+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sister's visitor visa refused

Nov 26, 2019
Hi everyone,

My sister's application for a visitor's visa got refused today with the following reasons:

"I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and
in your country of residence.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and
financial status."

My sister was diagnosed with cancer a while back. Her treatment was successful and she's all healthy and well thankfully. But she still has to go for routine medical examinations every three months. We included her oncologist's note and argued that she can't really overstay in Canada because she has a medical routine back home but, apparently it wasn't good enough for them. Should I apply again and include her complete medical record and a new detailed note from her oncologist? My sister is 33, single, has a job, a property which she has rented out and a savings account. Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
One additional thing you could include if have not already would be proof of plan to buy travel insurance given speaking from a friends perspective they found it very expensive from a cancer viewpoint to get insurance to visit Canada. They were in remission and on a 3 monthly check routine but having an insurance plan shows taking responsibility in addition to oncologists note re the checkups and most important fit to travel statement.

With travel generally it is not having had cancer that is the issue it is having a compromised immune system for sometime from any previous treatment so whilst the rejection has not specifically highlighted this suspect it could have been considered.

Also assume you only applied for a 2-3 week stay, another mistake people make when they request anything longer upfront.

Reactions: isuckatpickingnames

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If she was only recently in remission there may be concerns that she will relapse in Canada or she may be coming to Canada for medical reasons. Think she will likely need to wait before she has been in remission for at least over 2 years before

mona r

Star Member
Apr 5, 2014
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney,NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2014
Doc's Request.
April 20,15
Nomination.....
june,2014
AOR Received.
24-09-2014
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-09-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-14
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
08-07-15
Hi everyone,

My sister's application for a visitor's visa got refused today with the following reasons:

"I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and

resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and
financial status."

My sister was diagnosed with cancer a while back. Her treatment was successful and she's all healthy and well thankfully. But she still has to go for routine medical examinations every three months. We included her oncologist's note and argued that she can't really overstay in Canada because she has a medical routine back home but, apparently it wasn't good enough for them. Should I apply again and include her complete medical record and a new detailed note from her oncologist? My sister is 33, single, has a job, a property which she has rented out and a savings account. Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi Can you please share your timeline?

Nov 26, 2019
Hi Can you please share your timeline?
why even mention her medical issue for a visitor visa?
If she was only recently in remission there may be concerns that she will relapse in Canada or she may be coming to Canada for medical reasons. Think she will likely need to wait before she has been in remission for at least over 2 years before
Thanks for the input though it seems quite unreasonable, and rather cold blooded, to me to deny someone a short family visit based on that. She has her oncologist back home and Canadian healthcare is very expensive for visitors. Plus, if someone who is in remission relapses in Canada, they have to return ASAP to start treatment. Overall, I think having a medical necessity like a periodic examination should be considered solid grounds that they won't be able to overstay.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

financial status."

Thanks.
How long a visit did she request? How much did she show in savings?

Nov 26, 2019
How long a visit did she request? How much did she show in savings?
She was planning to visit one month in the summer. She has around 20,000 CAD in savings and I have 50,000 CAD. I also have to add that she is my only sibling and my parents already have TRVs. Could that have played a part?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She was planning to visit one month in the summer. She has around 20,000 CAD in savings and I have 50,000 CAD. I also have to add that she is my only sibling and my parents already have TRVs. Could that have played a part?
Many people get sick while in Canada and aren’t able to return or don’t want to return because their family support is in Canada. She doesn’t have the savings to afford any form of hospital stay to be stabilized before returning. The government couldn’t force you to be responsible for her bills.

Nov 26, 2019
Many people get sick while in Canada and aren’t able to return or don’t want to return because their family support is in Canada. She doesn’t have the savings to afford any form of hospital stay to be stabilized before returning. The government couldn’t force you to be responsible for her bills.
Thank you. I understand the concern here from government's perspective. I explained I will be covering her insurance in the invitation letter. Would it eliminate the concern if I purchase said medical insurance for the duration of her visit and include that with the application?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I understand the concern here from government's perspective. I explained I will be covering her insurance in the invitation letter. Would it eliminate the concern if I purchase said medical insurance for the duration of her visit and include that with the application?
Anything somewhat related to your sister’s cancer isn’t currently insurance. After many years of stability it may eventually be but currently she has a preexisting condition that would result in a lack of coverage for anything related to her cancer.

Nov 26, 2019
Anything somewhat related to your sister’s cancer isn’t currently insurance. After many years of stability it may eventually be but currently she has a preexisting condition that would result in a lack of coverage for anything related to her cancer.
So, basically what I'm hearing is we should have withheld my sister's condition. Is that right? It's disappointing that the system encourages lying instead of honesty.

By the way, just did a quick search and found this: https://clearcompare.ca/
They cover preexisting conditions, including cancer.

Last edited:

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
So, basically what I'm hearing is we should have withheld my sister's condition. Is that right? It's disappointing that the system encourages lying instead of honesty.

You have got this wrong. If you lie about pre existing conditions, and later if it comes out when seeking a claim for an unrelated issue, they can refuse coverage altogether

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

The policy may be extremely expensive and offer very little coverage or

No you should not lie. Approval was not guaranteed had she not declared the cancer history. Given that FN abandon their medical bills regularly it is not unreasonable to deny entry if there are concerns about the person’s health. I did say there is a much better chances once your sister has been in remission for longer.