+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should landing first WITH FAMILY or WITHOUT FAMILY

navz143

May 7, 2012
Dear Friends,
As it is first ever visit to Canada after taking immigration (with family), I am bit confused to take family along or visit alone first. Will it make any difference? Need your quick responses.

Regards
Navz143 :)

kaleem_7

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
30-04-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
12-07-2012
Med's Request
16-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-08-2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-01-2013
LANDED..........
April 28, 2013 Alhamdulillah!
Hello Navz,

The kind if dilema is quite common in new commers like us..

Same thing happened with me.. But after so much of analysis and expert advices, I dicided to go with family..

Both going with or without family has got its own pros and cons.

If you are going with family, you will have trouble if you don't have anyone already there to guide to in getting accomodation etc.. But if you have enough funds to support yourself and your family, then there shuldn't be a prob at all... Also the size of you family will matter.. But if you have got children, you should be happy to know that you are entitle to get child benefits there.. aprox CAD 400 Per child.. But you will get them after 3 months or so but with arrears...

So discuss with you spouse and put pros and cons on a piece of paper for both situations... and they decide on what best would suite your case

All the very best from side.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
navz143 said:
Dear Friends,
As it is first ever visit to Canada after taking immigration (with family), I am bit confused to take family along or visit alone first. Will it make any difference? Need your quick responses.

Regards
If you are the principal applicant you alone can go to Canada as a new immigrant with permanent resident visa. It is not a visit but for "landing" as new immigrant. If there is enough time for the family's visa validity ( one year from the date of medical or expiry date of each family member's passport, which ever come first), they can also land in Canada later, but before expiring their visa. If you opt to land first and make suitable place for your family's living, it is always a better idea.

navz143

May 7, 2012
kaleem_7 said:
Hello Navz,

Same thing happened with me.. But after so much of analysis and expert advices, I dicided to go with family..

If you are going with family, you will have trouble if you don't have anyone already there to guide to in getting accomodation etc.. But if you have enough funds to support yourself and your family, then there shuldn't be a prob at all... Also the size of you family will matter.. But if you have got children, you should be happy to know that you are entitle to get child benefits there.. aprox CAD 400 Per child.. But you will get them after 3 months or so but with arrears...

So discuss with you spouse and put pros and cons on a piece of paper for both situations... and they decide on what best would suite your case

Dear Kaleem,
Thanks for the prompt response. Can you please also share the initial problems you have been faced with family? I already knew that they pay child benefit but its was unknown to me that they also pay arrears. One more question here, if my family visits after 6 months, so will they also pay arrears of six months?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Navz

navz143

May 7, 2012
wilson said:
If you are the principal applicant you alone can go to Canada as a new immigrant with permanent resident visa. It is not a visit but for "landing" as new immigrant. If there is enough time for the family's visa validity ( one year from the date of medical or expiry date of each family member's passport, which ever come first), they can also land in Canada later, but before expiring their visa. If you opt to land first and make suitable place for your family's living, it is always a better idea.
Thank you so much Wilson. I am thinking in the same capacity which you mentioned above.

kaleem_7

Star Member
Sep 20, 2012
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
30-04-2012
IELTS Request
sent along with application
File Transfer...
12-07-2012
Med's Request
16-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-08-2012
Interview........
Waived!!
Passport Req..
16-07-2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-01-2013
LANDED..........
April 28, 2013 Alhamdulillah!
navz143 said:
Dear Kaleem,
Thanks for the prompt response. Can you please also share the initial problems you have been faced with family? I already knew that they pay child benefit but its was unknown to me that they also pay arrears. One more question here, if my family visits after 6 months, so will they also pay arrears of six months?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Navz
Hello Navz, I haven't landed yet.. I am still in India and I shall be Landing Toronto on 28th of April 2013. But I have my friends over there and they suggested me this... And no, you will not be able to claim benefits for children for the period which there were not in Canada.. So, they must be in Canada in order for you to be able to claim the amount. And yes, you will have to get your family befoe their Visas expire.. that is within one year of the medical test... But you should not ideally be leaving the country until you get your PR card.. So, I think it is good idea to take them with you if you are able to support t yourself and family with enough funds.. and you would get theth benefits with Arrears.

hope this information is helpful to you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
navz143 said:
One more question here, if my family visits after 6 months, so will they also pay arrears of six months?
No.

Mangatholi

Nov 12, 2012
Have you considered the option of you and your family landing in Canada to complete the 'landing' procedure and then after a week or so of vacation, they can go back for a while. In the mean time, you can be in Canada building up(including finding yourself a suitable job) all the necessary things for your family to return and settled down in Canada for good. You can find out a suitable school for your children and also take time in finding a suitable residence nearby without having to grab whichever comes first. You have to be on your own for sometime, but I guess that will pay well later rather than burning your dollars quickly by having the whole family right from the beginning before you find a suitable source of income in a new place. This is just my opinion. Ultimately, its your life, your money and your preferences. Good luck.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Landing with / without family
Advantages
1. Pleasure of company of family members.
2. Spouse can also assist in deciding things.
3. Spouse can also work for income.

