+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP refused...already started with the online class

mhile

Feb 28, 2019
Hi! Anyone here who has already started with their online class without the AIP but now got refused? I feel so depressed right now. I have started with my online class last September 1st. We are now on our midterms. This morning, I received the refusal letter. I don't know what to do now :(

Sophie2021

Sep 14, 2020
Hi! Anyone here who has already started with their online class without the AIP but now got refused? I feel so depressed right now. I have started with my online class last September 1st. We are now on our midterms. This morning, I received the refusal letter. I don't know what to do now :(
You Should refer to your college/University and ask them for further advice.
Many institutions will have full refund if student permit is rejected. And you should order GCMS for the detailed reasons for refusal.

mhile

Feb 28, 2019
Actually, I’m already here in Canada. Came here as a tourist and decided to apply for my student permit. I'm studying now at Bow Valley College. During the orientation, questions were raised regarding starting without a study permit. They advised starting while waiting. I'm not sure if I could refund now or defer for the next intake. If I will reapply now, not sure if I could reapply using the same intake.

Last edited:
Reactions: marmik1617

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
You should not start studying until you have a study permit approved. I recommend this not only for legal reasons but also for your psychological state. Continuing your studies with the thought of having your permit refused is not worth it.

• Sad
Reactions: Ppun and Khanasma

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Actually, I’m already here in Canada. Came here as a tourist and decided to apply for my student permit. I'm studying now at Bow Valley College. During the orientation, questions were raised regarding starting without a study permit. They advised starting while waiting. I'm not sure if I could refund now or defer for the next intake. If I will reapply now, not sure if I could reapply using the same intake.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you still can't study in Canada without a study permit. You can only start your program without a permit from abroad.

Reactions: jigzyy

Khanasma

Sep 20, 2020
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you still can't study in Canada without a study permit. You can only start your program without a permit from abroad.
Someone wrote in another thread that he's being on tourist visa in canada started classes a month ago and now got rejected.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Correct from my understanding. OP took a big liberty by studying under visitor status.

Come to think of it, were they even eligible to apply for a study permit as a visitor?
Only some people can apply for a study permit from inside Canada. Do any of the situations below describe you or the person you’re applying for?

You’re currently in Canada and one of these applies:
  • you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parent has a valid study or work permit
  • you’re a minor child in primary or secondary school
  • you’re an exchange student or visiting student
  • you completed a short-term course or study program required to be accepted at a DLI
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit (TRP) valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re being sponsored to immigrate and you already applied for permanent residence (if you’re eligible)
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child are subject to an unenforceable removal order
  • you’re the spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of:
    • an athlete on a team based in Canada
    • a member of the media
    • a member of the clergy
    • military personnel on duty in Canada or
    • an accredited foreign representative

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Come to think of it, were they even eligible to apply for a study permit as a visitor?
Under normal circumstances, no. Applying from within Canada as a visitor is normally an automatic refusal. However, given we are in Covid times and many flights are unavailable, this might have changed. I'm not sure though, haven't seen a single case where a visitor visa was approved to study visa.