+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing + quarantine

Pasc92

Mar 20, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a question about soft landing. Is it possible to do a soft landing over Christmas to be with my wife, stay there for the 15 days to quarantine with her, and then leave again to warp up my affairs in my home country?

I find those instructions on the IRCC Website quite confusing.

I know people with COPR are supposed to settle permanently without moving back temporarily. But I am also allowed to visit my wife (I already did it over the Summer for 2 Months with no problems).
So, I could go and see her and also conveniently go through the landing procedure.

I would appreciate some input.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I have a question about soft landing. Is it possible to do a soft landing over Christmas to be with my wife, stay there for the 15 days to quarantine with her, and then leave again to warp up my affairs in my home country?

I know people with COPR are supposed to settle permanently without moving back temporarily. But I am also allowed to visit my wife (I already did it over the Summer for 2 Months with no problems).
So, I could go and see her and also conveniently go through the landing procedure.

I warn that what I'm writing below is not official and I cannot attest to its accuracy.

-As I understand, the restrictions on COPRs issued before/after March 18 do NOT apply to immediate family members.
-Government clearly does NOT want people to travel much - hence the language (as you write confusing and ambiguous) about 'arriving to settle permanently.'
-Another result of this is that they are effectively telling COPR holders that have expired (due to covid) that they can get 'approved' travel/entry at a later date (although there is also less clarity on this point than most would want) by writing to them with specific travel dates.
-BUT: there is no mechanism to stop people from leaving or coming back once PR, especially immediate family members. (And as you note, those with TRVs / ETAs can arrive and leave - theoretically multiple times).
-*Important caveat: subject of course to following the quarantine / isolation restrictions and having a plan, etc. They can and will enforce these rules.

The upshot: they do NOT want people to do soft landings. But you should be able to do so - although of course you should not be mentioning soft landing or pending plans to return. (It is possible they would complicate things if they decided you were not arriving 'permanently' - but again, not clear on what basis, exactly).

None of this can be called a recommendation, just a description of what I understand the rules to be. Different IRCC and CBSA officers/personnel may have different understanding of what rules or restrictions are in force.

There is one big hole in this - to return later to Canada, you'll need your PR card, and who knows how long that will take. (And you'll need to get it delivered to you somehow abroad).

And if for some reason you can't get the PR card, you'd have to apply for a PRTD. Now, I do not know of any rule or mechanism for them to deny a PRTD card because you didn't stay 'permanently'; but who knows what problems may arise.

This is unfortunately not clear and as you can tell, far from a recommendation. (I was trying to clarify the rules for my own purposes...) They don't want people to travel much or at all in covid, so here we are with these somwhat-contradictory 'guidelines.'

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello everyone,

If you go into quarantine for the mandatory 14 days then you either have to do separately from your wife or she will also need to quarantine else what would be the point you in isolation but her going out and about.

Tend to agree with the previous post that apart from the strictly enforced quarantine , subject to massive fine or even imprisonment if not followed , that post quarantine there seems to be no restriction or published penalty for leaving Canada.

If you have to apply for a PRTD then it will be obvious you soft landed so preferable for when you return to have a PR card .

Tend to think the no soft landing guideline is there to discourage people from arriving for a couple days, interacting with the general population, potentially spreading the virus and then leaving the country away from any COVID controls in place by the Canadian government. Maybe meeting the definition of a super spreader through their travel without any quarantine.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured