+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Girlfriend/ soon to be wife from the Philippines

Jake17

Oct 3, 2019
Hi kind people. Could you please give me more knowledge regarding sponsoring. A little about me, I am a Canadian Citizen, 23 years old, and have a decent job to support my girlfriend and myself. We have previously applied my girlfriend for Tourist Visa twice and both times, unfortunately she was denied. So for better chances and we've thought about this and really want to be together here in Canada. We decided to get married in the Philippines ASAP through civil wedding. So here are my questions.

1. Will those two Tourist Visa rejections affect my plan to sponsor her?
2. I've seen the thing about marrying if your under 25 years old, what are other important things to consider?
3. Documents or files I need as a Canadian Citizen to bring in the Philippines for marriage.
4. When should I start applying for sponsorship (before or after the marriage) - sounds dumb but I just need to confirm as well?
5. How long is the processing based on your personal experience (I know it's about 12 months as what Canada.ca indicates)?
6. Any other information that I need to know or consider.

Your feedbacks would truly help me a lot. Thank you so much in advance. Hope to hear from you guys at your earliest convenience. Thanks again!

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi kind people. Could you please give me more knowledge regarding sponsoring. A little about me, I am a Canadian Citizen, 23 years old, and have a decent job to support my girlfriend and myself. We have previously applied my girlfriend for Tourist Visa twice and both times, unfortunately she was denied. So for better chances and we've thought about this and really want to be together here in Canada. We decided to get married in the Philippines ASAP through civil wedding. So here are my questions.

1. Will those two Tourist Visa rejections affect my plan to sponsor her?
2. I've seen the thing about marrying if your under 25 years old, what are other important things to consider?
3. Documents or files I need as a Canadian Citizen to bring in the Philippines for marriage.
4. When should I start applying for sponsorship (before or after the marriage) - sounds dumb but I just need to confirm as well?
5. How long is the processing based on your personal experience (I know it's about 12 months as what Canada.ca indicates)?
6. Any other information that I need to know or consider.

Your feedbacks would truly help me a lot. Thank you so much in advance. Hope to hear from you guys at your earliest convenience. Thanks again!
hi I will answer what i can from my experience sponsoring my indian wife.

1. Tourist rejections will not have a negative impact on your spousal sponsorship. Just if there are any forms that ask if she has ever been refused make sure you tell the whole truth.
2. Just have to have proofs that your marriage is genuine. Are you two of similar age?
3. Not sure for Philippines but in India i just had my passport.
4. you can start applying as soon as you get married and have your marriage certificate in hand.
5. Personal experience from India was about 7/8 months outland.

Other things to consider are that you have to have enough proofs that your marriage and relationship is real and not for the purposes of immigration. You are doing a civil wedding, if that's normal then fine, but if its normal in Philippines culture to do bigger weddings where family are involved then i would do that. Basically do what is normal for the custom/culture. I would start gathering your chat logs, your call logs, pictures of you together, letters from friends and family who attended the wedding or can vouch for your relationship. Gifts/money you may have sent each other, proofs of your passport stamps for when you went to visit her etc...

Reactions: Jake17

Jake17

Oct 3, 2019
hi I will answer what i can from my experience sponsoring my indian wife.

1. Tourist rejections will not have a negative impact on your spousal sponsorship. Just if there are any forms that ask if she has ever been refused make sure you tell the whole truth.
2. Just have to have proofs that your marriage is genuine. Are you two of similar age?
3. Not sure for Philippines but in India i just had my passport.
4. you can start applying as soon as you get married and have your marriage certificate in hand.
5. Personal experience from India was about 7/8 months outland.

Other things to consider are that you have to have enough proofs that your marriage and relationship is real and not for the purposes of immigration. You are doing a civil wedding, if that's normal then fine, but if its normal in Philippines culture to do bigger weddings where family are involved then i would do that. Basically do what is normal for the custom/culture. I would start gathering your chat logs, your call logs, pictures of you together, letters from friends and family who attended the wedding or can vouch for your relationship. Gifts/money you may have sent each other, proofs of your passport stamps for when you went to visit her etc...

Thank you so much for your quick reply Jets13.
- Yes, we're both 23 years old.
- I think civil wedding is pretty normal in the Philippines but most of the time, it's usually bigger wedding because of custom. Also, we've been a couple for almost 10 years as boyfriend/girlfriend, so we have more than enough proof that we are legitimate.

Again, thank you so much for your response and will definitely take note of this. Cheers! God Bless you more!