Disadvantages
1. New immigrant may have to change location several times and moving with family can be a big problem.
2. Monthly expense would be high. ( single adult person can even live in shared accomodation, not maintain a car,chances of falling sick is less reducing medicine cost)
3. Will have to give more time towards the family and thus reducing the time and efforts towards job search.

CCTB : Should not be deciding factor.

globalsc

Aug 18, 2010
india
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2010
Doc's Request.
07-05-2010 (Ist AOR)
Nomination.....
N.A.
AOR Received.
23-08-2010 (2nd AOR)
IELTS Request
14-08-2010
File Transfer...
11-05-2010 IP 23-02-2012
Med's Request
08-11-2012
Med's Done....
20-12-2012 DD En-Cashed 22-01-2013
Interview........
NOT CALLED
Passport Req..
8-11-2012 send > 27-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made 12-02-13 Passports Red. 15/02/13
LANDED..........
24th May 2013
navz143 said:
Dear Friends,

Regards
@navz143

It is the obligation of the PA to 'land' first. Which can be 'alongwith' one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA's dependents CANNOT land first.

Smip86

Sep 23, 2011
India-Nagpur
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2012
Doc's Request.
Sent With Application
Nomination.....
PER Received on 29-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-04-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Band Sent with Application
File Transfer...
27-04-2012
Med's Request
Received on 07-09-2012
Med's Done....
29-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Received on 07-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 30-11-2012
LANDED..........
Planning for SEP.13
Hello Friends,

On this Topic Wat will be your views for couple with 2yrs old kid .

We have relative in Toronto & Montrel n luckly all of them r ready to assits us.

Infact my uncle (Single) will be with us & he is ready to share normal daily expenses for ex.Rent, fooding etc etc.

In turns of that my spouse have very decent Job here in India with god package, but looking a future growth we had decided to apply for PR & also successful got it in Nov.12.

Just want views so that i can decide further course of action for Moving to Canada.

Regards
Smip86

Mangatholi

Nov 12, 2012
Smip86 said:
Hello Friends,

On this Topic Wat will be your views for couple with 2yrs old kid .

We have relative in Toronto & Montrel n luckly all of them r ready to assits us.

Infact my uncle (Single) will be with us & he is ready to share normal daily expenses for ex.Rent, fooding etc etc.

In turns of that my spouse have very decent Job here in India with god package, but looking a future growth we had decided to apply for PR & also successful got it in Nov.12.

Just want views so that i can decide further course of action for Moving to Canada.

Regards
Smip86
My personal advise would be that you make the initial landing and get adapted to Canada before getting your wife leave a good paying job. As per Canadian standards, a kid is considered as 0.5 person. It is legal for two persons to share a room, but when you hire a place, you will have to legally hire 2 bedroom place even if all of you sleep in the same room. Some landowners accept and adjusts, but if they are strict about this law, you will end up shelling out more money right from the beginning. Since your baby is only 2 year old, you have some time to do the recce about child education and all that. Before that you can find a job in your skill set and settle before you ask your wife to resign to come to Canada. This way, you will ensure that some funds are flowing in whether it is in India or in Canada and will not put pressure on your bank balances.

hr98115

Mar 1, 2013
kaleem_7 said:
Hello Navz,

Thanks Kaleem & everyone. I found your posts really informative. I have a quick question. My situation is a bit different. My wife is working in Seattle and we have our visa extensions from USA. I applied for Canadian immigration and have recently got my visa with one year validity to land. My wife will not be able to land ( infact drive from Seattle) with me as I am not sure if they will allow us to re-enter in USA without stamped visa as we have extensions. I have heard that they do NOT attached your I94 if you are driving to Canada for a few days and you can come back on the same I94. Will call the border agencies to be sure. My questions for you are as follows
1. If I drive to Canada and apply for PR, will I be able to leave Canada within one week . ( Is there a travel document. I do have a relative in Vancouver who can even mail me the PR)
2. Can I use my joint USA bank account with my wife statement as proof of funds or so they require some physical cash too.
3. Am I allowed to bring my car to Canada and return with a week or 2.
4. Does anyone have any idea about reentry to USA if they do not detach the I94 ?
Thanking all of you guys in advance

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
navz143 said:
Dear Friends,

Regards
I'd say, you land first and let the family join you after 2-3 months, once you have an accomodation
also it will be expensive if u all come along same time

FSW Family

Mar 17, 2013
I understand from this site that:

""
WHO SHOULD LAND FIRST:
It is the obligation of the PA to 'land' first. Which can be 'alongwith' one or more or all the accompanying family members. Let it be clear that the PA's dependents CANNOT land first.

""

But the landing paperwork that arrived with our family's IMM 5688 last week stated two options:

EITHER:

I) ALL FAMILY MEMBERS DO THE LANDING AT SAME TIME (I.E. NO OPTION FOR LESS THAN FULL FAMILY)
II) PA DOES LANDING FIRST THEN OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS FOLLOW

We want to land without our son at this stage. Is this allowed or not ?

Thanks