+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft-landing successfully done on March 13- Rainbow Bridge- Niagara Falls

BJSING

Oct 21, 2020
LANDED..........
03-13-2022
We successfully did our soft landing in Canada on March 13 thru the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. When we were at the CBSA crossing:
Officer: what is the purpose of your visit?
Me: we are here for the completion of our PR process and here are my documents(COPR and passports)
Officer: Did you fill out the ArriveCAN ?
Me: yes
O: Do you have RT-PCR results?
Me: yes(gave him the RT-PCR results)
O: is this car in your name?
Me: it’s in my wife’s name
He wrote up a yellow slip and instructed us to park the car under the canopy of CBSA and an officer will come to assist us.
After waiting for 2-3 minutes, an officer walked up to us.
O2: Did you commit a crime or have a case open in the country you are coming from?
Me: No
O2: as you are entering as a special skill worker, do you have a job offer in Canada or funds to show $22k in your account?
Me: I have a job offer letter from the USA and the last 3 paystubs.
O2: she said that will be fine and took the documents and went inside the building and came back after a few minutes.
O2: please sign the COPR documents.
I signed mine and I could sign for my daughter and My wife signed for hers.
The officer asked me to go inside the building and finish the process of goods to follow(GTF) and told me to take my Car’s title.
When I was inside the CBSA building:-
O3: please fill out this goods to follow list and bring it back inside and can I have your car's title?
Me: yes. But I don’t want to import it now as I still need to wind up things in the US before moving permanently to Canada.
O3: Ok
Me: Here is the goods to follow list.
The Officer verified the list with me and asked me if I know the total cost of the goods declared. I said "No". He added the whole amount and wrote the final sum. I confirmed with him that if I sell my car in the US and bring a new car, it will be taxable as it is not a part of the GTF list.
I gave my friend's address where the goods would be delivered when I arrive, and that is the same address where the PR card would be delivered. The Officer said it would take about 4-6 months to get the PR Card and I would have to be there to sign it.
I got my SIN number from Service Canada near the Niagara Falls border itself while returning on Mar 15, as it only had around 10 people ahead of me. All other Service Canada I visited on Mar 14 in Brampton or Toronto, had at least 40-50 people(maybe because of the war there were refugees + the line is also meant for employment cards, pension, Passport, etc.) ahead of me. This was around 11-1 pm. An appointment is a better option as it eliminates the frustrating wait time. Canada has been strict about Covid restrictions and therefore be sure to book the appointment at least 2 days in advance as it cant be booked the same day.

US Side on March 15th:
At the border counter.
Me: God Afternoon Officer. How are you doing?
CBP Officer1: Good. What was your purpose of travel to Canada?
Me: PR process completion.
CBP O1: How long were you there?
Me: 2 days
CBP O1: May I have your documents?
Me: Yes. Here is my passport, I-20; my wife's passport.
CBP O1: Just give me all your documents I will figure it out(shocking for me!).
Me: Sure(Gave him my old+new passport(which has no stamping) and I-20, my wife's old+new Passport(which has no stamping) and I-797, my daughter's US passport ID)
CBP O1: Do you have any goods to declare from Canada.
CBP O1: Can you roll down the windows so that I can see everyone in the car.
Me: Sure.
CBP O1: Is it the first time your wife is entering on H1.
Me: Yes
CBP O1: Please park your car over there(pointed to the inspection area parking) and go inside an officer will assist you further
Me: Ok

After we went inside:- We were called in 5 minutes.
CBP O2: Are you entering with this(showed my I20 in his hand)
CBP O2: How long were you in Canada?
CBP O2: Ok Please look at the camera for a photo and then we will take your fingerprints.
Me: Sure
CBP O2: Pay $6 on Counter 1(The receipt mentioned about I-94 departure/arrival)
My wife went thru the same process, no questions asked or fees taken from her.
Then we were given our documents and passport and were allowed to go.

The entire process starting from officer 1-2 inside took about 15-20 minutes.

Good Luck all!

Reactions: Tubsmagee

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
address where the PR card would be delivered. The Officer said it would take about 4-6 months to get the PR Card and I would have to be there to sign it.
Can also take less than all that time; we got ours about 30-45 days after (possibly different batches, not all at once).

The information about 'be there to sign it' is just wrong, comes by regular mail.

