+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft Landing (EE-FSW) by road at International Falls, MN / Fort Frances, ON border

Jan 3, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
28-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-02-2020
Hi,

We live in Minnesota and recently completed our soft landing by car at the International Falls, Minnesota - Fort Frances, Ontario border. The experience was very smooth/polite and the information/suggestions on this forum were a godsend for preparing for the trip. The main points are discussed here but I am happy to answer any other questions.

Entry into Canada (Sunday Afternoon):
1. Just when we enter, the officer at the gate asked the purpose of the visit: We told them that we are here to complete our PR process. He asked if we are returning after this immediately or staying permanently. We told truthfully that we will stay a day and go back to the US tomorrow. We were then asked to park the car and go into the border post building.
2. Total process inside took about 1 hour. Documents asked - Only Passport, CoPR and ArriveCAN receipt. They took fingerprints and asked us to sign the CoPR documents.
3. They asked if we are moving permanently now or will be moving later. We told them we are only here temporarily but will be moving permanently next year when Job/Stay etc is sorted.
4. We were not asked for a Goods list or any Proof of Funds.
5. They asked us for the address in US and the address in Canada. At the end of the process, they told us that the PR card will be shipped to the Canada Address.
6. I drove a rental car because I had read some folks had issues driving their personal car. They did not ask about the car at all and did not bother to check the rental documents.
7. We tried to also get the SIN number from the local Service Canada office but it was closed due to some holiday. It's preferable to also do that while you are in Canada for Soft Landing. It's usually done on the spot and doesn't require address proof if you do in person.
8. We were told that we can enter Canada by road using the signed CoPR, but can't fly into Canada until we have the PR card or apply for a PRTD.

Rentering back into the US (1 day later)
1. The US officer asked why we were in Canada and that too only for one day. We answered truthfully that we came to complete the PR process.
2. We were asked where we live in the US and if we are taking anything back from Canada.
3. The office also asked why we took a rental car and not personal car.
4. Took 5-10 mins before they let us enter. No stamp was marked on the passport.

Reactions: RSub

theramved

Nov 2, 2022
Hello abhishek.sriv87, congrats!!
I'm in a similar boat with my COPR expiring Nov 17th. I plan on doing a soft landing by car at the International Falls, Minnesota - Fort Frances, Ontario border over the weekend of Nov 12th.
My h1b is stamped on my passport until 2024, but my employer applied for an amendment and it is still pending USCIS.
Just wanted to check - how your immigration at the USA went through?

Jan 3, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
28-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-02-2020
US rentry was quick. They asked for i797 approval notice and h1b stamp on the passport and rental car papers

Reactions: theramved