Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
So I sent in my son's application for proof of Canadian citizenship back in December 2011. The officer at the consulate told me that if I get a phone call in a week or so, there's a problem...if not...I'm good to go...aside from the long wait!!! No phone call...so we're good to go.

But...I am sending my wife's PR application in April, well before we expect to receive my son's citizenship card.

So...will this cause a delay? Will CIC insist that I wait until I have his documentation before proceeding with the application? Will they ask me to put him down as a dependent, even though he is automatically a Canadian citizen..and is simply waiting for his citizenship card? I am sending in the offical receipt I got from the consulate and a notarized copy of his birth certificate...

Please help if you can...

Thanks,
FS

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Fencesitter said:
So I sent in my son's application for proof of Canadian citizenship back in December 2011. The officer at the consulate told me that if I get a phone call in a week or so, there's a problem...if not...I'm good to go...aside from the long wait!!! No phone call...so we're good to go.

But...I am sending my wife's PR application in April, well before we expect to receive my son's citizenship card.

So...will this cause a delay? Will CIC insist that I wait until I have his documentation before proceeding with the application? Will they ask me to put him down as a dependent, even though he is automatically a Canadian citizen..and is simply waiting for his citizenship card? I am sending in the offical receipt I got from the consulate and a notarized copy of his birth certificate...

Thanks,
FS
1. If you applied for proof of citizenship for the child and he is less than 2 years old, then you can apply for a limited validity passport for him at the Visa office. If he is older than 2, then you apply for a facilitation visa for him. (F-1) at the visa office. He is not included on the application.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
When I called the consulate, they told me that I would have to show proof of travel. I do not have any proof, and even though I explained what it was for (PR visa application), they said that I would need to show an airline ticket.

Is it a must that I prove my son is Canadian to CIC to avoid delays or problems?

Thanks,
FS

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
I just reviewed the various forms and nowhere does it ask to provide my son's ID number. I wrote down that he is a Canadian citizen by way of birth right, but that we are waiting for his citizenship card to arrive. I included a copy of the official receipt from the Consulate, and also an explanation that they would not issue a passport until he could provide some form of proof of citizenship, and also that they required a flight ticket...it seems so stupid...he's Canadian and recognized as such by the Canadian government, yet it takes 12 months to get his citizenship card, and during that time the Consulate will not issue a passport!!!

Seriously, will CIC delay our application because of this and want me to resubmit showing my son as our dependent until we can show proof of citizenship? Anyone else been in this situation??

Thanks,
FS

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fencesitter said:
I just reviewed the various forms and nowhere does it ask to provide my son's ID number. I wrote down that he is a Canadian citizen by way of birth right, but that we are waiting for his citizenship card to arrive. I included a copy of the official receipt from the Consulate, and also an explanation that they would not issue a passport until he could provide some form of proof of citizenship, and also that they required a flight ticket...it seems so stupid...he's Canadian and recognized as such by the Canadian government, yet it takes 12 months to get his citizenship card, and during that time the Consulate will not issue a passport!!!

Seriously, will CIC delay our application because of this and want me to resubmit showing my son as our dependent until we can show proof of citizenship? Anyone else been in this situation??

Thanks,
FS
There won't be a delay. Submit your son's birth certificate showing both of your names (you and your spouse). They can deduce from that that one of you is a Canadian citizen using your passports, birth certificates, etc. at the time of his birth.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rjessome said:
There won't be a delay. Submit your son's birth certificate showing both of your names (you and your spouse). They can deduce from that that one of you is a Canadian citizen using your passports, birth certificates, etc. at the time of his birth.

It would appear that the Visa Office is now adhering strictly to the OP that the travel must be urgent, before a limited validity passport or F-1 Visa will be issued. So if the OPs want the passport for children under 2 or if over 2 a F-1 visa, they are probably going to have show a plane ticket. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Current policy and procedures

At present, and as outlined in section 20 of OP 11, facilitation (F-1) visas are used in the instances where new, replacement or emergency passports cannot be issued in a sufficiently timely fashion and where the travel is urgent, for the following persons:

Canadians in distress (lost/stolen documents);
dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time;
dual nationals who did not obtain a Canadian passport prior to leaving Canada; and
children born in Canada to foreign nationals who have returned to their country and do not wish to ‘claim’ the citizenship automatically granted to Canadian born children.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

It would appear that the Visa Office is now adhering strictly to the OP that the travel must be urgent, before a limited validity passport or F-1 Visa will be issued. So if the OPs want the passport for children under 2 or if over 2 a F-1 visa, they are probably going to have show a plane ticket. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Current policy and procedures

At present, and as outlined in section 20 of OP 11, facilitation (F-1) visas are used in the instances where new, replacement or emergency passports cannot be issued in a sufficiently timely fashion and where the travel is urgent, for the following persons:

Canadians in distress (lost/stolen documents);
dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time;
dual nationals who did not obtain a Canadian passport prior to leaving Canada; and
children born in Canada to foreign nationals who have returned to their country and do not wish to ‘claim' the citizenship automatically granted to Canadian born children.
Ah geez. But it shouldn't delay his application to sponsor the wife. He can file with the birth certificates of himself, the spouse and children to show parentage and write a short letter explaining citizenship of the kids. Shouldn't be a problem assuming the sponsor isn't a citizen by decent. Yep, travel is another issue apparently but if he plans to travel, he can buy the tickets and get the passports for the kids.

eval28

Sep 27, 2011
Fencesitter said:

iThankFS

you should be ok if you include the official receipts from the canadian consulate. i was in the same situation as you and when i sent in my application to sponsor my husband i just included the receipts . i was approved as a sponsor and everything seems to be going smoothly so far! good luck!