+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor financial information (esp. unemployed/student sponsors)

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Due to my recent situation I started wondering as to what kinds of things everyone included in their original app. regarding the financial situation of the sponsor? I have never heard of someone being questioned about funds like this at this stage of processing so I must have done something wrong.

My husband is a full time student but I have heard of others with student sponsors getting through no problem so I am unsure what the problem is with my ap. Please share your experience of what you included in your app. Anyone with an unemployed/student sponsor is particularly appreciated.

Thanks!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I quit my job to move home to look after my very sick, disabled parents, so when I filed the application I (the sponsor) did not have a job, had no income, and had no Option C. It has never been an issue. No requests for additional info were ever made, the visa officer did not mention it as a reason for refusal, and it was not an issue at the appeal.

gladiateur19

Aug 30, 2009
so canadianwoman,u got approved as sponsor at Mississauga,,,right?but sure you werent getting any financial help from the governement,and u had never been bankrupted?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
gladiateur19 said:
so canadianwoman,u got approved as sponsor at Mississauga,,,right?but sure you werent getting any financial help from the governement,and u had never been bankrupted?
Yes, I was approved as a sponsor. I was not on welfare even though I had no job, because my parents were paying for my expenses. I've never been bankrupt.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Thanks for the input, canadianwoman. This is what I have heard from other sources, too. I have seen other unemployed sponsors get through with no problems. I really wonder why they are singling us out?? Especially after already having sponsorship approved through CPC-M.

It doesn't matter because we have tons of savings and will show proof of that in the package we're mailing on Monday and I'm sure they'll approve us after that. But its just weird...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You don't need a job or an income to be approved as a sponsor, but the visa officer does want to know how you two plan to support yourselves once the applicant lands in Canada. If neither partner has a job, there is no income, and few savings, the visa officer will wonder what you are planning to do once you live together in Canada. It will look like you do not have any plans for your future together, and if you have no plans for a future together the visa officer will think the reason is because it is not a genuine relationship.

One element of a genuine relationship is that the couple has made plans for their life together in Canada. So you should show proof of these plans. So the visa officer sometimes wants to see evidence of income, jobs, plans for jobs, etc. It is not because a job and income are necessary to be approved as a sponsor - they're not necessary. It is because jobs and an income, or at least a plan of how to get them, is proof of a genuine relationship.

rezan

Star Member
Aug 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
17 june
first of all DO NOT PANIC !!!!
it is very normal that they ask for financial situation but it doesnt indicate that they are exploring your financial matters !!
I mean they shouldnt refuse any spousal sponsorship application due to financial matters.
if they do ask, they want to know and therefore assess other parts of your application more carefully and precise.
hope it helps

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Thanks for the input. That makes sense. I was just confused as to why I have not ever heard of people receiving this particular type of letter before. I assume that everyone else must have included more info than we did. Things will be cleared up soon :)

Although, I'm not entirely sure how we can show "proof" of plans. I mean, I've set aside a ton of money in order to support us between my moving and my getting a new job, my husband will be finishing school next spring and starting a good job.. I plan to support us until then. But besides having savings and showing them that he's in school, what else can we do? We have letters from family members offering to support us too. Think that will be enough?

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
giggles1985 said:
Thanks for the input. That makes sense. I was just confused as to why I have not ever heard of people receiving this particular type of letter before. I assume that everyone else must have included more info than we did. Things will be cleared up soon :)

Although, I'm not entirely sure how we can show "proof" of plans. I mean, I've set aside a ton of money in order to support us between my moving and my getting a new job, my husband will be finishing school next spring and starting a good job.. I plan to support us until then. But besides having savings and showing them that he's in school, what else can we do? We have letters from family members offering to support us too. Think that will be enough?
How about adding a copy of each of your resumes and a list of the types of jobs each of you will be seeking, websites you plan to post on (e.g. monster.ca, workopolis.com), a time frame for each of you and maybe some head hunters/employment agencies you plan to contact?

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
He didn't ask for any of that. He asked for a lot of specific things relating to the sponsor's financial situation (eg bank statements, leases, outstanding debt, employment), evidence of the applicant's willingness to support themselves, and the ability of family to help us out. He didn't mention anything about our future plans. We were planning to give him what he asked for.

What canadianwoman said makes sense but I'm not actually sure that's really what he's asking. ???

The only thing that I can logically figure is that he doubts my ability to support myself because I married my sponsor very shortly after finalizing my first divorce. He might assume my husbands were taking care of me which couldn't be farther from the truth :p (first husband was a Grade A mooch) so I included a lot of evidence to support the fact that I have been taking care of myself for years without help.

journeyman

Star Member
Sep 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
File Transfer...
25-05-2010
Med's Done....
19-02-2010
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2010
LANDED..........
12-10-2010
I'm kind of torn on that. If it was me I'd have trouble deciding to just give them what was asked for or go a little farther and provide extra information in case they have a "hidden agenda" and are also looking for information that Canadianwoman is suggesting............ :-\ ::). In the end go with your gut :p 8)

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
giggles1985 said:
He didn't ask for any of that. He asked for a lot of specific things relating to the sponsor's financial situation (eg bank statements, leases, outstanding debt, employment), evidence of the applicant's willingness to support themselves, and the ability of family to help us out. He didn't mention anything about our future plans. We were planning to give him what he asked for.

... so I included a lot of evidence to support the fact that I have been taking care of myself for years without help.
It seems that since the sponsor is not working, the VO is worried you're going to come to Canada and go on welfare. Send in what they asked for, and include evidence of job searches and your resume, and evidence of the applicant's finances as well. Clearly state (and offer whatever proof you can) that you will be looking for work when you get to Canada, that your husband will be graduating in the spring and will get a good job, and that you have the savings necessary to support yourselves with the help of your family. The proof: your and his resumes, proof of job searches or offers, letters offering to support you from family members, proof of both partner's savings and debt. What the VO wants is proof you and your husband can support yourselves somehow; asking you to prove this is asking about your plans for the future.

giggles1985

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo>Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
August 25, 2010
AOR Received.
July 22, 2010
File Transfer...
July 28, 2010
Med's Done....
Feb 03, 2010
Passport Req..
Sept 16, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 05, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 09, 2010
Thanks canadianwoman, I've gotten together everything that I can (everything mentioned on your list plus and minus a few things here and there) and should be mailing it out tomorrow. :)
Fingers crossed for a speedy reassessment!