+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor address change needed? Visting India for a few months

Vivendi

Mar 25, 2017
Hello everyone. So I currently live in Canada and am in the process of sponsoring my wife who is in India ( application has been sent to Delhi office a couple weeks ago). I am planning to travel to India next week and stay there for 2-3 months, although length of stay may be shorter if wife gets her visa while I'm there.

I was wondering if I needed to change my Canadian address to where I'll be staying in India. I wasn't sure since I'm only visiting and Canada is still my primary residence. I didn't see any information about this on the CIC website and calling them doesn't work, all lines are busy... Hoping someone here can answer my question, any help will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I'll try again to get through to someone on the toll free line....

Also, I assume I'll need to update my wife's address as well since she is currently living with her parents but when I get to India, she will come live at my place. But I was planning to do that in India by contacting the Delhi office.

Thanks for your help!

Forte

Nov 14, 2016
Are you a Canadian citizen or PR? I believe PRs aren't allowed to take extended trips abroad during the spousal sponsorship process.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello everyone. So I currently live in Canada and am in the process of sponsoring my wife who is in India ( application has been sent to Delhi office a couple weeks ago). I am planning to travel to India next week and stay there for 2-3 months, although length of stay may be shorter if wife gets her visa while I'm there.

I was wondering if I needed to change my Canadian address to where I'll be staying in India. I wasn't sure since I'm only visiting and Canada is still my primary residence. I didn't see any information about this on the CIC website and calling them doesn't work, all lines are busy... Hoping someone here can answer my question, any help will be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile I'll try again to get through to someone on the toll free line....

Also, I assume I'll need to update my wife's address as well since she is currently living with her parents but when I get to India, she will come live at my place. But I was planning to do that in India by contacting the Delhi office.

Thanks for your help!
You cannot sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside of Canada. Not sure what your status is.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks for your help!
Hi

Yes, you should both update your addresses. Note that as you plan to remain outside of Canada for several months, it is very possible that IRCC will request proof of your intention to return when your wife's app is approved.

You don't contact the ND office. Just send a Webform.

Vivendi

Mar 25, 2017
Hi guys. First of all, thanks for the responses and sorry for my late response :). Actually I am a Canadian citizen (since 2005) so I figured it would be fine if I'm traveling abroad for a few months. I did browse the immigration website and find the webform to change my address but wasn't sure if I needed to do it since I might only be outside Canada for less than two months and then I'd have to change it back to my original address again. But I will take the precaution of updating my address the day I leave Canada.

Thanks again for your help! Greatly appreciated