+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor for my wife to visit me, hard situation. Any inputs welcome

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
Hi all,

My application to sponsor my wife to Canada is still in process in Singapore embassy (my wife is a Vietnamese citizen). As the processing time is ridiculously long (almost 3 years), I'd like her to apply a visitor visa as my job does not give me much vacation time. As part of doing the application, there are some questions that I have to idea how to answer and I'd like to get some inputs. Hopefully, some people in the forum can share your inputs or their experience with me.

• Itinerary:
I want my wife to stay in Canada for about 3 months. However, until she is approved for visa, she can't purchase a plane ticket yet. How am I supposed to know what the route/time will be? Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Purpose of Travel - Other
This requires me to provide documents supporting the purpose of her travel to Canada. As this visit is strictly for visiting me, what documents should she give?
  • Employment Reference Letter:
This is tricky for my wife as she is self employed. She owns a small salon. However, the nature of tax system in my country, she can get away without paying any taxes. Now, she has no proofs and is not much different from an unemployed person. Did anyone ever go through the same situation like me, will that person share how you work around this?
  • Proof of Income & Proof of Means of Financial Support:
My wife has a saving account with one of the banks in Vietnam. However, the money is not considered to be enough to support her time here. On the other hand, I have more than enough to support both her and me. Is it strictly that she has to have enough money to support her here or I can prove that I have enough to support her here?

I know my case is quite unique and not usually encountered :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( (I read that most spouses/significant others in this forum have jobs in their country and it is easy to prove they have money to support their time in Canada). However, I'd like to give it a try as 3 years wait time is absurd. I will appreciate if anyone can provide the inputs to my questions. If they want to give more suggestions/advices, I will be very glad to hear too.

Inpasarable

Star Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hi!

I won't be able to answer all of your questions, but some of them - yes:

1) Itinerary
- you can open any flight search website (Orbitz.com for example), find a preferable flight for your wife, open detailed info about this flight and just make a screenshot (picture) of this flight and after insert this picture into your document. I was doing that many times and it was always fine (just add a note, that this is a flight you will choose if the application will be approved)
However, apart from the flight, don't forget to provide details about her stay in Canada. If it's 3 months, it doesn't have to be very detailed, but still, there have to be an itinerary for the whole stay.

2) Purpose of travel.
In this folder I was attaching a very thorough letter about my purpose of visit Canada. Why I need to go there, for how long, explaining my relationship with my husband, my travel history and other stuff, that could generate questions of visa officer. Last page of the letter contained marriage certificate and also one additional major document that confirmed that I will leave Canada at specific date.

3)Not sure, what to suggest. In general, it has to be the proof that your wife will come back to her country after visit. For most of the people the good and stable job is such proof. Me, i have got 10 years multi-visa being unemployed, but I haв very strong proof that I will leave Canada at exact date. This all depends on situation. Maybe there is something, you can use as a proof apart from job? However, unemployed people with no experience of visiting Canada before - the chances are quite low.

4)I have a very specific situation, so I dont think, I could be a good example, but last 2 TRV I got while was unemployed. So my husband was my sponsor in any subject. We were attaching all the financial documents confirming his financial status (paystubs, T4, bank statements, employment letter). I think, if there is not enough money on your wife account, you can support her and provide all the necessary documents according checklist (however, in that case, you should change the answers for the survey you usually go through in the beginning of onlain application. You wife should answer YES in the question "Do you depend on someone financially" - this will add additional folder to her application)

aman1986

Star Member
Oct 3, 2012
hi
my mother applied for visitor it got refused,Can she apply again like right away?? .bacause I am pregnant i need her here to help me. what is the meaning of the itinerary ?

Ziad S.

Dec 12, 2014
aman1986 said:
hi
my mother applied for visitor it got refused,Can she apply again like right away?? .bacause I am pregnant i need her here to help me. what is the meaning of the itinerary ?
If you are planning to apply again you need to know whats the reason(s) for the refusal, first.
itinerary is the flight the details. Meaning its the route you will be taking to reach your destination.

etienbjel

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2014
Doc's Request.
09-10-2014
AOR Received.
30-07-2014
File Transfer...
29-10-2014
Med's Done....
15-05-2014
Interview........
Initially requested but waived after providing more evidence online
Passport Req..
12-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2016
LANDED..........
20-05-2016
thanhlong1984 said:
Hi all,

My application to sponsor my wife to Canada is still in process in Singapore embassy (my wife is a Vietnamese citizen). As the processing time is ridiculously long (almost 3 years), I'd like her to apply a visitor visa as my job does not give me much vacation time. As part of doing the application, there are some questions that I have to idea how to answer and I'd like to get some inputs. Hopefully, some people in the forum can share your inputs or their experience with me.

• Itinerary:
I want my wife to stay in Canada for about 3 months. However, until she is approved for visa, she can't purchase a plane ticket yet. How am I supposed to know what the route/time will be? Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Purpose of Travel - Other
This requires me to provide documents supporting the purpose of her travel to Canada. As this visit is strictly for visiting me, what documents should she give?
  • Employment Reference Letter:
This is tricky for my wife as she is self employed. She owns a small salon. However, the nature of tax system in my country, she can get away without paying any taxes. Now, she has no proofs and is not much different from an unemployed person. Did anyone ever go through the same situation like me, will that person share how you work around this?
  • Proof of Income & Proof of Means of Financial Support:
My wife has a saving account with one of the banks in Vietnam. However, the money is not considered to be enough to support her time here. On the other hand, I have more than enough to support both her and me. Is it strictly that she has to have enough money to support her here or I can prove that I have enough to support her here?

I know my case is quite unique and not usually encountered :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( (I read that most spouses/significant others in this forum have jobs in their country and it is easy to prove they have money to support their time in Canada). However, I'd like to give it a try as 3 years wait time is absurd. I will appreciate if anyone can provide the inputs to my questions. If they want to give more suggestions/advices, I will be very glad to hear too.
I'm in the same boat dude. I sponsored my wife twice for TRV (before and after marriage) and both were refused because she was in the same situation as your wife (self-employed, no fixed assets, etc.). She's Thai. Now I'm sponsoring her for PR from the Singapore VO. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't have bothered with the TRVs. People from SE Asia are held to an impossible standard in Canada. Save your money and help pay for your next trip to visit her.

The good news though: If you read the posts in the spousal sponsorship forum re: Singapore, they're cracking out PR visa's very quickly. Some people who applied in May/2014 are getting Passport Requests. Check out the Singapore timeline in my signature below.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
etienbjel said:
People from SE Asia are held to an impossible standard in Canada. Save your money and help pay for your next trip to visit her.
I don't agree. The number of visitors from China is increasing year by year.

thanhlong1984

Dec 14, 2014
Just to let people know, my wife did get her TRV which has a valid period of 2 years ;D. So everything is possible. I guess it all comes down to preparation and LUCK as the person who accepted her application (she submitted her application in person) also advised her against applying since the chance of getting the visa was very low. However, we did as getting a rejection does not affect negatively on our sponsorship application (I am sponsoring my wife to come to Canada as PR).

A side note: I did have to provide a very detailed explanation about her employment situation in a separate letter, but it seems to pay off.