+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Softlanding on Weekend

mamit1

Aug 3, 2016
Hi,

I have recently received my passport and preparing for a soft-landing to apply for my PR and Sin number. I live very close to the border (in the US) and was planning of driving across the Rainbow bridge on a Saturday completing my paperwork and driving back on Sunday. I plan to immigrate permanently after 6-10 months.

I have a few questions and will really appreciate some help and guidance.

1) If I drive on a Saturday will I be able to do all the needed paperwork or are services closed on the weekend? will I also be able to apply for a SIN number at the border?
2) Since I plan on immigrating after 6-10 months do I need to have any list of items at this point? I am hoping to provide that list in the future once the date is more clear. Is there a more official term to be used in such case when at the border.
3) Is there a list of documentation that I will need to take with me for softlanding?
4) Other than PR card and SIN number should I be looking at applying any other documents while there.

Thanks
Matt

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
1. You can certainly complete your landing on a weekend. I will recommend Peace bridge over Rainbow bridge. Service Canada offices will be closed on weekend, so you will not be able to apply for SIN. But there is no urgency to get that. You can get it later whenever you actually move also.
2. It is okay if you don't provide a list.
3. No. Make sure you have a Canadian address for PR card.
4. No.

mamit1

Aug 3, 2016
1. You can certainly complete your landing on a weekend. I will recommend Peace bridge over Rainbow bridge. Service Canada offices will be closed on weekend, so you will not be able to apply for SIN. But there is no urgency to get that. You can get it later whenever you actually move also.
2. It is okay if you don't provide a list.
3. No. Make sure you have a Canadian address for PR card.
4. No.
thanks for your reply. I plan to start applying for jobs and thought Sin number will be needed for that process. If i do not provide a list at this time it will mean I can give it later when I am getting ready to move?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You don't need SIN to apply for jobs, only to start working. Yes, you can provide the list whenever you actually move.

mnsan81

Feb 28, 2021
Hi All,

Please help me on below questions : I am planning to cross Peace Bridge in 3rd week of May 2021.

1. PCR test is required for soft landing or come back on same day to USA?
2. Quarantine plan is required if i plan to return on same day?
3. PCR test is required while coming back from canada to usa by land in peace bridge?
4. can i travel on Saturday for COPR verification?
4. document checklist for COPR verification by land travel

Thanks in advance!
Thanks.