+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP: what to fill for "original purpose for coming to canada"?

muzammilnxs

Aug 5, 2018
I recently graduated from my masters program in Canada. I got married just before my last term in India and immediately applied for spousal open work permit and got it approved. But unfortunately When she came into canada, I had completed all my requirements for the degree and not a full time student anymore(actually just 10 days from the last day of the term). So, they didn't provide her the open work permit at the POE(Port of Entry), but gave a visitor record(VR) instead valid till the end of my study permit.
After 3 months, I got my PGWP(Post graduate work permit) approved valid for three years. Based on this, I plan to apply for SOWP for my wife. While filling the application, I am not sure what to fill for the field "The original purpose for coming to canada"?
She was approved for SOWP. So, in this case the original intent was to work. But they gave her a Visitor Record(VR). Which means she came for family visit.
What should I fill for this field? work or family visit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can't apply for an SOWP until you get a full-time job in NOC 0, A and B and you have proof of 3 pay stubs. She only got a TRV because your study permit was coming to an end and it didn't make sense to award her a SOWP for a couple of months only for her to have to stop working before you got your PGWP and a job and 3 pay stubs and have to reapply for her SOWP again. The purpose of her visit was to live with her husband.

Reactions: muzammilnxs

muzammilnxs

Aug 5, 2018
@canuck78 I am well aware of the fact that i need a Noc 0,A or B job and 3 pay stubs to apply for her Sowp. I’ve already got a couple of pay stubs and waiting for the third one.
But my doubt was about the field in the application form, “The original purpose of coming to canada”. There are only standard options like “Study/work/family visit”. So what would be the best option to choose for my spouse’s case?

Chandurao

Jul 24, 2018
@muzammilnxs
@canuck78 I am well aware of the fact that i need a Noc 0,A or B job and 3 pay stubs to apply for her Sowp. I’ve already got a couple of pay stubs and waiting for the third one.
But my doubt was about the field in the application form, “The original purpose of coming to canada”. There are only standard options like “Study/work/family visit”. So what would be the best option to choose for my spouse’s case?
Can help me I have the same question now. what you have filled in "The original purpose for coming to canada"

iamtoni22

Jun 6, 2018
You can select OTHERS and then, to live with my husband