+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Social Insurance Number

montreal7986

Aug 10, 2008
hi, my spouse is living with me in Canada (we also married in Canada). We sent in a Permanent Resident applicaiton just a few months ago, so we still have to wait about 3-4 months for the processing time.

They're here on a temporary resident permit (for 6 months) that says "student" on it. Their program of study is also finished.

Is there any way they can get a social insurance number? I am applying for a student loan, and I need a SIN from my spouse to receieve extra benefits. They said that if my spouse doesn't have a SIN I have to apply as single, and I don't get the extra money.

Thanks!

canuck_amuck

Star Member
May 23, 2008
That makes no sense!
They are saying that having a spouse in another country is not having a spouse at all. Well that is certainly wrong. Just because your spouse does not have a SIN number, does NOT make you single. There should be some way to do it. For example, when I filled out my OSAP application (government student loan), my spouse is from the US, so I had to enter 000-000-000 for her SIN number. They never contacted me to tell me it was wrong, I am assuming because they can see on the application that she lives out of the country.

On a side note, I would not file any official paperwork saying that you are single. If you do that, Immigration might nail you for misrepresentation or something and void your immigration application. You are not single, so you should not have to say you are on a form. I would take the matter to someone higher in whatever organization it is you are applying within. Someone will sort it out.

Oh and to answer the first question, no your spouse cannot get a SIN number until they are a permanent resident, or if they have a work permit.

- Canuck