+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP at Point of Entry

Jul 3, 2024
Hi all I’m in desperate need of some answers.
My spouse sponsored me for PR while I was in Canada on PGWP however while waiting for my AOR my PGWP expired. I’m currently employed however my company has put me on leave. My question is, once I receive an AOR for my PR application would I be able to leave Canada with my spouse and apply for my SOWP at the port of entry. I have a valid visitors visa.
Apologies for the long post, and thank you to anyone that’s able to help.

Jul 3, 2024
Just to be clear, I’m currently NOT working as I don’t have work authorisation. I’m on an extended leave from my employer until I can get work authorisation again.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My spouse sponsored me for PR while I was in Canada on PGWP however while waiting for my AOR my PGWP expired. I’m currently employed however my company has put me on leave. My question is, once I receive an AOR for my PR application would I be able to leave Canada with my spouse and apply for my SOWP at the port of entry. I have a valid visitors visa.
My understanding is that no, they do not issue the OWP for spousal apps at border, only inside the country. And I see little prospect for them changing this, they recently made a thing of advising that some other type of work permit would not be done at border.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No, not possible. They will not issue the OWP at the border. You have to submit the application within Canada and wait for it to be approved.