+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should we even consider immigrating at age 45

srilatha.p

Feb 23, 2020
Hi,

I apologize as I am sure this is a most frequently asked question. I am 44 and my spouse is 46. We have a 14 year old daughter. We finally woke up to the thought that if we are really serious about Canada, we should give it our all as a final go. Before that, I would like advise on whether we are going on a wild goose chase. Considering our age, can we even hope that we might be considered for PNP and even if we manage to get the invite, is it easy getting a job?

We would be much obliged for all your advise and suggestions.

srilatha.p

Feb 23, 2020
Thanks for replying. I checked the score in the tool, I will need to take the language test first. I am not eligible for express entry, it has to be PNP only.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Have you researched any PNP programs to see if you are even eligible without a job offer? Most are through Express Entry so I can think of only Saskatchewan that is paper based. You want a high score of 68+ and a NOC on their list to be eligible. You still need education assessments and language tests.

srilatha.p

Feb 23, 2020
As I understand, you need educational assessments and language tests (IELTS) and then a profile needs to be created and I think depending on whether you meet the eligibility requirements, you might or might not be invited. In our case, we can get points through educational assessments, work experience and IELTS but for age we will not get any points. We have requested for our education transcripts so that it can be assessed but just thought to ask in the forum that if we even get invited by some chance, how good are chances of landing up with a job. I work as a Technical Writer in software industry (RPA) and my husband works in Pre-Sales in an another RPA company. Thanks for the reply :), really appreciate it.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Look at Saskatchewan as that may be your only option but you may not be eligible because of age. Do you both have masters degrees because that will help with SINP score?

srilatha.p

Feb 23, 2020
Hi, Thanks for replying. My husband has masters degree but unfortunately I do not have, mine is graduation of 3 years only. I guess going by the replies, it looks bleak for us. No worries, at least I have the satisfaction of enquiring about it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As I understand, you need educational assessments and language tests (IELTS) and then a profile needs to be created and I think depending on whether you meet the eligibility requirements, you might or might not be invited. In our case, we can get points through educational assessments, work experience and IELTS but for age we will not get any points. We have requested for our education transcripts so that it can be assessed but just thought to ask in the forum that if we even get invited by some chance, how good are chances of landing up with a job. I work as a Technical Writer in software industry (RPA) and my husband works in Pre-Sales in an another RPA company. Thanks for the reply :), really appreciate it.
You can estimate your Express Entry using the tool in the link below. You would need to score 468+ to have any hope of being selected out of the Express Entry pool. Most likely it will be very difficult to achieve this score due to your age. But do the calculation to verify.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

srilatha.p

Feb 23, 2020
Your right, I don't think Express Entry is an option for us any longer. As I understood, PNP is the other option but that too looks bleak because we left it rather late.

jugarsep

Star Member
Jan 23, 2020
It is an option if any of you considers the student path. I have seen myself successful stories of people coming with 45+ years to start from scratch and got PR through provincial nomination and a job offer. This path would mean removing yourselves from many privileges and stuff that you may have in order to fulfill your Canadian immigration dream. A lot to think and definitely not a decision to make on a whim.

Saskatoony

Jan 22, 2016
Hello,
I moved to Canada in 2016 with my 3 sons. The only option was student stream because of my age (43) not enough points to apply for EE, I even have a 4 y degree but work experience did not match, so only option student stream. I took a 2 year ECE program which I enjoyed a lot. I could have applied for master but being alone with my 3 kids seemed too challenging. Plus, I chose a program with jobs in demand. I finished school in 2018, got job in 2019 and applied for provincial nomination. Got nomination from province end of 2019 and applied for PR in 2020. Many sleepless nights, living in limbo and it costs a lot $$$!! It is tough and now I m close to burn out. Due to Covid my husband got denied entry. No respite for me. Waiting for PR is nerve wrecking because PNP is very slow. But I would do it all over again. Education system is excellent, and with 48years I could never change my job and get another one in my home country, here it s normal, people start master degrees at 50plus.. and the country is beautiful.. the lakes, the seasons, the people...

Reactions: mrsamcan

mrsamcan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Hello,
I moved to Canada in 2016 with my 3 sons. The only option was student stream because of my age (43) not enough points to apply for EE, I even have a 4 y degree but work experience did not match, so only option student stream. I took a 2 year ECE program which I enjoyed a lot. I could have applied for master but being alone with my 3 kids seemed too challenging. Plus, I chose a program with jobs in demand. I finished school in 2018, got job in 2019 and applied for provincial nomination. Got nomination from province end of 2019 and applied for PR in 2020. Many sleepless nights, living in limbo and it costs a lot $$$!! It is tough and now I m close to burn out. Due to Covid my husband got denied entry. No respite for me. Waiting for PR is nerve wrecking because PNP is very slow. But I would do it all over again. Education system is excellent, and with 48years I could never change my job and get another one in my home country, here it s normal, people start master degrees at 50plus.. and the country is beautiful.. the lakes, the seasons, the people...
That was inspiring. Wish you good luck . covid will get over soon. More power to you.

Vivylavi05

Mar 1, 2021
Have you researched any PNP programs to see if you are even eligible without a job offer? Most are through Express Entry so I can think of only Saskatchewan that is paper based. You want a high score of 68+ and a NOC on their list to be eligible. You still need education assessments and language tests.
Pls am new I want to apply for pnp