+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I marry before or after doing PR landing

littlewitch

Jun 29, 2014
Hi I have few questions I hope to find answers to solve this.

I got a COPR few weeks ago and I’m thinking to do landing formalities by February 2022.

My PR application is only for myself when I applied. Now I got situation that I’m early stage of pregnancy and I need to get married ASAP if possible. My bf is not Canadian.

I’m worried if I get married my PR will be refused at the landing point. Please suggest me what are the best scenarios or solutions that would help me go though this?

I hope to give birth to a child in Canada if possible. Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi I have few questions I hope to find answers to solve this.

I got a COPR few weeks ago and I’m thinking to do landing formalities by February 2022.

My PR application is only for myself when I applied. Now I got situation that I’m early stage of pregnancy and I need to get married ASAP if possible. My bf is not Canadian.

I’m worried if I get married my PR will be refused at the landing point. Please suggest me what are the best scenarios or solutions that would help me go though this?

I hope to give birth to a child in Canada if possible. Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
If you get married before landing, then you must return your COPR and let IRCC know you have gotten married. You must then submit all of the paperwork to add your new spouse to your application including PCCs, medical, etc. You CANNOT use your old COPR to land if you have gotten married. You MUST follow the steps to return your COPR and have your spouse added to your application. Note that it will take a number of months for IRCC to add your spouse to your application and to issue a new COPR to your and your new spouse. I would plan on six months or more.

If you want to use your existing COPR to land, you MUST wait to get married and land first in Canada to become a PR before you get married.

If you get married before you land and become a PR but do not add your spouse to your application as it is mandatory to do, then you will never be able to sponsor your spouse for PR. You will also have committed misrepresentation by landing on a COPR that indicates you are single when you are in fact married.