Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
I have a temporary residency visa that expires on the 31st of August, and the only condition the officer gave me for renewal was showing ties to the USA. My roommate has agreed that my name can stay on the lease as long as I want, so I will have a new lease agreement when I apply for an extension in August.

My question is while I am staying here in Canada (Kamloops actually, BEAUTIFUL place) am I allowed to work side jobs / odd jobs while here? I know that to take any real forms of employment I need a work permit, LMIA, etc.

I'm also an Outland applicant for PR under the Family Class.

Any insight would be appreciated. The extra cash would be helpful!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you're not allowed. That will be classified as working illegally and will be in violation of the conditions of your TRV.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
That answers that. Guess I'm not mowing any lawns this spring!

browning911

Champion Member
Mar 30, 2016
Toronto ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPCMISS
App. Filed.......
30-03-2016
Doc's Request.
Redo IMM5406 and IMM5669 (Jan 2017)
AOR Received.
02-05-2016
Med's Request
00-00-0000
Med's Done....
27-06-2016
Interview........
00-00-0000
Passport Req..
00-00-0000
VISA ISSUED...
00-00-0000
LANDED..........
17-07-2017
Sad thing is you cannot even volunteer. :'(

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
Wow, I was actually considering volunteering at the local red cross or the SPCA because I hate sitting around all day and not being able to do anything.

I can't even volunteer my free time, for free, to help out for a good cause.

That's extremely disappointing. Makes me want to go back to the USA and work until our PR app is done.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
browning911 said:
Sad thing is you cannot even volunteer. :'(
csturner92 said:
Wow, I was actually considering volunteering at the local red cross or the SPCA because I hate sitting around all day and not being able to do anything.

I can't even volunteer my free time, for free, to help out for a good cause.

That's extremely disappointing. Makes me want to go back to the USA and work until our PR app is done.
this is certainly not true. a visitor can certainly volunteer their time, assuming the position is marketed to EVERYONE as a volunteer opportunity. a person can volunteer at the local food bank packaging items because it is a position they don't pay canadians to do and it is marketed as a volunteer only job. A person CANT "volunteer" to do something like admin work for an organization that would normally pay a canadian to do that job. if it's marketed to canadians as a volunteer opportunity, it is NOT considered working illegally. there is a slipperly slope for some volunteer opportunities, but again the defining factor is whether the organization would otherwise pay a canadian to do it if you weren't offering to volunteer.

mowing lawns and odd jobs ARE considered working illegally because that is something that a canadian would be paid to do.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
CDNPR2014 said:
this is certainly not true. a visitor can certainly volunteer their time, assuming the position is marketed to EVERYONE as a volunteer opportunity. a person can volunteer at the local food bank packaging items because it is a position they don't pay canadians to do and it is marketed as a volunteer only job. A person CANT "volunteer" to do something like admin work for an organization that would normally pay a canadian to do that job. if it's marketed to canadians as a volunteer opportunity, it is NOT considered working illegally. there is a slipperly slope for some volunteer opportunities, but again the defining factor is whether the organization would otherwise pay a canadian to do it if you weren't offering to volunteer.
Thank you for the clarification!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Working remotely is also a possibility. As long as you are not working for a Canadian company, or individual, and are remunerated from outside of Canada, it's not a violation and doesn't require a work permit.

Look at some of the freelancer sites and find something that you can do...even in Kamloops. ;)
(just kidding; it is lovely there).

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
Ponga said:
Working remotely is also a possibility. As long as you are not working for a Canadian company, or individual, and are remunerated from outside of Canada, it's not a violation and doesn't require a work permit.

Look at some of the freelancer sites and find something that you can do...even in Kamloops. ;)
(just kidding; it is lovely there).
I'm confused by what you mean on working remotely.

You mean working from home? I've always thought those were scams. What freelance sites are you referring to?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
csturner92 said:
I'm confused by what you mean on working remotely.

You mean working from home? I've always thought those were scams. What freelance sites are you referring to?
yes, working from home. not all work from home jobs are scams. this can also mean working remotely for a job that would be in an office in the us. for example, when i was going through the process, i was an admin for an real estate team. my boss allowed me to work remotely and do my us job from our apt in ottawa. my work was performed via computer and my company's VOIP phone line. when that job ended, i signed up as a freelancer on ODesk (now known as Upwork) and would get small/temp jobs from there. like ponga said, as long as your customer/client is not in canada and you are not getting paid by a canadian company, you can do the work while visiting canada. having a remote job actually helps you cross the border too - when you are employed in the us and work remotely, they see it as less of a chance you will "steal" a job from a canadian.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Exactly. It was a life saver for me when I was going through the vortex!

viva-c

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Toronto, ON
I've been working remotely for my US employer while "visiting" Canada (really living here) waiting for my app to process. It's been great! So nice to not have to rely on a single source of income.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
I see you mentioned UpWork.

Are there any others that aren't scams that you can think of that I could look in to?

Thanks so much :)

jeffporfirio2

Apr 11, 2017
Sask
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
csturner92 said:

Are there any others that aren't scams that you can think of that I could look in to?

Don't know your line of work, but there is also Fiverr

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
csturner92 said:

like the other poster said, it will depend on your industry. Fiverr is alright (though you're not going to be paid very well unless you have a lot of jobs), and another one i looked at was Freelancer. i'm not sure if it's still around though. For admin/marketing/sales jobs i had the best luck on Odesk (now Upwork). the only downside is you are competing against people from all over the world, and there are a lot of people in countries who will work for pennies.