+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Splitting Applications

gehaif

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Good morning everyone,
Both my wife and my daughter submitted their applications in October 2022. Since then nothing marked completed other than the Test and Background check.

Now, I am having an emergency I need to travel overseas and need to get my daughter with me during this trip, but I can't because her home passport is expired and we don't have passport services in the embassy. My question is, can I request splitting my daughter's application from my wife and to be processed separately?

Thank you,

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Is your daughter a minor? Or was she at the moment she applied?
I'm asking this because if your wife and daughter applied as a family, it's usually done without the physical presence requirement for the minor, whose citizenship claims is simply linked to the parent becoming Canadian and nothing more...
If that's the case, it's not doable since her mother becoming a citizen is a requirement for your daughter. You may want in that situation to contact IRCC about it if you are yourself a citizen, in which case maybe she can get the citizenship through you instead, but that's not something I've seen reported in the forum.
If she's a major, or her application included her physical presence calculation, you can ask IRCC, but please note that even if they split the applications, there's no guarantee she gets her citizenship by the time you need to travel. Needing to leave the country isn't ground for an urgent grant of citizenship unless you're travelling for a serious illness or death in your family : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

gehaif

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Is your daughter a minor? Or was she at the moment she applied?
I'm asking this because if your wife and daughter applied as a family, it's usually done without the physical presence requirement for the minor, whose citizenship claims is simply linked to the parent becoming Canadian and nothing more...
If that's the case, it's not doable since her mother becoming a citizen is a requirement for your daughter. You may want in that situation to contact IRCC about it if you are yourself a citizen, in which case maybe she can get the citizenship through you instead, but that's not something I've seen reported in the forum.
If she's a major, or her application included her physical presence calculation, you can ask IRCC, but please note that even if they split the applications, there's no guarantee she gets her citizenship by the time you need to travel. Needing to leave the country isn't ground for an urgent grant of citizenship unless you're travelling for a serious illness or death in your family : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html
Well, my daughter she is a minor and applied along with my wife as a family.

As you said, there is no guarantee that they will process the application, even incase of urgent process. My wife submitted two urgent request process and both not accepted, the first was for serious surgery for her mom supported by the hospital documents and the second was her mom' death certificate.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
So sorry for your mother-in-law's death. May she rest in peace.
Hoping both your daughter and wife get some good news from IRCC soon.

Reactions: gehaif