+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor Spouse- PGWP

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Hey guys,

I had some questions if seniors or anyone on the same boat can clarify them will be of great help. To give my background I came to Canada on my study visa did my university and currently on my PGWP. I am planning to apply next yr end for my PR application, one development that took place I got engaged last yr and I am planning to go back home next month and get married. I have few concerns:

1) Whats the fastest way she can come here as I am still on my PGWP ?

2) When I apply next yr for my PR , if shes not here will it impact the whole processing time of the application ?

3) Once I get married , what kind of docs are needed for the proof of marriage ?

Anyone can help on this will be really appreciated. Thanks

bluewish

Oct 1, 2011
I was in similar situation and what I did was applying visitor visa for my spouse and then submitting CEC application when both of us were in Canada. All you need is a marriage certificate which should be translate from your language to English or French

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for the reply,

Can someone clarify it it have any impact on the overall CEC timeperiod if I add my spouse on the application if shes not here ?

jsa

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
rcd on 8th june 2011
AOR Received.
19th august
IELTS Request
along with application
Med's Request
september 1st 2011
Med's Done....
september 9th 2011
don't worry. i am in same boat still i came close to ppr. my family in back home and all we three did our medicals on same day...................!!!

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Hey Jsa,

When u applied for your PR ur family was back home ?? did it have any impact on the overall process. Thanks

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Hi if anyone can help on this topic, will be much appreciated as I am working on a tight timeline ?? Thanks

mah87

Oct 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-08-2011
AOR Received.
27-09-2010
File Transfer...
08-03-2011
Med's Request
04-08-2011
Med's Done....
26-07-2011 (advance)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-11-2011
LANDED..........
29-12-2011
Hi mah121,

I am in the same boat... I filed my application for CEC in May 2010, got AOR end of Sept 2010. Then got married in Nov and added my wife to my application in Dec 2010.

Has it delayed my application processing, absolutely. People who have applied along with me (and some of my friends even after me) have already received their passports with PR visa. You'd have to "pull some strings" in order to stay on top of things. My file got transferred to NY in March 2011 and I didn't hear anything back from them for more than 4 months which was frustrating. So what I did was I did my medical in advance end of July 2011 (while my wife was back home and I was in Canada) and sent them my medical receipts and wrote an additional note on the receipt stating that I am waiting for instructions for medicals for my wife. Then they sent me the paperwork for my wife's medical in August and my wife did her medicals in August 2011.
And I am just waiting for the PPR. I know its really really slow for 2010 applicants apparently and adding your wife to your application will delay the process quite a bit.

But depending on where you're from and the amount of time it takes to "sponsor" your wife as opposed to "adding" your wife to your CEC application will probably be a better determinant of how fast you and your wife can reunite in canada.

PS: I've also had to contact my MP and have ordered CAIPS twice ever since I applied for CEC and am still waiting for a PPR.

Hope this help.

Regards

jsa

Jul 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
rcd on 8th june 2011
AOR Received.
19th august
IELTS Request
along with application
Med's Request
september 1st 2011
Med's Done....
september 9th 2011
its not that.........!! i applied in june along with my wife and kid. we three completed our medicals and waiting for PPR.............!!

i think it varies from case to case................!!!

hope you will be ok............!!

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for such a detailed reponse mah87, in my case waiting time to sponsor is 24months which is way more than the average processing time of 14 months for CEC, so I was thinking that when I file for my PR add my spouse on the app at the same time so whenever we get the PR we both get that at the same time and will be much lesser time as compared to waiting to sponsor her. So, I am thinking on those lines and also will try to apply her visitor visa so at least she can be here and then apply for both our PR.

Anyone has any other suggestions ?? Thanks

saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question:
Does anyone know how soon after receiving PR, can one go get married and sponsor spouse??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mah121 said:
Thanks for such a detailed reponse mah87, in my case waiting time to sponsor is 24months which is way more than the average processing time of 14 months for CEC, so I was thinking that when I file for my PR add my spouse on the app at the same time so whenever we get the PR we both get that at the same time and will be much lesser time as compared to waiting to sponsor her. So, I am thinking on those lines and also will try to apply her visitor visa so at least she can be here and then apply for both our PR.

Anyone has any other suggestions ?? Thanks
You have two options here. Include her on your CEC from the start or include her as not accompanying and sponsor her later. In both cases, you will need her background checks and medicals done so I don't think your processing will be much faster if you list her as not accompanying and then you would have to wait for her sponsorship to go through.

saka101 said:
Question:
Does anyone know how soon after receiving PR, can one go get married and sponsor spouse??
Immediately but be aware that immigration may feel that you cheated them a bit if you marry and sponsor very soon after getting PR. For example, they might want you to prove that you did not already live with your spouse for a year which would have made you common law partners.

saka101

Mar 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Immediately but be aware that immigration may feel that you cheated them a bit if you marry and sponsor very soon after getting PR. For example, they might want you to prove that you did not already live with your spouse for a year which would have made you common law partners.
[/quote]

We have never lived together and has been away from each other for years.

mah121

Star Member
Jun 6, 2011
Hey guys thanks all for your replies ....

So Leon what do you recommend how do I go about doing this ? Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mah121 said:
Hey guys thanks all for your replies ....

So Leon what do you recommend how do I go about doing this ? Thanks
I already answered that. You have the option of including your wife now and both getting PR together.

If you list her an non-accompanying, there is no guarantee that your processing will be any faster plus you would have to go through sponsoring her after you get PR yourself.

It is much better to include her from the start.

She can try applying for her visit visa to come and join you but there is no guarantee she will get it.

The case of mah87 is completely different from yours because he got married in the middle of his processing and then had to add his wife. You will be applying with your wife from the start.