Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Hi,
Mt visa and copr is expiring may 4th. I want to know has anyone from the forum recently immigrated to Canada during the current covid 19 pandemic than please share your experience. I am thinking to do soft landing and than come back with pr card because I think this problem will prolong
If you read what my last post you will see that a soft landing right now is fraught with difficulties. The only feasible way it might work out would be if you come for a reasonable period of more than 14 days ( to allow for self isolation) and then returned home. It may be worth emailing IRCC and asking them for an extension. It will be interesting to see if they simply extend the copr by the length of the shutdown or whether they will require new meds / police which would in my opinion create unjust delays and expense for COPR holder caught up in the current crises.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi,
Mt visa and copr is expiring may 4th. I want to know has anyone from the forum recently immigrated to Canada during the current covid 19 pandemic than please share your experience. I am thinking to do soft landing and than come back with pr card because I think this problem will prolong
Did you even bother to read the post before yours? CBSA does not consider soft landings as essential travel. Submit a web form to IRCC and explain the delay due to travel bans....they will extend the date.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Hi,

I have my flight on the 22nd of May and I had a planned to do the soft landing. I understand, due to ongoing situations. things aren't favourable for doing a soft landing. My CoPR expires on the 26th of June. I'm planning to postpone my travel date on 31st of July provided I get an extension for the Visa. Now my question is as follows:

1. How likely I would be getting an extension?
2. What is the best way to explain in the Webform?
3. Which option to choose in the Webform field "Type of application/enquiry (Required)"

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
Hi,

I have my flight on the 22nd of May and I had a planned to do the soft landing. I understand, due to ongoing situations. things aren't favourable for doing a soft landing. My CoPR expires on the 26th of June. I'm planning to postpone my travel date on 31st of July provided I get an extension for the Visa. Now my question is as follows:

3. Which option to choose in the Webform field "Type of application/enquiry (Required)"
Just say that due to Corvid19 you will be unable to travel before your COPR expiration date. Give them the date of your new travel plans and ask them if they can kindly extend your COPR till then. They are well aware of the situation so I would expect a positive outcome. Please let us know how you get on.

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Hey @Beltex

Thanks for your swift response. I'm planning to apply for an extension by 1st week of May and I shall post my experience & IRCC response in the forum.

Apr 11, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I’m in a similar position as many others on the forum. My CoPR expires on May 16 and unfortunately it doesn’t look like the pandemic is ending any time soon. I was planning on doing a soft landing via Detroit but I’ve read some responses above that suggest otherwise.
I would like to ask if any one has submitted a web form asking to extend their CoPR date and what was the reply? Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks

shatufsahib

Apr 5, 2020
If you read what my last post you will see that a soft landing right now is fraught with difficulties. The only feasible way it might work out would be if you come for a reasonable period of more than 14 days ( to allow for self isolation) and then returned home. It may be worth emailing IRCC and asking them for an extension. It will be interesting to see if they simply extend the copr by the length of the shutdown or whether they will require new meds / police which would in my opinion create unjust delays and expense for COPR holder caught up in the current crises.
@Beltex Thanks for the reply..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Would recommend you wait and see the situation closer to your COPR landing date. June 26 th is still quite far away and you don’t know whether people will be landing easier at that point. If in June trqvel is still limited around the world then you have concrete reasons why you need an extension.

ca-us

Apr 12, 2020
Hello everyone, I'm in the same situation but I'm wondering about the duration of the quarantine.
I will land on April 5 and return to my home country on April 6, so the next day.
I'm going to sleep one night in a hotel near the airport.
I'm wondering about the quarantine of 14 days since we will only stay one night. Is this a problem?
Hi, Any update on your travel? I am in the same boat and planning to travel on Apr 18 from US to Canada and come back on Apr 19 to US. Are we allowed to come back / go out of Canada within this 14 day self-isolation period?

ca-us

Apr 12, 2020
Hello Folks, I am currently in US on H1-B and my COPR is expiring on Apr 29, 2020. I have a flight to go to Canada on Apr 18 and come back to US on Apr 19.
Can I return from Canada in this 14 days self-isolation period? From the US CBP Side, I confirmed that I am allowed to come. Anybody in similar situation or recently been to canada and did soft-landing?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello Folks, I am currently in US on H1-B and my COPR is expiring on Apr 29, 2020. I have a flight to go to Canada on Apr 18 and come back to US on Apr 19.
Can I return from Canada in this 14 days self-isolation period? From the US CBP Side, I confirmed that I am allowed to come. Anybody in similar situation or recently been to canada and did soft-landing?
Based on other posts here a soft landing from the US would not currently be considered essential travel currently by CBSA so you may an issue when you arrive to complete a landing.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html

Not sure there is any way around the 14 days mandatory isolation but others can correct.

Last edited:

Beltex

Star Member
Jan 24, 2017
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London UK
I have heard all sorts of rumours about what you can and can't do regarding the 14 days quarantine - does anyone have any first hand knowledge?

Things I would like to know;

1) Can you hire a car at the airport and drive to your intended city?

2) Can you rent a hotel room for isolation purposes?

4) What about food etc can you go out to the supermarket for supplies if you don't have anyone who can do it for you?

5) After the 14 days are there any on going restrictions ( like the UK "lock-down") in Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I have heard all sorts of rumours about what you can and can't do regarding the 14 days quarantine - does anyone have any first hand knowledge?

4) What about food etc can you go out to the supermarket for supplies if you don't have anyone who can do it for you?

5) After the 14 days are there any on going restrictions ( like the UK "lock-down") in Canada?
1)not sure about this given also depends on how you might pick up the rental in first place
2)yes
4)no you are not allowed out at all else what’s the point. You must go straight from airport to isolation without stopping off any where. You would need to have any supplies delivered to your isolation.
5)there are lockdown restrictions depending where you are so not a straight forward answer.

https://www.ottawapublichealth.ca/en/public-health-topics/self-isolation-instructions-for-novel-coronavirus-covid-19.aspx#Returning-from-travel-WITHOUT-symptoms-

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/221

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms/provincial-territorial-resources-covid-19.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Beltex

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Isolation means ISOLATION. Going out to supermarkets risks everyone around you and defeats the entire purpose. If you choose to go to a hotel, you need to stay in that hotel room for 14 days and have everything delivered to your door.