to help me with this. Is the Canadian Embassy going to look for my husbands CENOMAR as one of the requirement? We got married in the Caribbean, St. Thomas, US Virgin Island to be exact, therefore there will be no record of our marriage in the Philippines.

Can I just register our wedding here in Canada and will that be enough for the Canadian Immigration as proof that we are husband and wife. I am eager to get my husband to come to Canada so we can start our family together and I just want to know if me registering our marriage in Canada is enough for the Canadian Embassy.

I look forward to everyone's opinion.
When you apply to sponsor your husband, CIC will determine your relationship with your husband on the basis of documentation (marriage certificate is one of them) you submit with your application. Did you not register your marriage in the Caribbean? Seems that you have not changed your marital status in Canada.

Jan 13, 2013
Our marriage in the Caribbean was registered. I have not changed my status in Canada but I will as soon as I can. I just want to know if he also needs to register and or change his status in the Philippines or will the immigration be good enough with me registering it here in Canada?

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
FilipinoCanadian said:
Our marriage in the Caribbean was registered. I have not changed my status in Canada but I will as soon as I can. I just want to know if he also needs to register and or change his status in the Philippines or will the immigration be good enough with me registering it here in Canada?
You and your husband both must change marital status to Married ASAP. This will help in the sponsorship process otherwise questions will arise about the genuineness of marriage and IO may think this is a marriage of convenience just to obtain a Permanent Residence Visa to Canada.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
About registering it in the Philippines - when your application goes to Manilla for second stage, they will be evaluating your relationship and marriage according to Filipino standards, and what is normal in the Philippines. So depending on what type of wedding you had, it's difficult to know if it's enough or not.... it depends on what else you have to include in your application as a proof.
Good luck,
Sweden