+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsor dependent child

ruith

Mar 22, 2011
I am working here in Canada for a couple of years and going to file my Permanent Residency,of which I want to sponsor my child,she's a minor(14 years old)..she's living in the Philippines... with her father.of which we're not in good terms....my only question is...is there any possibility that her father could prevent her coming here in Canada? :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That depends on what the legal arrangements are in place with regard to your daughter.
Who has custody etc.

ruith

Mar 22, 2011
we dont have any legal arrangements...in that matter,I havent discuss to him yet...though he knows already that I am going to sponsor my daughter...but he thinks..him also...in this case,if he reacts,that he is not included in my sponsorship...does he has the option to stop my daughter coming to Canada..

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC will want to see official custody arrangements, and requires that the other parent give permission, unless the parent in Canada has sole custody and there are no visitation rights. Since your husband is taking care of the child, he will have to give you permission to take her to Canada.

ruith

Mar 22, 2011
thnx....I heard from other friends as well that it needs permission from the father....(though,I am the one supporting my daugther financially,that include her father as well...I know it wouldnt count because I am here in Canada).....Permission...means is he going to sign papers from Canadian Immigration?...
Please...need follow-up,or anything that could help me,though my daughter really wants not only to stay here in Canada but to be with me...
and Im going to file my permanent residency in a couple of months.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
You need him to give you full legal custody of her before sponsorship starts. There is no way you can get her to Canada without it. CIC are very strict on this.