+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Skilled work experience - one job?

Mar 28, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate your help on this one - this is a make or break kind of thing!

I need help understanding whether I have one year's experience or more.

Let's say I've been with the same company for 5 years, and within the same department (which is a translation department), but I've changed teams internally a few times. For example, for 15 months I was a translator, and then I moved teams (same department and company still) and worked in localization.

Each time I've had a new job title, but ultimately the same NOC code and sub-code, same department, same company. What if each time I moved teams I didn't do more than 2 years there before moving to my next team?

The way it's set out on the Express Entry website has me worried that I technically count as having only one year of experience, since I had a new job title every 15 months:

Your work experience must be:

• at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships do not count),
  • in the same job,
  • within the last 10 years, and
  • at skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC).
If you know the answer to this, please help! How can I possibly have a professional career of 5+ years, but maybe in the government's eyes I have the same experience as someone who only graduated a year ago?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! :) :) :)

Advisor_PK

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Islamabad and Toronto
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
04-04-2016
Well if all these roles are "ultimately [under] the same NOC" then you really only need one experience letter from your company detailing the salary etc for all 5 years.

It will be counted as 5 years of experience not 1.

Reactions: Coffeeandcroissants
Mar 28, 2017
Thanks a lot for your response, Advisor_PK!

Do you (or does anyone else) know how to interpret the "in the same job" part?

I have several ideas and I'm not sure which would be correct. Could it mean:

- The same job at the same company?
- The same kind of job (with the same NOC code) but this could be with more than one company?
- Anything else that could count?

Thanks! :)

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Well if all these roles are "ultimately [under] the same NOC" then you really only need one experience letter from your company detailing the salary etc for all 5 years.

It will be counted as 5 years of experience not 1.
Hi,

I have a question regarding this post.
So did you mean that skilled work experience from 2 different position in 2 different country can not be counted?

like for me,

I worked 4+yrs in Bangladesh on my primary occupation and in England I worked 2 yrs on the diff occupation?

So should I calculate my skilled work experience 6+ yrs

thank you for your time.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited: