+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring common-law partner from inside Canada

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
Hello,
i wonder how many people here have their application to sponsor their partner (spouse or common-law) from in Canada?

We sent ours in Nov 2009 and still we havent heard anything from them. I read here that they will send a letter in 6 months only and what would it say? Would we know then if sponsorship been approved or would they only start processing in 6 months? :eek:

Im just curious what can be happening with our application at the moment since we cant find it on cic web site to track and how long it will take?

Thank you for any input

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
Applying inland usually takes 12-18 months, with approval-in-principle being approved, again usually, after ~6 months.

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
in about 6 months u would get (or not) AIP, aproval in principle, u could ask for open work permit.
did u check ur ecas? status online on their site?

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
thank you for your replies
what does approval in principle mean? sponsorship?
we have been trying to check our application online, but it still doesnt show up (over 4 months later).
we tried calling them, the only thing we found out is that they got my application and that we will hear from them sometime in 6 months.....

Asta, do you see your applications status on their web site?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
lrw said:
we have been trying to check our application online, but it still doesnt show up (over 4 months later).
we tried calling them, the only thing we found out is that they got my application and that we will hear from them sometime in 6 months.....

Approval in principle, if received, means that the applicant gets a work permit. The reason your case isn't showing up online is that it hasn't started to be processed just yet.

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
Swede said:
Approval in principle, if received, means that the applicant gets a work permit. The reason your case isn't showing up online is that it hasn't started to be processed just yet.
what if i didnt apply for a work permit? is that all we get after 6 months of waiting? :eek: when would we know if sponsorship was approved?

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
no i dont see any data on my ecas yet. i hope ill see it someday in april.
when u get AIP u can apply for open work permit if u havent done it yet. i say its pretty good, u get a right to work and health insurance.
what are u asking saying 'sponsorship approved'? if u asking if ur sponsor is approved to sponsor u, getting AIP means yes. if u asking about ur permanent residence approval, it will take more time after u get AIP, they gonna check all ur background etc. it might take months.

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
Thank you Asta
Yes work permit is good, I wanted it really bad before, but now we have a small baby so I cant really work for a while.
Yes i meant I was curious to know when my sponsor will be approved, now I understand, thank you.
By health insurance, do you mean OHIP? because I read you can only get it after you have your PR.
And you said you are hoping to see your application online 2 months after applying... for me its been over 4 months and nothing :( I wish you good luck though, if you would like to keep in touch to see how its going for both of us, I would be happy to ;)

Asta

Jan 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
Med's Done....
18-01-2010
Interview........
-
LANDED..........
01-03-2011
sure we can keep in touch. im not sure bout insurance but since they give us permit to work there has to be some kind of insurance. i really dont know bout this stuff, how does it work in Canada..
well i noticed that people find their status on ecas after about 2.5 months after applying. i dont know why they dont start other people's applications for longer time. i guess its only for them to know. i regret i didnt send our application a year ago, it used to be much faster process. but i was still living in europe and not married to my current hubby.
congrats with the baby :) keeps u busy all the time :)
and goodluck with ur application!

BlueDragon17846

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
St. Catharines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2011
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
lrw said:

If you applied inland in Nov, you should see it on the site. I applied Dec 14 and was able to see mine about 2 weeks ago. How are you logging in? Are you using the client ID number or receipt number?

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
BlueDragon17846 said:
If you applied inland in Nov, you should see it on the site. I applied Dec 14 and was able to see mine about 2 weeks ago. How are you logging in? Are you using the client ID number or receipt number?
thank you for your responce,
i was logging using my and my sponsors clind ID number
ill try receipt number tonight

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
BlueDragon17846 said:
I just tried using all possible numbers we have and its not showing up... i wonder if they just havent logged it on their system or if they are not even processing it :mad:

BlueDragon17846

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
St. Catharines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2011
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
lrw said:
I just tried using all possible numbers we have and its not showing up... i wonder if they just havent logged it on their system or if they are not even processing it :mad:
Try using your client ID number. If you have a visitor visa or a work permit, it should be written on that. Also, use all of your info.

BlueDragon17846

Star Member
Oct 29, 2009
St. Catharines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2010
Doc's Request.
04-03-2011
LANDED..........
12-05-2011
lrw said:
Thank you Asta
Yes work permit is good, I wanted it really bad before, but now we have a small baby so I cant really work for a while.
Yes i meant I was curious to know when my sponsor will be approved, now I understand, thank you.
By health insurance, do you mean OHIP? because I read you can only get it after you have your PR.
And you said you are hoping to see your application online 2 months after applying... for me its been over 4 months and nothing :( I wish you good luck though, if you would like to keep in touch to see how its going for both of us, I would be happy to ;)
And by the way, yes, you can apply for OHIP and a work permit after AIP approval.

lrw

Mar 12, 2010
BlueDragon17846 said:
Try using your client ID number. If you have a visitor visa or a work permit, it should be written on that. Also, use all of your info.

BlueDragon, i did try client ID, thats number one thing ive been trying and it doesnt work, my sponsors doesnt work either... ill try giving them a call
and thank you for OHIP info, that would be great, but do you know for sure? is it written somewhere?