I got my SIN number from Service Canada near the Niagara Falls border itself while returning on Mar 15, as it only had around 10 people ahead of me. All other Service Canada I visited on Mar 14 in Brampton or Toronto, had at least 40-50 people(maybe because of the war there were refugees + the line is also meant for employment cards, pension, Passport, etc.) ahead of me.
For many/most: you can also apply for SIN online or by post. Online easier and quicker of course. For us only took a few weeks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We successfully did our soft landing in Canada on March 13 thru the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls. When we were at the CBSA crossing:
Officer: what is the purpose of your visit?
Me: we are here for the completion of our PR process and here are my documents(COPR and passports)
Officer: Did you fill out the ArriveCAN ?
Me: yes
O: Do you have RT-PCR results?
Me: yes(gave him the RT-PCR results)
O: is this car in your name?
Me: it’s in my wife’s name
He wrote up a yellow slip and instructed us to park the car under the canopy of CBSA and an officer will come to assist us.
After waiting for 2-3 minutes, an officer walked up to us.
O2: Did you commit a crime or have a case open in the country you are coming from?
O2: as you are entering as a special skill worker, do you have a job offer in Canada or funds to show $22k in your account?
Me: I have a job offer letter from the USA and the last 3 paystubs.
O2: she said that will be fine and took the documents and went inside the building and came back after a few minutes.
O2: please sign the COPR documents.
I signed mine and I could sign for my daughter and My wife signed for hers.
The officer asked me to go inside the building and finish the process of goods to follow(GTF) and told me to take my Car’s title.
When I was inside the CBSA building:-
O3: please fill out this goods to follow list and bring it back inside and can I have your car's title?
Me: yes. But I don’t want to import it now as I still need to wind up things in the US before moving permanently to Canada.
O3: Ok
Me: Here is the goods to follow list.
The Officer verified the list with me and asked me if I know the total cost of the goods declared. I said "No". He added the whole amount and wrote the final sum. I confirmed with him that if I sell my car in the US and bring a new car, it will be taxable as it is not a part of the GTF list.
I gave my friend's address where the goods would be delivered when I arrive, and that is the same address where the PR card would be delivered. The Officer said it would take about 4-6 months to get the PR Card and I would have to be there to sign it.
I got my SIN number from Service Canada near the Niagara Falls border itself while returning on Mar 15, as it only had around 10 people ahead of me. All other Service Canada I visited on Mar 14 in Brampton or Toronto, had at least 40-50 people(maybe because of the war there were refugees + the line is also meant for employment cards, pension, Passport, etc.) ahead of me. This was around 11-1 pm. An appointment is a better option as it eliminates the frustrating wait time. Canada has been strict about Covid restrictions and therefore be sure to book the appointment at least 2 days in advance as it cant be booked the same day.

US Side on March 15th:
At the border counter.
Me: God Afternoon Officer. How are you doing?
CBP Officer1: Good. What was your purpose of travel to Canada?
Me: PR process completion.
CBP O1: How long were you there?
CBP O1: May I have your documents?
Me: Yes. Here is my passport, I-20; my wife's passport.
CBP O1: Just give me all your documents I will figure it out(shocking for me!).
Me: Sure(Gave him my old+new passport(which has no stamping) and I-20, my wife's old+new Passport(which has no stamping) and I-797, my daughter's US passport ID)
CBP O1: Do you have any goods to declare from Canada.
CBP O1: Can you roll down the windows so that I can see everyone in the car.
Me: Sure.
CBP O1: Is it the first time your wife is entering on H1.
CBP O1: Please park your car over there(pointed to the inspection area parking) and go inside an officer will assist you further
Me: Ok

After we went inside:- We were called in 5 minutes.
CBP O2: Are you entering with this(showed my I20 in his hand)
CBP O2: How long were you in Canada?
CBP O2: Ok Please look at the camera for a photo and then we will take your fingerprints.
Me: Sure
CBP O2: Pay $6 on Counter 1(The receipt mentioned about I-94 departure/arrival)
My wife went thru the same process, no questions asked or fees taken from her.
Then we were given our documents and passport and were allowed to go.

The entire process starting from officer 1-2 inside took about 15-20 minutes.

Good Luck all!
For proof of savings a job offer and pay stubs are usually not enough. You need to bring a bank statement. You got lucky but you could have been asked to prove that you had the settlement funds.

BJSING

Oct 21, 2020
LANDED..........
03-13-2022
Can also take less than all that time; we got ours about 30-45 days after (possibly different batches, not all at once).

The information about 'be there to sign it' is just wrong, comes by regular mail.
- I agree... he was trying to sound like.... u need to sign it in person because its urs otherwise they will send it back and u will have to talk to CIC to get it... for which I just nodded as I know he was trying to intimidate me and make sure I do hard landing before that!

For many/most: you can also apply for SIN online or by post. Online easier and quicker of course. For us only took a few weeks.

Reactions: armoured

poporopos

Sep 22, 2021
Hi, slightly unrelated but what is this thing about your wife having to pay $6 at the US border? I'm in Canada with my wife who is on a B1/B2 visa for the US. She flew to Canada with me but, as I am American, we may re-enter the US at some point driving. She has no I-94 that is paper; it is all electronic. She flew into the US in December and flew to Canada in January on a Canadian TRV but it is not really considered a visit out of the US since I am in the process of sponsoring her in Canada.

BJSING

Oct 21, 2020
LANDED..........
03-13-2022
Hi, slightly unrelated but what is this thing about your wife having to pay $6 at the US border? I'm in Canada with my wife who is on a B1/B2 visa for the US. She flew to Canada with me but, as I am American, we may re-enter the US at some point driving. She has no I-94 that is paper; it is all electronic. She flew into the US in December and flew to Canada in January on a Canadian TRV but it is not really considered a visit out of the US since I am in the process of sponsoring her in Canada.
My wife was not charged $6, I was. On the receipt, it mentioned 'I-94 Departure/Arrival'. I guess as I was entering on F1 visa, there must be some SEVIS related fees.