+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Dependent Child - CIC asking for Sponsor residency after Medical

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
We are a family for 4 - me, my wife and elder son all have PR but my daughter (less than 2 years old) was born in US after we got our PR. We came to Canada this January and sponsored her for PR under family class (dependent child) in March, 2017.

The application was processed and they asked for Medicals few weeks back which we promptly got done. Everything was fine in Medical.

Just last week, we got an email from CIC asking for

SPR's residency: Please provide us with an evidence that your sponsor resides in Canada, or has taken steps to re-establish residence in Canada. This includes but is not limited to: recent pay stubs, T4 slips, utility bills, and banking history, employment letters, lease agreements/mortgage etc. Driver’s licenses, property tax assessments, social insurance or health insurance cards are not sufficient to show residency.

Is it normal to ask for this document after Medicals? Note that dependent child is less than 2 years old.

I don't yet have jobs in Canada. For now, I am planning to send them utility bills, banking history, lease/mortgage papers and email communications on job search.
1. Few of the utility bills (like electricity) is name of my wife. Would that be ok (if I attach the marriage certificate)?
2. I am not able to provide paystubs, T4 etc.
3. We are traveling to our home country for 1 months vacation in July first week - will that be an issue?

Any thoughts?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Is it normal to ask for this document after Medicals? Note that dependent child is less than 2 years old.

I don't yet have jobs in Canada. For now, I am planning to send them utility bills, banking history, lease/mortgage papers and email communications on job search.
1. Few of the utility bills (like electricity) is name of my wife. Would that be ok (if I attach the marriage certificate)?
2. I am not able to provide paystubs, T4 etc.
3. We are traveling to our home country for 1 months vacation in July first week - will that be an issue?
This is a common request and can happen at any point in the process.

1. No. As your wife is not the sponsor, proof that she lives in Canada is not what they want to see.

2. Those are just some of the possible proofs.

3. As a PR, you are required to live in Canada throughout the sponsorship process. Leaving for one month is a risk.

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
1. I am curious - in a household, utility accounts are typically shared or under joint ownership.Same for mortgage and/or lease. Would it be hard for them to understand that some utility bills can be in both names or in wife names.
BTW, does Bell Canada landline telephone bill falls under utility?

3. Upps - we already made reservations and flight bookings - How big of a risk is that? I mean for a family for 4, we spent close to $5K. It would suck to cancel it all (without knowing how long the sponsorship process is going to take)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. They understand that a utility bill can be in one partner's name. However what you're looking to prove is that the sponsor is living in Canada. So you need evidence that lists the sponsor's name specifically. We see many scenarios where one spouse is living in Canada and the other is living outside of Canada. You need to prove the sponsor is residing inside of the country. Yes - you can include telephone bills. If the sponsor has used the health care system, request that record from the province.
3. It's definitely a risk - how big a risk is difficult for any of us to say.

shallowpurple

Star Member
Jul 26, 2014
We got the request for SPR's residency documentation on mid last week (We were provided time till Aug 01) and we promptly send them the document this Monday.

Does CIC wait till Aug 01 (or would they look at the document as they receive them) and make a decision? (they had asked for medical in early june and medical results were uploaded to them within 3-4 days - ECAS status shows that (medical received))

If CIC start processing as soon as they receive the document, and they might be able to get to make a decision before we go in mid july?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's very hard to say what will happen. Sometimes they'll start actioning the file as soon as the requested documents are received. Other times they won't touch the file again until the due date for receiving the documents has passed. Hopefully in your case they'll start immediately.

imtiaztaj

Apr 7, 2004
Japan
can anybody let many know how many T4s, Pay stubs, how many years of the banking history I mean appropriate time period it should cover . Its very urgent please.