+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored to live in AB moving to Quebec

Ben11212

Apr 22, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm just enquiring about living locations when it comes to sponsorship. My partner and I are currently living in Australia and I'm looking at sponsoring her as my common-law partner as I am a Canadian Citizen. My family lives in AB and they have a signed and certified letter saying we can stay with them as long as it takes for us to get ourself fully established.
Our plan is to gain approval for sponsorship (PR), live in AB for roughly 6 months - 1 year and then move to Ontario where my partner can start University. We are wanting to live on the Quebec side of the Ontario boarder as we have a little puppy English Staffordshire Terrior which are a banned breed. If I apply to be living in AB, once the process has been approved, can we live anywhere? What are these rules? Do we need to apply for some sort of application to live in Qubec?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can live anywhere in Canada once you are a PR. In any case, since you will be living in Alberta for a while, what you put on the application is what you are planning to do anyway. There is no amount of time you have to stay in the province you indicated as the place you planned to live. And Quebec is just another Canadian province - you don't need permission to live there.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Ben11212 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm just enquiring about living locations when it comes to sponsorship. My partner and I are currently living in Australia and I'm looking at sponsoring her as my common-law partner as I am a Canadian Citizen. My family lives in AB and they have a signed and certified letter saying we can stay with them as long as it takes for us to get ourself fully established.
Our plan is to gain approval for sponsorship (PR), live in AB for roughly 6 months - 1 year and then move to Ontario where my partner can start University. We are wanting to live on the Quebec side of the Ontario boarder as we have a little puppy English Staffordshire Terrior which are a banned breed. If I apply to be living in AB, once the process has been approved, can we live anywhere? What are these rules? Do we need to apply for some sort of application to live in Qubec?
When you live in canada, you can go anywhere you want in canada. no internal border/restrictions or anything. same deal as in aus, between states.

different govs per province though so will need to register with different health systems etc, otherwise the country is open!

Ben11212

Apr 22, 2016
:D Thank you both! The weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Another quick question you might be able to help me with... Should I apply for another Canadian passport as I don't currently hold one? Throughout my application I have been using my Australian passport. I'm not sure of this matters as I have certified copies of my birth certificate and citizenship to support my application.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Ben11212 said:
:D Thank you both! The weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Another quick question you might be able to help me with... Should I apply for another Canadian passport as I don't currently hold one? Throughout my application I have been using my Australian passport. I'm not sure of this matters as I have certified copies of my birth certificate and citizenship to support my application.
If youre the sponsor you need to use your canadian passport. So yes youll need to apply for a new one if youre applying to sponsor outside canada.

Im fairly certain of this. If youre applying to sponsor using things which show youre australian it may cause problems as only canadians are allowed to sponsor. Youre allowed to be dual but i think yoj should be using your canadian docs for this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ben11212 said:
A Canadian passport is not required for the application, as you have other citizenship proofs.

However, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp. If you return to Canada after the mandatory implementation of the eTA in September, you will need to have a Canadian passport. You will not be able to board a plane to Canada using your Australian passport because as a Canadian, you cannot obtain an eTA.

tanigawa

Jul 2, 2015
canadianwoman said:
You can live anywhere in Canada once you are a PR. In any case, since you will be living in Alberta for a while, what you put on the application is what you are planning to do anyway. There is no amount of time you have to stay in the province you indicated as the place you planned to live. And Quebec is just another Canadian province - you don't need permission to live there.
Just to clarify this: Quebec is indeed just another Canadian province, but Quebec is special. As a Canadian citizen, you should not have any trouble moving to Quebec. However, if the sponsored spouse does not already have health coverage and proof of residence in Alberta or another province, he/she may be denied entry to Quebec's provincial health program (RAMQ) without a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ). If you do not already have health coverage in another province, I believe you must have the CSQ and proof that you landed in Quebec (not in another province) in order to be admissible to RAMQ.